Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who wrote the guitar riff for LITFL?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Who wrote the guitar riff for LITFL?

I've notice that people often mix up songs when writing about the documentary, so could this just be confusion with how VOL was written?

This seems as good a place as any to put my own question. In the 1979 Rolling Stone interview with the band, Don Felder describes himself as the "musical catayst" in the band. Any ideas what he meant?

catalyst noun 1 chem any substance that catalyses a chemical reaction. 2 something or someone that speeds up the pace of something, or causes change.

catalyse or (US) catalyze verb (catalysed, catalysing) chem said of a catalyst: to alter the rate of (a chemical reaction), usually by increasing it, without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change.
    I'm just trying to understand how he fitted into the creative process. I know that the instrumental tracks were usually laid down first often before there were any lyrics. We get a glimpse of that in the "Get Over It" part of the documentary but Bill Szymczyk has also mentioned it.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Thanks for the info, all. I went back and read the relevant parts in Felder's book (page 175) and he does say the opening riff was Joe's and that there was one they used of his, he doesn't clarify where in the song it is. He does say the song became undoubtedly Joe's.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I've notice that people often mix up songs when writing about the documentary, so could this just be confusion with how VOL was written?

This seems as good a place as any to put my own question. In the 1979 Rolling Stone interview with the band, Don Felder describes himself as the "musical catayst" in the band. Any ideas what he meant?

I'm just trying to understand how he fitted into the creative process. I know that the instrumental tracks were usually laid down first often before there were any lyrics. We get a glimpse of that in the "Get Over It" part of the documentary but Bill Szymczyk has also mentioned it.
    I'm not sure, but I'd speculate that he felt that he got the juices flowing for the other band members with his instrumentation. For instance, he would on occasion give Don and Glenn a chord progression and they would build a song upon it. Additionally, he might see himself as showing them ways to make what they'd written better by adding certain guitar licks. I'm just guessing, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The riff was most certainly Mr. Walsh...it sounds like a Walsh riff too. Joe had a more edgy by the seat of his pants approach, Felder always was a bit more structured and at times, technical.

The solo Felder plays in LITFL I bet is probably his own. Felder simply plays Joe's riff at the higher octave at the same time for the intro and anytime you hear the opening riff throughout the tune.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree that Joe was definitely responsible for writing the guitar riff in LITFL (perhaps with help from Glenn) and Felder's involvement was in working out his guitar parts. This seemed to be the way they often worked together by many of their accounts. They have said many times that a similar approach was used on Hotel California where Felder wrote the guitar chord progressions and Joe helped work out his guitar parts. Just as Joe didn't receive writing credit on Hotel California, Felder didn't receive credit on Life in the Fast Lane. I guess it's a fine line for bands to decide who is credited, but, at least, it seems the Eagles were consistent in their criteria for songwriting credits.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016