Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

I vote for Learn to Be Still.

I know this won't bother everyone. However, I don't like how it makes out Jesus to be one of a series of people with meaningless and empty messages, going so far as to equate the crucifixion with trendy gurus losing popularity. I don't expect Christian messages from the Eagles, of course. I understand that Don Henley, who wrote the lyrics, does indeed believe Jesus Christ was a deluded "starry-eyed messiah" and is one of the "wrong gods" people are following home. He has every right to use his music to preach to us about it, and I have every right to dislike the taste of his disdain.

Say what you like about "Hole in the World" - at least it brings us all together.

Another thing about LTBS - it sounds like a solo track stuck onto an Eagles album, whereas HITW is a real group effort with its magnificent, soaring harmonies.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Okay, that may have been worth it just to see this gif...

But I'm still contemplating the meaning of life after finding out about 7BR...

I cannot vote for Hole in the World.

I vote for Learn to be Still

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    There is a version from the Long Beach concert on the eagles online central it’s under the featured audio show. After listening to that version and the Seattle one, I’m not particularly bothered because I know that they were still so good live and they were being super picky about small details
    Well, the best two versions are 1976 Seattle and 1980 Santa Monica. By this I mean a 29th July audience recording which my friends have. Brilliant version with harmonies equal to the released one. It is just stunning there.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I will use your quote to explain why I am voting for Seven Bridges Road.

While I knew the live album was fake & overdubbed, for some reason I thought that 7BR was about the only track which did represent what they sounded like live. (I guess I thought the version of LBG was fairly real too, but it isn't according to you).

Then not long ago I discovered that part of Glenn's vocal has been removed from it & replaced with a second part by Don Henley. It utterly turned me off the song, which I vowed I would never listen to again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCT9dpphUD4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMPmdqZNaFA

This is an extreme reaction on my part. I am well aware that this song will probably win this game. But to me it is a fraud. And even if I hadn't found out that information, I was bored with the song anyway. They didn't write it. It isn't what it seems.

I haven't reacted to this but I didn't know this and I too am really upset and disappointed by it.

However, could this be partially because Glenn wasn't interested in coming into the studio and fixing up his own parts, so Don did it out of necessity? He was really disconnected from the band at this time.

Regardless, the fakeness of it sucks, although of course I was aware that it was "fixed up" to sound perfect.

I haven't reacted to this but I didn't know this and I too am really upset and disappointed by it.

However, could this be partially because Glenn wasn't interested in coming into the studio and fixing up his own parts, so Don did it out of necessity? He was really disconnected from the band at this time.

Regardless, the fakeness of it sucks, although of course I was aware that it was "fixed up" to sound perfect.
    I think you’re right about why Don filled In Glenn’s part. Based on how Felder describes that time of the band, and how Glenn was just ready to call it quits after that concert, I believe that’s why Henley filled in for Glenn

Stuck on the Border

This is getting a little dull. I vote for Learn to Be Still.

Stuck on the Border

I do agree about the probable reason for it, and let's be honest here. That's on Glenn & his mood as much as it is on the others. It would have been better not to include the song at all. But as we know, it was not the only song where this stuff occurred.

Stuck on the Border

I vote for Learn to Be Still.

I know this won't bother everyone. However, I don't like how it makes out Jesus to be one of a series of people with meaningless and empty messages, going so far as to equate the crucifixion with trendy gurus losing popularity. I don't expect Christian messages from the Eagles, of course. I understand that Don Henley, who wrote the lyrics, does indeed believe Jesus Christ was a deluded "starry-eyed messiah" and is one of the "wrong gods" people are following home. He has every right to use his music to preach to us about it, and I have every right to dislike the taste of his disdain.

Say what you like about "Hole in the World" - at least it brings us all together.

Another thing about LTBS - it sounds like a solo track stuck onto an Eagles album, whereas HITW is a real group effort with its magnificent, soaring harmonies.

Are you really sure that LTBS is an attack on Jesus Christ, Soda? Do you not think this interpretation may be a bit too specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Are you really sure that LTBS is an attack on Jesus Christ, Soda? Do you not think this interpretation may be a bit too specific?
    I think it was a disparagement of all religions and attempts to find spiritual fulfillment outside of oneself, but obviously the imagery deliberately calls to mind Christ.