Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

I was part of that discussion and I was thinking of the songwriter royalties for both the live performance and for sales of media containing recordings of those live performances. For an Eagles tour, the performance royalties may not be insignificant as they are based on a percentage of the box office. However, I haven't managed to find that percentage.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

What I can't figure out is how they get their royalties from tribute bands, there are so many - who is keeping track? Do those bands have to clear the songs first? They must have to - how do they report the gate receipts to Eagles management?

And yes, HFO album/DVD have been successful - that's where the big $$$ is - that's what he is still missing out on.

Stuck on the Border

My mind is spinning from trying to understand these loyalty arrangements. Each songwriter is a member of a Performing Rights Organisation and in this case I think it's ASCAP. ASCAP collect fees or licenses from venues and distribute to their members. They work out the distributions based on surveys and samples. For live venues this includes collecting set-lists from the 300 top-grossing tours and selected major venues. link

Anyway, my point was that after HFO, Randy's song has become a regular part of the repetoire including two recordings.

Stuck on the Border

Has anyone read Joe Vitale's book? I know it wouldn't dish any dirt but does he have any good stories?

This is from an interview with Classicbands:
    There's no dirt in this book. None. Only because there's always something great to say about everybody. These people are my friends. If anybody would have a family problem or a drug problem or any kind of problem; none of us are immune to any of that, but it's very personnel stuff. These are my friends. I just wouldn't do that. I couldn't go to bed at night knowing I told some stupid, private story about someone who was my friend who trusted me and trusted these words to me when they were talking to me. I was with The Eagles for awhile. I get calls all the time. They're writing a book about The Eagles. "What can you tell me?" I say "nothing!" I can tell you nothing 'cause I know what you guys want. I can say this, these guys are great guys, great musicians, great artists. Go see 'em! (laughs)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

UTW - I read the book and really enjoyed it - and it's true that there is no dirt. While I guess Joe could be criticized for glossing over things, it was still a fun read that I thought was very entertaining. We have a thread for the book, but since it primarily involved stories about Joe W., it is in his forum ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=1359

I realize I actually forgot to post anything in the thread after I finished reading the book. I'll have to go back and do that sometime.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

This isn't an Eagles book per se, but there is a fair amount of Eagles and Azoff content: the Tom King biography of David Geffen called "The Operator." It's a fascinating (and frequently appalling) read for both rock music fans and anyone interested in power, money and success. There's a scene of a young Glenn Frey and Jackson Browne skinny dipping in Geffen's pool too.

The book is not new - it came out in 2001, but I was reminded of it when reading through the HOTE thread where a number of people were opining about Geffen. I was actually surprised that Geffen agreed to be interviewed for the documentary, as he is notoriously vindictive towards those who've conflicted with him in business. Perhaps he just cherished the opportunity to publicly call Henley an "ingrate."

Stuck on the Border

Glenn and Don were interviewed for "Inventing David Geffen", so maybe that was part of the deal. Thanks for the book recommendation - I've just ordered a copy.

I'm not sure this is a recommendation, but anyone who has ever tried to understand the legal or financial aspects might be interested "All You Need to Know About The Music Business" by Donald S Passmore. After following the "fast track" route through the book, mostly what I've learned is that it's a very complicated business with sharks everywhere. When you read about a tour earning a huge gross, remember that there are many, many people taking a cut before it gets to the band.

Right back atcha, UnderTheWire - I'm now hunting for a copy of the Inventing David Geffen program.

Do you guys really recommend Marc Eliot's "To the Limit"? The reviews on Amazon on mostly negative. They make it sound like the book only praises Henley, while everyone else is trashed and their contributions to the band's music and success is belittled.

Also, I don't want the groupies 'n orgies tales to tarnish my opinion of sweet Randy

Stuck on the Border

You may be able to view the Geffen Doc on the PBS site (it's region-locked so I can't test it).
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2305433189/

Marc Eliot's book is the most comprehensive one on the band. It's pretty well-researched with lots of new (at the time) interviews with people close to the band rather than relying on old press interviews. Henley provided extensive feedback on an early draft and even met with Eliot but ultimately was unhappy with the book. Even so, there's a lot of quotes and insight from Henley's side which does make the book a little too much about Henley. Also, my impression is that Eliot is very much an East Coast music journalist who doesn't quite get the Eagles. There's not a lot on groupies and orgies.

OK good, I'll take the plunge then.