Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are the Eagles America's best band?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Are the Eagles America's best band?

I was going to say, no one I know from where I grew up heard of those bands before the Eagles popularized the sound! I have some cousins who may of heard of Buffalo Springfield, but that's about it. The Eagles and Linda were on country radio. The others were not, at least not in the Mid-Atlantic.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

OK, they popularised it. They didn't invent it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

True, but I guess it depends on who you talk to. I've always been of the mindset that it can't be called country-rock if it never got played on country radio. They may have invented the sound, and people who were rock purists may have added the 'country', but until Take It Easy came along, only Linda had her toe in the door on main-stream country&western radio.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I was going to say, no one I know from where I grew up heard of those bands before the Eagles popularized the sound!
    I grew up in Southern California in the '70s and didn't know any of those bands' music. I sure knew the Eagles, though.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I wonder why the article didn't mention the Doors or the Beach Boys; maybe they're too old school. Certainly the Eagles are among the very best American bands, no question.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Thanks to my parents and "oldies" radio, I knew about Buffalo Springfield before I knew of the Eagles. I first heard For What Its Worth when I was 5, and it stuck with me.

The other bands (Poco, The Byrds, etc), I didn't know about (or ever hear of) until I was a teenager, and my mom got us DSL internet connection. Then, I began to discover all kinds of music! I honestly hadn't heard of The Flying Burrito Brothers until I watched HoTE. (I knew who Chris Hillman was because he was in Manassas with Stephen Stills).
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

I've got the two Manassas records. They're great! and they must've been an awesome experience live in concert. Another potentially great American band cut off before they reached their audience. If only they were British....

Maybe Hendrix and the Eagles would have met a similar fate if they hadn't crossed the Atlantic

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I've got the two Manassas records. They're great! and they must've been an awesome experience live in concert. Another potentially great American band cut off before they reached their audience. If only they were British....

Maybe Hendrix and the Eagles would have met a similar fate if they hadn't crossed the Atlantic
    I have Down the Road on vinyl. (One of the best, cheap local buys I've ever found for $2). I like it,but it's nowhere near the masterpiece that the first album is. Unfortunately, I'm still on the hunt for it. (Vinyl/cd/cassette, I'll take it in any of those formats).

Have you seen this video of them performing live on some show? https://youtu.be/iKmlcb4HSLM. It blew me away when I first saw it!

I really don't know what caused Manassas to basically be forgotten about. Maybe it was the CSNY reunion in 1974? Americans really sermed to love the British bands for sure! (Or bands that recorded in England lol)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    True, but I guess it depends on who you talk to. I've always been of the mindset that it can't be called country-rock if it never got played on country radio. They may have invented the sound, and people who were rock purists may have added the 'country', but until Take It Easy came along, only Linda had her toe in the door on main-stream country&western radio.
    Maybe the Everly Brothers invented country rock, or proto-country rock. They were played on country radio and Top 40.

My list:

1. The Doors
    2. Steely Dan
    3. Eagles