Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

The Bob Seger concert earlier this year is the first time I've been to any concert where the fans truly appreciated the warm-up band and didn't act like a bunch of 5-yr olds. J. Geils was the opening act. For the most part, people just want the opening act off the stage so the act they paid the money to see can get on the stage, and that was more prevalent in the 70's than now. The exceptions I can think of were double-billed acts as opposed to opener/headliner.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    What do you mean by this? Did that kind of a thing really happen? YES is a very beautiful band, and I would be very surprised to hear that their audience has behaved "like douches".
    I consider Yes one of the most misunderstood bands ever (NOT about virtuosity at all), but that's another story and has nothing to do with this...
    I was just kidding! I used "Yes" because I knew the Eagles had opened for Yes. That's the only reason. The truth is all I know about Yes is that the Eagles opened for them in 1972; I do not know any of their songs. I have no grudge against them. I don't even know what type of music they play.

However, I will take your word for it that Yes fans are all very nice people who undoubtedly treated the Eagles with the utmost respect.

Upon further reflection, I am convinced that NMB is right and it was the Jethro Tull fans.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've been on edge all day, and reading those quotes made me relax some. Thanks Soda!

As for Yes, I'm a bit more than a casual fan. (I'm in the minority who loves Jon Anderson's voice). They have their fair share of soft songs, Wondrous Stories for example.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Hopefully it wasn't the Procul Harum fans. It's so funny that they opened for all those british bands, From what I've read, the Eagles got on well with Procul Harum, introduced cocaine to Yes and ignored and were ignored by Jethro Tull ("Leaping Leotard"). Let's blame it on the Tull fans.

Check out these Glenn quotes from 1973 after the release of Desperado and the fact that it wasn't doing so well (emphasis mine in the quotes below):
    "What is happening right now in what I call the age of chaos is that most of the kids want to see something that is totally removed from their day to day existence. They would rather see Alice Cooper or David Bowie simply because they are unlike anything else in their lives. We have an escapist subculture and the demand is already there. You don't really have to create a demand for Alice Cooper. For music like ours, I don't know whether there is a great demand. We have to work hard at it simply because we may look like kids who would be going to New York City College. Who knows how many kids in the escapist culture want to escape into reality. I think the more insane things get, then the more the kids will want to have emotional types of experiences. Kids are going to wanna get off instead of go crazy. So we are not going to change it."

As to why they aren't selling more tickets for the Desperado tour, especially when compared to flashier acts:
    "I don't think we have lost any of our audience [to flashier acts]. That audience was never ours to begin with. I don't know whether our audience goes to concerts. I have had flashes that a lot of people that buy our records wouldn't be caught dead in the seething mass of 6,000."
    Guess he found out the answer to these questions! How about a seething mass of 16,000?

Stuck on the Border

I wonder if they ever considered a flashier image. Maybe that's what Glenn's sequined belt was about.

How funny! He actually addresses that in the next paragraph (emphasis mine)!
    "Anybody who goes on stage to perform is representing himself the way he wants to represent himself, sincerely or insincerely. I'd just rather cultivate my own electricity. It depends upon how famous you want to get. Visually we are an excellent looking band. Everybody looks good, nice, angular, lean California boys. I guess we would just look fabulous if we were to slick it up and appear in outrageous clothes. However, the Eagles won't be wearing glitter this year anyway."
    Not too modest about their looks, eh, but he's just bein' real!

Stuck on the Border

So they didn't want to be Busy Being Fabulous, even then.

I need to go and think of fabulous stage outfits. Sweet dreams!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Hopefully it wasn't the Procul Harum fans. It's so funny that they opened for all those british bands, From what I've read, the Eagles got on well with Procul Harum, introduced cocaine to Yes and ignored and were ignored by Jethro Tull ("Leaping Leotard"). Let's blame it on the Tull fans.
    It's ProcOl Harum, by the way. I didn't know/remember that the Eagles toured with them too. Great music.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I was just kidding! I used "Yes" because I knew the Eagles had opened for Yes. That's the only reason. The truth is all I know about Yes is that the Eagles opened for them in 1972; I do not know any of their songs. I have no grudge against them. I don't even know what type of music they play.

However, I will take your word for it that Yes fans are all very nice people who undoubtedly treated the Eagles with the utmost respect.

Upon further reflection, I am convinced that NMB is right and it was the Jethro Tull fans.
    It is possible that there were "what is this stupidly simple, soft crap?" people in the Yes audience. There are probably still some "I'm an intelligent person because I listen to this stuff" people among their fans. But that kind of thinking is far from the Yes spirit IMO.

Jethro Tull is a rather gentlemanly band too, but, again, there may have been some morons in their audience. Would be interesting to know which band's audiences gave the Eagles a hard time. Of course it's possible too that this happened only once or twice, but Randy remembered them as funny situations.