Page 254 of 301 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Not a bad list. I wouldn't have expected The Last Resort or Wasted Time to make it though. Great songs known by harder core fans, not by casual fans.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

It's an OK list & very Henley-heavy. Where is New Kid In Town? I'm glad Lyin' Eyes is there.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    It's an OK list & very Henley-heavy. Where is New Kid In Town? I'm glad Lyin' Eyes is there.
    Perhaps most fans who took the time to vote on it prefer Henley? Or don't care which of them sings the song, they just like the songs they voted for?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Perhaps most fans who took the time to vote on it prefer Henley? Or don't care which of them sings the song, they just like the songs they voted for?
    You just got in before me VA - I was just going to say something similar. Most true fans don't care which of them sings the song, as its the songs which define the Eagles as a group, not each individual singer or which singer sings the most songs....
    I think the list is just fine, it has the usual songs though it would have been nice to see some of the less well known songs make the list especially 'These Shoes' or 'DD/D Reprise' since they are played on the HOTE tour.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

It was just an observation, that's all. I think I am as much a 'true fan' as anyone else.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-29-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Not a bad list. I wouldn't have expected The Last Resort or Wasted Time to make it though. Great songs known by harder core fans, not by casual fans.
    Although I love both of those songs, I have to agree, Brooke. My personal Top Ten would have to include New Kid In Town and Heartache Tonight.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Although I love both of those songs, I have to agree, Brooke. My personal Top Ten would have to include New Kid In Town and Heartache Tonight.
    So would mine.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Good list on the whole, not too unpredictable but I agree with most of the choices. I can't really argue too much with the top three, all of which I consider to be major classics. I was absolutely delighted to see The Last Resort get a richly deserved fourth place. If I could make one change to the list, I would remove Wasted Time (great song but I like others better), of the more likely candidates I would be very happy with either Already Gone or New Kid In Town as a replacement. I'd be equally happy though if WT was replaced by the less well known Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise). I'd suggest Waiting In The Weeds and Long Road Out Of Eden as well but I suspect too few of the voters were familiar with these songs for them to reach the top 10.

I'd personally love to know which songs were in positions 11-20. The Eagles are one of the few bands where a top 10 is not quite enough to accurately summarise their best music as they have so many hits and, more significantly, the hits are great songs and much loved. I feel this makes it difficult for many of the album tracks to make much of an impact on these lists.

Thumbs down though for the inevitable Lebowski quote reference. I actually think it's quite funny in the context of the film, but I don't think going around saying 'I f***ing hate [insert name of band you don't like]' is funny in itself. I can only guess that the resident non-fan suggested the inclusion of this, as it wasn't especially relevant.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Forgive me if this has been posted before. I don't remember seeing it.(I checked for the article in this thread, and I didn't see it. I found it a little while ago while searching Google for reviews of the Eagles' show in Bossier City. (Unfortunately, I didn't find anything about the show at all, even Google alerts failed me).

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/...les-deep-cuts/

The writer picks his favorite deep cut from each of the 6 original albums. Personally, I don't consider In the City a deep cut. He practically tosses LROOE aside, though.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for posting that AG95. This is what I make of his comments on each album:

Eagles - His comments on the album are fair. I disagree only with the choice of Nightingale as the best deep track, to me it's probably the song that stands out least. I'd go for either Take The Devil or TLHTM.

Desperado - I agree that's a better and more cohesive album than the debut, except that I would say it is a bigger improvement than the author suggests. I fully agree with Doolin-Dalton as the best deep cut. I don't find OOC lame and I would say that Outlaw Man and even CKOF are more rock than country-rock (the main difference is their noticeably more distorted guitar sound).

On The Border - I agree with this for the most part, except that Midnight Flyer is bluegrass and not a ballad and I wouldn't call BOML or especially My Man syrupy. GDIH is a great nomination for the best deep track and I agree with the title track as well.

One Of These Nights - I don't see how the title track is typical of the Eagles trademark style up to that point. They'd never done anything like it before except perhaps the previous album's title track, which didn't have the high vocals. Lyin' Eyes is for sure, TITTL is somewhere in between (I think it is somewhat R&B influenced). I'm also somewhat surprised that Visions is suggested as one of the best deep tracks. JOTS is a better nomination, although I would go for ATTIG - I think this was the album where Henley and Frey fully established themselves as the band's best songwriters.

Hotel California - I agree that it's the band's grandest statement and don't disagree about its consistency. The point about LITFL not being as edgy now is fair as music artists can get away with sex and drugs references to a greater extent now (especially in genres like rap). VOL and TALA are both great songs, my pick would be The Last Resort but all of the deep cuts are very strong here in my view.

The Long Run - I disagree that it's a retread of the previous album. It is not as cohesive but I think that it has some very good new musical ideas (ICTYW and Those Shoes especially, KOH to some extent as well). It only really has two ballads, which themselves are quite different in style, with the rest of the music being mostly guitar, bass and drums. It also has one song, Heartache Tonight, which is an oasis of fun rock and roll amongst the darker songs. There is no equivalent ideas In The City is a strong track (I'm surprised he doesn't seem to know that it was originally recorded solo by Walsh) although my two nominations would be The Sad Café and Those Shoes.

Long Road Out Of Eden - Can't really say a lot about his comments on this one. It would have been helpful if he'd stated which songs he'd listened to but if you asked me to name one song that seems like the most natural addition to the list to me, I'd go for Somebody.

Overall I think it is reasonably well written, although I definitely agree with him more on certain albums and tracks than with others.