Page 202 of 301 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212252 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Was just reading an article about the Eagles on the Fans of the Eagles FB page, it's very good everyone should check it out. It talks about how the younger generation hates the Eagles, too bad for them they have been brain washed with some of this garbage they call music. It's a good read for anyone, take a look. I'd have posted the link but couldn't manage to get it over here.

Border Troubadour

http://kamertunesblog.wordpress.com/...ut-the-eagles/

I think there's a difference between liking and respect. For example, I cannot abide the Beatles (to the point where I refuse to be in the same room if their music is being played), however I respect what they did for music and just how huge they were. Ditto Led Zepp, ditto the Stones, ditto Metallica etc. I think it is very shallow to judge a whole band's discography on the behavior or personalities of its prominent members - you can't have success to the level the Eagles, Beatles, Who, Pink Floyd etc had without being some degree of an arrogant ar*ehole. But it's the strong, headlong determination of Glenn and Don H. and their not so pleasant (at times) actions that have made them into one of the biggest bands of all time (arguably the biggest American band ever) with nine figure sales numbers who still sell out 99%+ of every gig they do in huge arenas. In all fairness to the others they wouldn't, I don't think, have left such a huge legacy if it had been the sweet TBS, timid Randy or nonchalant Joe at the forefront of the band.

You could argue until the dawn that the Eagles made music irrelevant (which I think they admit themselves), they were money-grabbing greedy corporates or that Henley, Frey or whoever else is a monumental such-and-such but at the end of the day, as much you may detest them you cannot deny them their success. I think the Big Lebowski-esque attitude sums up a lot of it: I do wonder if a lot of the 'I hate the f***ing Eagles, man' sentiments are because they can't stand slow, country rambling like Lyin' Eyes, or because they genuinely hate them as an entity.

I went on the web to try to get support for my view, and could only find sites like “The Eagles Suck” and “Why the Eagles Suck” and “Stop Defending the Eagles”, etc. etc.
    Too bad he missed us! lol!

Actually that claim about only finding negative sites is BS. I went and tried to find a site CALLED "The Eagles Suck" and there wasn't one. He might be one of those guys that gets confused about the difference between a site and an article on a blog, I guess, but the statement is very misleading.

However, the fact that a younger generation of music critics doesn't find the Eagles "cool" (based on this anecdotal evidence, which may or may not be representative of majority opinion) is nothing new. The Eagles NEVER got their props from critics, and anti-establishmentarians will always eschew what has mainstream success. One of the respondents touches upon this by mentioning "hipsters"; any self-respecting hipster would tell you they much prefer some obscure indie band to the Eagles! The bigger a band is, the more people will hate on them.

As someone who teaches college, I can tell you most of my students don't really have a clue about the Eagles until you name some hits. Then, they'll say, "Oh yeah, I like that song." Most of them just talk about current music. The Eagles aren't really on their radar. Certainly, they don't rail against the Eagles. If they're hating on a band or musician, it's usually the likes of Justin Bieber.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Was just reading an article about the Eagles on the Fans of the Eagles FB page, it's very good everyone should check it out. It talks about how the younger generation hates the Eagles, too bad for them they have been brain washed with some of this garbage they call music. It's a good read for anyone, take a look. I'd have posted the link but couldn't manage to get it over here.
    Glad to not be a part of that demographic.

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Me too, Austin. Heck I was born the year they broke up.

Border Troubadour

I was born the year after Hell Froze Over!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Too bad he missed us! lol!

Actually that claim about only finding negative sites is BS. I went and tried to find a site CALLED "The Eagles Suck" and there wasn't one. He might be one of those guys that gets confused about the difference between a site and an article on a blog, I guess, but the statement is very misleading.

However, the fact that a younger generation of music critics doesn't find the Eagles "cool" (based on this anecdotal evidence, which may or may not be representative of majority opinion) is nothing new. The Eagles NEVER got their props from critics, and anti-establishmentarians will always eschew what has mainstream success. One of the respondents touches upon this by mentioning "hipsters"; any self-respecting hipster would tell you they much prefer some obscure indie band to the Eagles! The bigger a band is, the more people will hate on them.

As someone who teaches college, I can tell you most of my students don't really have a clue about the Eagles until you name some hits. Then, they'll say, "Oh yeah, I like that song." Most of them just talk about current music. The Eagles aren't really on their radar. Certainly, they don't rail against the Eagles. If they're hating on a band or musician, it's usually the likes of Justin Bieber.
    I pretty much agree with your post, Soda. From my experience, most of the younger generation that I come into contact with like the Eagles music when they hear it. And for all of our Border 'youngsters', I applaud you all for your excellent tastes in music. I, myself, was reborn after HFO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Dreamer, I think you put the wrong smiley on your post. I think you meant Jus' sayin'.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I was born in '88, so they were already broken up..... I would have been about 7 around the time of the first HFO tour.

My latest blog is a riposte to all those 'cool to hate the Eagles' articles.

It's here: http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-backlash.html

Hope you get the time to read it.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html