Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

I can believe it. Food at home was pretty uninteresting and restaurants were worse from what I can remember. One of the 1973 bootleg's has Glenn complaining about the food in London - something about the thin white bread and micro-slices of ham and after three days you can't go to the bathroom, either.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Glenn, cultivating his own electricity.
    Love this, UTW!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Can you imagine if Glenn or Don had any insight about beloved their music would become?
    Maybe they did, on some level? Their meticulousness in the studio was legend, as if they knew they were crafting those records for the ages. I don't recall the exact Glenn quote but he talked about polishing and polishing the music like a piece of furniture, to get it perfect.

I don't know what inspired or motivated such a fierce work ethic, that would be interesting to know. People in their twenties don't typically have a long-range perspective on anything.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Maybe they did, on some level? Their meticulousness in the studio was legend, as if they knew they were crafting those records for the ages. I don't recall the exact Glenn quote but he talked about polishing and polishing the music like a piece of furniture, to get it perfect.

I don't know what inspired or motivated such a fierce work ethic, that would be interesting to know. People in their twenties don't typically have a long-range perspective on anything.
    IMO, they wanted success and everything that went with it, the money, the women, the life. People from Glenn's past, like Seger, have mentioned how 'driven' he was/is. I don't think Henley was any slouch in that department, but being a country boy from Texas, he likely seemed (deceptively so) more laid back. They knew the path to success was giving fans what they wanted, and for their own personal preference, they wanted the respect of their peers. Since they had the talent and the drive and the intelligence to know how to get what they wanted, they succeeded beyond even what they could have envisioned.

I feel it's pretty rare in any field to find talent, drive, intelligence, and a strong work ethic. I could even toss in good looks, because that helps in any field as well. To compare to the corporate world, they have what the guy on the top floor with the corner office has, who worked his way up from the bottom, and there aren't very many of those, either, and to get there, you have to be that way from long before you hit 20.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love the phrase too!

Btw, I can't remember, did Glenn ever wear the sequined belt in a concert?

To me, it just doesn't look like something he would wear at all, but there he is in the picture! It just defies everything 'Glenn'!

And I agree with you NMB about him looking like a guy working at the gas station, except for the belt!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Steve Martin remembered Glenn telling him "I want to be a rock star so bad it hurts".

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post

They probably did, but probably not on the scale that it has become(ie:more popular now than in the 70s, I think).

As for the work ethic, I believe that that was probably instilled in them in childhood, at least in Don's case. In the preface to Heaven is Under our Feet, Don talks about having to get up "an ungodly hour" every Saturday morning to help his dad with the garden, so I'm sure that part of that drive and work ethic came from things like that.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

To me, the belt buckle looks like something a country musician like Charlie Daniels would wear.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Steve Martin remembered Glenn telling him "I want to be a rock star so bad it hurts".
    Many people want success and its rewards, but they don't want to put in the work. Remember how Chris Hillman implied that the Eagles were kind of unusual in that respect - not that other bands didn't work, but perhaps not as hard, or their approach was not as exacting.

OT: I have to get cracking on "Heaven Is Under Our Feet" - I bought it weeks ago and it's still sitting in my To Be Read pile.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Btw, I can't remember, did Glenn ever wear the sequined belt in a concert?

To me, it just doesn't look like something he would wear at all, but there he is in the picture! It just defies everything 'Glenn'!
    It made a TV appearance, maybe to provide a break from wall-to-wall demin:

And don't forget the gold shoes bringing a little sparkle to the white shirt and jeans combination for that infamous benefit.