Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Nice to know that some old threads are being revitalised. Thanks JCL.

Best Ever Song - Desperado.

Going by lead singer:
    Henley; Desperado
    Frey: Ol' '55
    Walsh: Pretty Maids All In A Row
    Schmit: I Can't Tell You Why
    Leadon: I Wish You Peace
    Meisner: Take It To The Limit
    Felder: Visions

I originally had King Of Hollywood down for Glenn but I'm not sure it'd qualify as a Frey lead vocal.
    Then you need another category! Dual+ Lead Vocal: King of Hollywood
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Also, given that Ol '55 is also a shared lead, perhaps you need another one for Glenn. Even if it were a solo lead I wouldn't have chosen it.

The dominant voice on KOH is Don Henley. Glenn sings the high part & Don also sings part of it by himself ('after 'while....)

You can see my previous top 10 on the first page of the thread. I guess now it is this:

New Kid In Town
    Lyin' Eyes
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    Tequila Sunrise
    Take It Easy
    Heartache Tonight
    Life In The Fast Lane
    Get Over It
    King Of Hollywood
    Outlaw Man

This is how I feel right now. I don't listen to them as much as I used to, I'm afraid. The biggest omission is Hotel California & the other from a Frey fan's perspective is Peaceful Easy Feeling. I have heard both songs far too often. New Kid In Town is the one I choose above all others.

Quote Originally Posted by sad-cafe View Post
    right now it is Life In The Fast Lane

I think it is better than Hotel California!

I also love Best of My Love
    Agree, sad-cafe, for top song vote! Love LITFL so much more than HC.

To round out my top five:

2. You Never Cry Like a Lover (love Don's husky vocal)
    3. Try and Love Again (the overexposure of TITTL drives me nuts! give me any other lead by Randy)
    4. Learn to Be Still (for the lyrics and Don's vocal)
    5. Seven Bridges Road (top-notch harmony)

For a little lagniappe:
    Teenage Jail (wicked duet between Glenn and Don!)
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Also, given that Ol '55 is also a shared lead, perhaps you need another one for Glenn. Even if it were a solo lead I wouldn't have chosen it.

The dominant voice on KOH is Don Henley. Glenn sings the high part & Don also sings part of it by himself ('after 'while....)
    I did spend quite a bit of time choosing the Best Ever Eagles Song!!! with Glenn as lead vocalist.

After some thought I came up with King Of Hollywood but then decided that as a joint lead vocal with Henley slightly more dominant, I needed to change my choice. It was either Ol' 55 or You Are Not Alone.

Again Ol' 55 features Don and I'm really not sure what percentage the other guys contribute to You Are Not Alone. I wouldn't want to choose a song that Glenn's the only Eagle on it. How Long also has the Henley issue. Heartache Tonight, definitely a Frey lead but has a lot of group vocals. New Kid In Town, Take It Easy, Outlaw Man and Already Gone etc. are good shouts but then I'd be down to my second string favourites.

I think I need to bend the rules slightly and say my Best Ever Eagles Song!!! with Glenn as pure lead vocalist is Lover's Moon. It's a live bootleg but otherwise it meets all the relevant criteria.

I had no such struggles with the other Eagles. Bernie's [I]I Wish You Peace [/I ]just nudges out My Man and as much as I love Try And Love Again, I can't, not vote for Take It To The Limit as Randy's top song.

Lastly. as Hotel California is picking up a lot of stick, I must say, although I didn't vote for it, I still think it's brilliant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post

For a little lagniappe:
    Teenage Jail (wicked duet between Glenn and Don!)
    I had to look that up NOLA

My definitive Eagles lagniappe would be the glorious 4 part accapella harmonies by Glenn, Don, Randy and Bernie, that often served as an intro to Take It Easy; "My daddy was a handsome devil...."

It's one of the verses of a song titled Silver Dagger.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Best Ever Eagles Song for me is and has always been Take It Easy.

I love lots of others, but this one just has 'it' for me!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

You can see my previous top 10 on the first page of the thread. I guess now it is this:

New Kid In Town
    Lyin' Eyes
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    Tequila Sunrise
    Take It Easy
    Heartache Tonight
    Life In The Fast Lane
    Get Over It
    King Of Hollywood
    Outlaw Man

This is how I feel right now. I don't listen to them as much as I used to, I'm afraid. The biggest omission is Hotel California & the other from a Frey fan's perspective is Peaceful Easy Feeling. I have heard both songs far too often. New Kid In Town is the one I choose above all others.
    ''

New Kid is a great Frey lead but I agree with Ol' 55 because it's so soulful.

Meisner- Take The Devil & TITTL of course
    Henley Desperado-reprise, it makes me cry.
    Walsh- Rocky Mtn. Way. Favorite since I was a teen.
    Leadon- Nightingale- Although the chirping thing is annoying.
    Frey- Ol 55 and New Kid in Town
    Schmit- I Can't Tell You Why
    Felder- Can't think of one........didn't really listen to him solo

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

DJ, I guess you meant Earlybird for Bernie? Nightingale is sung by Don Henley and has no bird chirping. Their titles are similar and they are from the same album so definitely understandable.

