Page 16 of 86 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

All I can say is you guys are rushing my summer away!!!!

Yes they sure seemed to be in a happy mood last Friday but I took that as they were happy to have the tour almost finished.

I very much doubt they had any say what-so-ever as to who was/wasn't included. I think the fact that there is still ongoing litigation with Felder & the band would preclude his inclusion. Bernie & Randy quit the band. Bernie was invited back to play with the band but was not invited back as a member of the band.

I am so very proud for these guys. It is well deserved & long overdue. IIRC didn't Don take JD as his "date" to the RRHoF?

I find the entire article to be an insult to my intelligence as well as my love of the 'arts' because I truly enjoy ALL forms of art...well-written plays, musical productions, dance (and not just ballet), the symphony and concerts. It is narrow-minded and prejudice to ignore ANY segment of "performing" art just because it is more modern-day. I applaud the Kennedy Center for having the insight and courage to grow and expand by recognizing there is so much more to the arts than those areas that existed at the time of its inception.

VA, I read your comment at the end of the article and you really hit the nail on the head! I must say that the writer comes across as a member of the limo-riding, designer-wearing, dripping-in-jewels segment of society who have the misguided belief that it's their responsibility and right to decide what qualifies as art. I have little respect for folks like that.
    I just need a little downtime.........

The members of a band have a contract that includes their names as members of a band when they sign their group's recording contract.
    It may be implied that an honor includes members of the band who have been signed as official members of a band in an official band (band name) contract.

An honor is an honor.

Stuck on the Border

I'm clearly a low-brow because the only names I recognised on that honors list were George Lucas, Carole King and the Eagles. Another way to look at it is that a list that includes popular culture along with more classical culture is beneficial to the less well-known performers. Their names and the tributes to their work will reach a much bigger audience.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    I find the entire article to be an insult to my intelligence as well as my love of the 'arts' because I truly enjoy ALL forms of art...well-written plays, musical productions, dance (and not just ballet), the symphony and concerts. It is narrow-minded and prejudice to ignore ANY segment of "performing" art just because it is more modern-day. I applaud the Kennedy Center for having the insight and courage to grow and expand by recognizing there is so much more to the arts than those areas that existed at the time of its inception.

VA, I read your comment at the end of the article and you really hit the nail on the head! I must say that the writer comes across as a member of the limo-riding, designer-wearing, dripping-in-jewels segment of society who have the misguided belief that it's their responsibility and right to decide what qualifies as art. I have little respect for folks like that.
    What gets me is there is a well respected and well known Performing Arts Center right down the road from the Kennedy Center, Wolf Trap. It's biggest venue, the Filene Center, is an amphitheater, so of course it's not formal. They pride themselves on covering all the performing arts. Their smaller venue is The Barns. JD Souther played The Barns a few years ago, as has Shawn Colvin. Joe played Filene Center in 2012, Robert Plant played there in 2013. I've seen Riverdance there, Mozart's The Magic Flute opera, and The National Symphony. I've seen Barbara Mandrell there and Mary Chapin Carpenter as well.

I should have suggested to the author that he form a committee who is willing to come up with a prestigious award that 'means something' and award it to those that only 10% of DC's population can relate to. Then let me know how long that lasts.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

I expect the TV audience is affected by how well known the Kennedy Centre Honours. recipients are. The TV company will be very pleased that some famous artists will be there to attract the viewers.

This article must deserve some award for the number of inaccuracies per paragraph: http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/07/26...-muscle-shoals

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    The members of a band have a contract that includes their names as members of a band when they sign their group's recording contract.
    It may be implied that an honor includes members of the band who have been signed as official members of a band in an official band (band name) contract.

An honor is an honor.
    The Variety article at the start of this thread clearly states that the 'core' (i.e. current) band members are to be honoured.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm clearly a low-brow because the only names I recognised on that honors list were George Lucas, Carole King and the Eagles. Another way to look at it is that a list that includes popular culture along with more classical culture is beneficial to the less well-known performers. Their names and the tributes to their work will reach a much bigger audience.
    Seiji Ozawa is a renowned Japanese conductor (I have a CD of him conducting the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto). Rita Moreno is a Hispanic actress best known for her role in West Side Story for which she won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Cicely Tyson is an African American actress known for her roles in films like Sounder.

Out on the Border

Are you aware there's a petition out there on Change.Org that's asking the Kennedy Center to reconsider including past Eagles members? And that Don Felder Tweeted it yesterday? Are you kidding me? What do you think of this petition?

Banned

It's just a hunch but if Felder get's invited, I think he could be the only Eagle in attendance.
    Would he really have the gall to accept an honour on behalf of the Eagles after publicly slagging them off for the last 10 years or so?