Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Classic Rock's 100 Top Rock Albums of the 70's

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Ultimate Classic Rock's 100 Top Rock Albums of the 70's

They are represented chronologically from the start of the decade.

Hotel California is the only Eagles album that makes the list, which is ridiculous when you see some of the crap that does make the list.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/70s-r...letter_4572276
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Ultimate Classic Rock's 100 Top Rock Albums of the 70's

Those lists always annoy me! Is there a written version? I'm not going to click through 100 images to see their other picks when it sounds like most of them are unworthy.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I didn't see a written version. I was able to click through rather quickly. FM had two, Fleetwood Mac and Rumors. At least, that's all I remember seeing.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

My favourite album of the 70s, Barnstorm didn't even make the top 100 when it was released so, until it's rediscovered by the darlings of the chic, only a privileged few of us can indulge in it's awesomeness.

Stuck on the Border

I thought most of it was fair enough, but the first Dire Straits album missed out.

Stuck on the Border

I'm a Queen fan. They were the second band I "found" when I was a teenager. I still adore them. So don't get me wrong here...

Whenever (and that is often) I see A Night At The Opera on these lists - or praised anywhere else as one of the greatest albums ever - the following comes to my mind:

Could this by any chance have anything to do with the fact that "Bohemian rhapsody" is on this album? If I gave the following list of songs to all the people who praise this as one of the greatest albums ever, how many of these people would recognize all the songs - and love them?

Death on two legs
    Lazing on a Sunday afternoon
    I'm in love of my car
    You're my best friend
    '39
    Sweet lady
    Seaside rendezvous
    The prophet's song
    Love of my life
    Good company
    God save the queen

It's a fine album, but A Day At The Races is a fine album too. Yet nobody ever mentions it.
    To me it's like (and I'm a 10cc fan too!) calling Original Soundtrack one of the greatest rock/pop albums ever because "I'm not in love" is on it.

Stuck on the Border

I guess Desperado is a little too country for Classic Rock. I'm surprised that some artists have multiple albums on the list, like Kiss and Black Sabbath. The big omission is Wishbone Ash and Argus. However, I have quite a few of those listed and my husband has a lot more.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm surprised that some artists have multiple albums on the list, like ... Black Sabbath.
    Really? One of the greatest and most influential hard rocks bands ever at their absolute zenith.

Stuck on the Border

I'm not surprised they have an album on the list but three? If it was a "heavy rock", then maybe. And where's Deep Purple in Rock?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I'm a Queen fan. They were the second band I "found" when I was a teenager. I still adore them. So don't get me wrong here...

Whenever (and that is often) I see A Night At The Opera on these lists - or praised anywhere else as one of the greatest albums ever - the following comes to my mind:

Could this by any chance have anything to do with the fact that "Bohemian rhapsody" is on this album? If I gave the following list of songs to all the people who praise this as one of the greatest albums ever, how many of these people would recognize all the songs - and love them?

Death on two legs
    Lazing on a Sunday afternoon
    I'm in love of my car
    You're my best friend
    '39
    Sweet lady
    Seaside rendezvous
    The prophet's song
    Love of my life
    Good company
    God save the queen

It's a fine album, but A Day At The Races is a fine album too. Yet nobody ever mentions it.
    To me it's like (and I'm a 10cc fan too!) calling Original Soundtrack one of the greatest rock/pop albums ever because "I'm not in love" is on it.
    I will talk to you about both Opera & Races as well as News Of The World & The Works as often as you like. Opera is in my Top 10 favourite albums - that's all of it, not just Rhapsody. Races includes Somebody To Love, White Man & Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together), for heaven's sake.