Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Welcome to The Border, Scarlet Sun! I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I haven't got round to this thread yet, but I will! I admit that I haven't listened to the Eagles' debut album much , but I should go back to it and listen a little more. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can hardly remember the tune to "Most Of Us Are Sad", but what I do remember is that Glenn's vocal is hardly recognisable as his, at least to my ears. I kept asking myself: is that Glenn ? He just sounds so different. Does anyone else think so?

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Randy Meisner sings 'Most of Us Are Sad.'

I gave my favourites earlier in the thread and they've not changed, still love 'Pretty Maids All In A Row' the best.

Ha! No wonder! Thanks, JF, for clearing that up for me.

I was reading liner notes in a DVD I have about the song, and it stated that it was Glenn on lead vocal. I thought of all the others' voices, and I thought it sounded like Randy, but the voice sounded different even for him. Thus my confusion!

It's unusual for one of the other Eagles to be taking lead vocal on a Glenn -penned song.

My favourite Eagles song is definitely "Heartache Tonight", but I'll have to give a top 10 a lot of thought, as there are just so many that I love.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Welcome to the board Scarlet! Hope you enjoy it here!!

Mrs Frey, Heartache Tonight is the best Glenn Eagles song ever! I totaly agree! Although What Do I Do With My Heart is also a lovely Glenn Eagles song!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Scarlet Sun, welcome to The Border! I like your list. Very good choices.

Check out all the threads. Especially the Introduce Yourself thread. We'd love to know more about you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome from me as well, Scarlet Sun. I like your user name too. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

And MF - I agree it is somewhat unusual that Randy sang lead on a song that Glenn wrote. However, I guess Randy needed another vocal lead on the album and Most of Us Are Sad was the only song they had ready at the time. After all, it was the early days and they recorded the entire album in about three weeks. I like the song a lot, and always wondered what it would sound like with Glenn. As far as I know, Glenn has never performed the song publically since the Eagles recorded it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I don't know the song
    But it's indeed weird dat Randy sang one that Glenn wrote.

And they never played the song again after recording.
    I can't find something.

You can hear the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKLS6oBWsYY

If you listen carefully, you can hear Glenn's and Don's harmony on the third verse... "Love was here today..."

I think it's lovely but no, it's never been performed live to my knowledge.
    Edited to add: I just saw a comment on YouTube where the guy says he DID hear it live as an encore!

BTW, regarding Randy needing an extra vocal, it's interesting that he got three on the album but Don only got two. I know it's been said that Don and Glenn were teamed up from the beginning, but I think that didn't happen until Desperado. I think at first, Glenn and Randy were the pair, as were Don and Bernie. Randy sang on Glenn's song, and Don and Bernie co-wrote Witchy Woman (and both had two vocals instead of three). This is borne out by Glyn Johns saying that Randy and Glenn were always sneaking off together to do pot, lol. (I do realize that Randy co-wrote a song with Bernie, too, but I'm just following an overall pattern).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I thought Glenn also had a hand in writing WW, but refused credit because he didn't like the way the song turned out.(source - "In The Studio" radio show)

I think Randy may have been considered perhaps the best singer in the Eagles when the band started out. Also according to that In The Studio show, Nightingale wasn't originally supposed to be on the debut album, but David Geffen insisted that Henley had to have more than one lead vocal(he supposedly referred to Don as "Golden Throat"). Perhaps Nightingale pushed Get You In The Mood off the album.

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    You can hear the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKLS6oBWsYY

If you listen carefully, you can hear Glenn's and Don's harmony on the third verse... "Love was here today..."

I think it's lovely but no, it's never been performed live to my knowledge.
    Edited to add: I just saw a comment on YouTube where the guy says he DID hear it live as an encore!

BTW, regarding Randy needing an extra vocal, it's interesting that he got three on the album but Don only got two. I know it's been said that Don and Glenn were teamed up from the beginning, but I think that didn't happen until Desperado. I think at first, Glenn and Randy were the pair, as were Don and Bernie. Randy sang on Glenn's song, and Don and Bernie co-wrote Witchy Woman (and both had two vocals instead of three). This is borne out by Glyn Johns saying that Randy and Glenn were always sneaking off together to do pot, lol. (I do realize that Randy co-wrote a song with Bernie, too, but I'm just following an overall pattern).
    Yeh I hear, thanks Soda!