I'll have a go at the 'one song per lead singer' idea F50 started. It's quite a nice way to get an overview of my favourites by each vocalist. However, I have to include the Don/Glenn duets as a separate category (there are eight of them in total if the IMO questionable King Of Hollywood is included - which I tend to think of as Henley vocal, Glenn's voice just isn't that prominent when not listening closely, I feel - the same as the total number of vocals by Joe and Tim combined).

Don Henley - I have to say I think this one is extremely challenging as he has probably sung the widest range of songs with the band and therefore I have to take a song which has one of his absolute best vocals. So on balance I will say... The Last Resort.
    Glenn - Take It Easy, on the grounds that I've already named it as my probable choice as overall favourite.
    Glenn/Don duet - Doolin-Dalton
    Randy - It's difficult to ignore the magnificent TITTL, but the truth is my favourite is Take The Devil.
    Bernie - My Man (although Bitter Creek is not far off)
    Joe - Quite close between In The City and PMAIAR, although I think the former edges it as a song, the latter wins if considering Joe's vocal alone.
    Tim - I Can't Tell You Why. Do Something would be second FWIW.
    Don Felder - erm... Visions, I guess. Not much choice here!

When it comes to Hotel California I love it and still enjoy it as much as I ever have although I can understand why some people are sick of it. I can particularly understand this feeling in the US, as the song is played so often (especially on the more predictable classic rock radio stations). Here I can understand burn out with something like Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way, which as much as I love it is definitely overplayed, but I don't hear HC anywhere near often enough (outside of my own choice) for this to be an issue for me.

Hotel California IMO is an absolutely outstanding song lyrically and musically, with its superb outro solos, iconic introduction and hugely memorable and creative scenarios, but its only slight weakness as an Eagles song is that they definitely have songs with better harmony vocals (PMAIAR and especially NKIT being the two standout examples from the album). Having said this, Don Henley's lead vocal is great and suits the song very well and when compared with the other iconic classic rock songs it stands up in all respects, including vocally. It's simply that the Eagles backing vocals are better than just about every other act in their field and I feel they better demonstrate these abilities on other songs.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Doing one song per singer: (not including Don Felder cause he only has Visions lol)

Glenn Frey- Outlaw Man (my favorite Eagles song, so I have to pick it)
    Don Henley- Life in the Fast Lane
    Bernie Leadon- My Man
    Randy Meisner- Too Many Hands
    Joe Walsh- In the City
    Timothy B. Schmit- I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
    Glenn/ Don co-lead: How Long
    Bonus- instrumental: Journey of the Sorcerer

If anyone is interested, I made this list of my favorite Eagles songs and ranking of their albums.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    DJ, I guess you meant Earlybird for Bernie? Nightingale is sung by Don Henley and has no bird chirping. Their titles are similar and they are from the same album so definitely understandable.

I'll have a go at the 'one song per lead singer' idea F50 started. It's quite a nice way to get an overview of my favourites by each vocalist. However, I have to include the Don/Glenn duets as a separate category (there are eight of them in total if the IMO questionable King Of Hollywood is included - which I tend to think of as Henley vocal, Glenn's voice just isn't that prominent when not listening closely, I feel - the same as the total number of vocals by Joe and Tim combined).

Don Henley - I have to say I think this one is extremely challenging as he has probably sung the widest range of songs with the band and therefore I have to take a song which has one of his absolute best vocals. So on balance I will say... The Last Resort.
    Glenn - Take It Easy, on the grounds that I've already named it as my probable choice as overall favourite.
    Glenn/Don duet - Doolin-Dalton
    Randy - It's difficult to ignore the magnificent TITTL, but the truth is my favourite is Take The Devil.
    Bernie - My Man (although Bitter Creek is not far off)
    Joe - Quite close between In The City and PMAIAR, although I think the former edges it as a song, the latter wins if considering Joe's vocal alone.
    Tim - I Can't Tell You Why. Do Something would be second FWIW.
    Don Felder - erm... Visions, I guess. Not much choice here!

When it comes to Hotel California I love it and still enjoy it as much as I ever have although I can understand why some people are sick of it. I can particularly understand this feeling in the US, as the song is played so often (especially on the more predictable classic rock radio stations). Here I can understand burn out with something like Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way, which as much as I love it is definitely overplayed, but I don't hear HC anywhere near often enough (outside of my own choice) for this to be an issue for me.

Hotel California IMO is an absolutely outstanding song lyrically and musically, with its superb outro solos, iconic introduction and hugely memorable and creative scenarios, but its only slight weakness as an Eagles song is that they definitely have songs with better harmony vocals (PMAIAR and especially NKIT being the two standout examples from the album). Having said this, Don Henley's lead vocal is great and suits the song very well and when compared with the other iconic classic rock songs it stands up in all respects, including vocally. It's simply that the Eagles backing vocals are better than just about every other act in their field and I feel they better demonstrate these abilities on other songs.
    Yep JCL I did mean Earlybird. DUH on my part. I do like Nightingale too.
    Thanks

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............