Page 85 of 145 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I agree that many people who go to the concerts may not know who Glenn Frey was. That's why the band should make sure they do with some kind of a tribute. If people leave the concert thinking of Vince Gill (whom many of them probably know) as an Eagle, they should know who started the band and whose stuff Gill is now performing - the guy who wouldn't even be there if Glenn hadn't died. Just my opinion.

When they add such a famous guy to their band and don't mention Glenn, many people will associate Vince Gill with the Eagles more than they associate Glenn with the Eagles. That's just wrong. Again, just my opinion.

EDIT:

Many people say that the Eagles are about songpower and not the members - and this alone justifies them continuing without Glenn. So, although the members (like Glenn Frey) aren't important, Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sure are celebrated a lot everywhere. It's not important to celebrate the person who started it, was there until his death and did all the albums, but it's important to celebrate the people who are now singing and playing his stuff live.

Chaim - I bolded the edit. Amen ! Exactly how I feel !
    I think for the casual fan the only Eagle they know is Don because of HC and sadly, he became " the voice of the Eagles". I do think many people could also name Glenn but not the others. It appears from their many FB sites that most of the people going to shows now are NOT casual fans but rather people who never saw them before and feel this is there last chance to see any form of the Eagles. Also, there are many people who support this venture due to Deacon being in the band and want to see them before they hang it up. