Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles: Headliners - oh, the irony

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    A joke from Joe c. 1975:
    "Everyone holds up his own end [in the Eagles]. That's all I ever wanted in a band. In fact, if the Eagles were any happier we would probably break up."
    All sunshine and daisies, eh?

This one surprised me - a quote from Henley after the release of Greatest Hits:
    "We aren't really advocates of greatest hits albums. They are more or less a ploy by the record company to get free sales. They don't have to spend any money to make them and they get a lot of money back. [...] The record company put it out and we couldn't stop them."
    So the record company can put out greatest hits albums without the permission of the band? I wonder how often that happens. I know Don put out two greatest hits packages with essentially the same songs on them, but the first one at least had his participation in that there were some new songs. Certainly he benefited from them. Indeed, in the case of the Eagles Greatest Hits referenced in the quote, the album went on to become the best selling album of the 20th century.
    Glenn talked about this in an interview, and alludes to it in the documentary in that he didn't say 'we' did the Greatest Hits. I'm trying to remember where I read they weren't happy about it at the time.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Soda - I'm loving this thread and hope there's still a few more quotes to come. This is terrific case-in-point chronicle about how people's attitudes and beliefs change as they age if there ever was one.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

I've seen somewhere that Henley was unhappy that the Desperado songs were being released outside of the context of the album, although it never seemed to be an issue when performing the tracks live.

Also, in the mid seventies, a Greatest Hits album would be viewed as a career retrospective. The Eagles, entering a new era, would have been adverse to any move that would suggest that their best days were behind them.

Glenn's also mentioned that Greatest Hits albums make it less likely that people will buy the actual albums they produced. I think he called the early Eagles albums, little soldiers, fighting their corner and needing all the help they can get.

I think in hindsight, Hotel California and Their Greatest Hits (1972-75) gave their earlier albums a huge boost sales wise.

I didn't know this about the making of HC - a quote from Henley:
    "We had to finish the album during the start of our tour. We played three concerts in three different cities, and then had to get a Lear jet and fly back to Miami and record all night until six o'clock the next morning. Then we had to fly back to the next town and play another concert. [...] We weren't even at the studio for the last two mixes. Szymczyk had to mix the last two tracks and bring them out to us, on the road, so we could hear them."
    Why do touring at that stage? Glenn explains:
    "We just couldn't stay out of the American eye for seven months. Once you have somebody [like Leadon] leave your band you don't just put out a press release saying Joe Walsh is joining and leave it at that and let the people who bought your records wonder what you're doing. "
    I think Glenn and the other guys believing they couldn't take a break - not even for seven months - was what finally lead to their breakup.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

That reminds of what Simon Kirke(Bad Company's drummer) said about their work ethic in the 70s. Basically "Album, Tour, Album, Toyr, Album, Tour" etc. That kind of cycle can only work for a short time before something(or someone) snaps. I think that most bands of the 60s/70s had that kind of cycle, and that's why most bands of that era eventually broke up. I can't imagine how grueling that kind of work schedule would be!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I can't even imagine how he'd feel now, since we all have the attention spans of a gnat.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.