Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

Border Rebel

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: Non-Studio Album Songs

Wow, the votes are really all over the place for this version of Survivor! I will also go with "Love Will Keep Us Alive." Tim sings it great, but it's too sappy of a song for my taste.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Wow. I love Get You in the Mood. The way it starts off with those lone guitar notes and the ascending bass riff really sets the “mood” of the song. Glenn’s voice is hot and sultry and that bluesy guitar solo is killer. Are these his finest lyrics? No, but he was still finding his way. I think it’s a pretty solid effort and I can’t imagine it going before some of the others on the list.

Ok, here’s my rather controversial choice: Love Will Keep Us Alive.

Sorry, Timothy, I love your voice but I do not care for this song. It wasn’t written by an Eagle and it doesn’t sound like an Eagles song. Any band could have recorded it. I’m aware it was a hit on the AC charts but I don’t think that says much other than “we’re turning in our rock cred card and have arrived in Middle-Aged Snoozeville.”

I wouldn’t be surprised if Timothy himself rues the day he ever presented the song to the band cause now he’s stuck with it for perpetuity.

For the record, I completely agree with you. It is also sums up some of the reasons why I also dislike Please Come Home For Christmas.

Wow, the votes are all over the place this time.

My vote is for Funky New Year . I'm not impressed.

Funky New Year gets my vote.

I could not listen to the studio version unfortunately, so I had to make do with the 1999 Millenium Concert version. And yeah. Lame lyrics, not really significant music, just not good. Probably the worst out of all the things here. Tbh, I don't even feel the atmosphere of New Year's in the song!

Oh God. Almost of all these songs in this survivor are ones which I either don't really care for or don't like. Those extra songs I listed in the announcement thread are way better (IMO obviously). I will still play, but it'll be hard voting those least liked songs. Only the new HFO songs are up to the standard. I do like One Day at a Time though. Not so bad actually. Simple song with some decent guitar. And about Get You in the Mood, at least the mood and atmosphere was there.

About Life's Been Good, I really like it done with the Eagles, but not the Eagles Live version. Bootlegs are much better. Joe's guitar had so much rawness in those, and it has been sucked out in this version. Not to mention: OVERDUBBING. I can't stand that from Eagles Live. I have the 1980 Santa Monica bootleg (July 29th, from where this recording was taken from). Clearly overdubbing is there in terms of lyrics and guitars as well. The lyrics are clearly overdubbed and guitars have been overdubbed over empty spots, as well as the last solo's piano and guitar were overdubbed. My personal favorite is 1980 The Forum (soundboard version). Way better and rawer.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Stuck on the Border

I vote for Funky New Year

Dreamer, I pretty much agree with everything you said about this song. I never liked it, JMHO though.

Stuck on the Border

I vote for All Night Long. It's a simple little, banal kind of rocker. I'm not sure if I'd heard it before but if I had, I'd forgotten it immediately.

I like Get you in the Mood. Yes, some of the lyrics are a bit cringeworthy, but compared to many rock songs (and All Night Long), it's ambitious. Like many of Glenn's songs, the focus is on what he could do for the girl rather than what she could do for him. I also like the mood and that it's so different from any other Eagles recording. I hear it as Glenn being inspired by being in the same studio with the same producer as Led Zeppelin.

Funky New Year amuses me slightly, so I'll give it a pass for now.

Learn to be Still is not a favourite but I'll give it points for being a proper song.

I vote Funky New Year

Funky New Year

I think "Funky New Year" has a great groove! Some of its lines are a hoot!

"Been passin' 'round the bottle... make me feel brand new... the trouble with the new man is - he wants a hit, too!" lol!

And the "hair hurts" is actually a tried-and-true joke... you're in so much pain that even your hair hurts.

Whenever I hear it, I always want to move to the beat! Oh-woah-woah-it's-a- FUNKAY NEW YEAR!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think "Funky New Year" has a great groove! Some of its lines are a hoot!

"Been passin' 'round the bottle... make me feel brand new... the trouble with the new man is - he wants a hit, too!" lol!

And the "hair hurts" is actually a tried-and-true joke... you're in so much pain that even your hair hurts.

Whenever I hear it, I always want to move to the beat! Oh-woah-woah-it's-a- FUNKAY NEW YEAR!
    I agree with this sentiment. It’s just meant to be a non serious weird song, but I like the grove and the feel to it. I don’t love it but it’s interesting