Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

After checking the stage outfits of some of the 70s (british) pop groups, I think they made a wise choice with their image. Jeans, t-shirts and cowboy boots have aged well; gold, knee-high platform boots have not. What's more, they can still get away with a modified version of the look.

I was interested that they at least considered something flashier. From what we've heard of Glenn attending a Beatles concert and his plan that, “everybody had to look good, sing good, play good, and write good", I've been surprised that they didn't try to exploit their image more. Somewhere along the line, they decided they wanted to look like their audience rather than being held up as pop idols with girls screaming at their feet. The lower profile may have helped them stay relatively down-to-earth, too.

Whilst I'm at it, I'll repost a link to John Hartmann's blog about the Eagles image: http://theholodigm.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=symmetry

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Jethro Tull is a rather gentlemanly band too, but, again, there may have been some morons in their audience. Would be interesting to know which band's audiences gave the Eagles a hard time. Of course it's possible too that this happened only once or twice, but Randy remembered them as funny situations.
    Whenever I've seen the members of Jethro Tull interviewed on TV documentaries they've always come across as being pretty normal guys. In actual fact, my dad once knew someone who knew Ian Anderson, and IIRC this guy found him to be decent.

I'm glad the Eagles didn't go for fancier costumes. I find that in rock music getting your to band wear specific costumes (beyond wearing similar T-shirts, such as on Pink Floyd's Animals Tour when Roger Waters and David Gilmour both wore T-shirts with a pig on the front) doesn't tend to work well with certain exceptions. With people like David Bowie and Peter Gabriel it was part of their expression as an artist and although KISS aren't really my cup of tea I can understand why their costumes are part of their identity. By contrast, for bands like the Eagles where the songs are the stars, wearing flashy outfits wouldn't seem right, and when other more straightforward rock bands try this the results in my view are usually a bit embarrassing...

With regards to Don H.'s quote about band cohesiveness, it's just another classic example of the length they went to keep details about the infighting under wraps.

I can almost see Don H.'s facial muscles twitching when he answered that question!
    Last edited by NOLA; 06-23-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Maybe it's for the best that we never saw Henley in an open-chested catsuit a la Freddie Mercury. Likewise, I don't think any of the boys' looks would be improved by make-up.

Stuck on the Border

I wondered about the Rod Stewart satin trousers but it's hard to beat those how-the-***-did-they-get-them-on? jeans.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Maybe it's for the best that we never saw Henley in an open-chested catsuit a la Freddie Mercury. Likewise, I don't think any of the boys' looks would be improved by make-up.
    Not the mental image I wanted to picture just as I'm getting woke up for the day

I never cared much for the outrageous get ups wore during the 70s. I see photos and just say "why?. While I get the point of doing so, it has never appealed to me. I prefer normal looking rockstars.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I wondered about the Rod Stewart satin trousers but it's hard to beat those how-the-***-did-they-get-them-on? jeans.
    Anytime I think of those kinds of jeans, Robert Plant comes to mind, but so does this photo:

How the did Glenn them on, and how did they not split or hurt something valuable? (If you catch my drift )

Is that the belt buckle someone mentioned above?
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Anytime I think of those kinds of jeans, Robert Plant comes to mind, but so does this photo:

How the did Glenn them on, and how did they not split or hurt something valuable? (If you catch my drift )

Is that the belt buckle someone mentioned above?
    LOL, that's the belt & the picture that we have dubbed "Come Hither"!

ETA: I believe that the belt is in the RRHOF. Some here who have been there can correct me on that if it isn't.

Here's a Glenn one from 1974:
    "Now we are at a point where we have to plan our careers four or five months in advance to make it comfortable for us. The group is now two years old. A lot of bands don't even last two years," he proudly stated. "Especially when you have a lot of famous people in them. The Eagles are never going to have any personnel changes or have any kind of that nonsense going down. It is just unfair to our fans. [...] When people initially become fans of yours, they don't want to see the personnel change."
    Never say never, Glenn! Isn't it cute how proud he is that they'd lasted two whole years? lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Here's a Glenn one from 1974:
    "Now we are at a point where we have to plan our careers four or five months in advance to make it comfortable for us. The group is now two years old. A lot of bands don't even last two years," he proudly stated. "Especially when you have a lot of famous people in them. The Eagles are never going to have any personnel changes or have any kind of that nonsense going down. It is just unfair to our fans. [...] When people initially become fans of yours, they don't want to see the personnel change."
    Never say never, Glenn! Isn't it cute how proud he is that they'd lasted two whole years? lol
    That's too funny! There are a lot of things that he said that the "never say never" phrase applies to.