Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Default Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

I got this old book called Headliners released in 1981 which features old interviews with the Eagles. Now, you might ask, "Why not put this in the Eagles books thread?" The answer: it is full of such delicious irony (the guy didn't have a clue the Eagles had broken up or their problems behind the scenes) and great quotes that I think it deserves its own thread!

I'll start with the last. Here's Felder's quote from the end of the book, plus commentary - apparently he hadn't gotten the memo about the end of the band either:
    "Even as the live album was climbing the charts the Eagles began making preparations for their next record.

'There's about another album's worth of material,' notes Don Felder, 'that is about half to three-quarters finished, left over, since we started out this last time to do a double album. We've got enough basic tracks with arrangements, overdubs, and stuff that we could finish those songs in, say, six months. There are a lot of options. We're also thinking about starting fresh since I have some ideas and so do Glenn and Henley.'
    [...]
    Altogether it seems the '80s will hear quite a lot from the Eagles."
    Ha!

Here's a quote from Henley, this time from 1976 after Joe joined:
    "'It's much better than it ever has been,' Henley enthused, 'everybody is much happier. There's no struggle, there's no power struggle, no fighting, and none of the problems that used to exist.'"
    Ha!

Even earlier, quotes from Glenn and Don in 1972, after the Eagles LP was out and before Desperado:
    "'Johns was the key to our success,' Frey elaborates. [..] 'I didn't mind him pointing us in a certain direction.'
    [...]
    Johns was a stern taskmaster in the studio and really broke the cocky Eagles in the process of recording until he got them to do exactly what he told them. 'Glynn made us very aware of all the little personal trips within the band,' says Henley. 'He'd just stare at you with his big, strong, burning blue eyes and confront you with the man-to-man talk. You couldn't help but get emotional. We even cried a couple of times.'"
    Can you guys picture that? It's not so much ironic as it kind of gives you an idea of how intimidated they were by Johns at the beginning. That would change!

There's so many more but I'll leave it at that for now. This book is great!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Hilarious stuff. Thanks! "Kisstory" is full of stuff like this.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thanks, Soda! Does it feature all the guys? Well, I guess the author didn't speak with Randy.

Crikey, the book is $97 on Amazon!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Soda, thanks for that, I needed some levity on this Monday afternoon. Of course, my co-workers are wondering what's making me laugh...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue
    Thanks, Soda! Does it feature all the guys? Well, I guess the author didn't speak with Randy.
    Yeah, he talks to Randy, too. The interviews are apparently culled from 1972-1981.

Here's a funny quote from Randy re: 1972 that's amusing when you consider how big they would get:
    "[We're] opening a show. People yell and say weird things while you're playing soft music."
    I can see him now, singing his heart out on "Most of Us Are Sad" while the Yes fans act like douches.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I sure can't picture our guys 'crying' about anything!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I sure can't picture our guys 'crying' about anything!
    There is a possibility that the pain of biting through their lips in an effort to keep their tempers made their eyes water...
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Remember how young these guys were and how much they respected a famous producer like Glyn Johns. When Don tells Johns he wants to sound like John Bonham and Johns tells him "You can't play like John Bonham" - ouch! They were isolated in the studio with Johns and any attempts at ego reinforcement from friends and family over the phone would seem hollow after getting a dressing-down from a big shot. His was the only voice they were hearing at the time. I think the analogy that he was "breaking" them sounds pretty apt.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, he talks to Randy, too. The interviews are apparently culled from 1972-1981.

Here's a funny quote from Randy re: 1972 that's amusing when you consider how big they would get:
    "[We're] opening a show. People yell and say weird things while you're playing soft music."
    I can see him now, singing his heart out on "Most of Us Are Sad" while the Yes fans act like douches.
    Oh, Yes fans never act douchey - those people must have been Tull fans.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

What do you mean by this? Did that kind of a thing really happen? YES is a very beautiful band, and I would be very surprised to hear that their audience has behaved "like douches".
    I consider Yes one of the most misunderstood bands ever (NOT about virtuosity at all), but that's another story and has nothing to do with this...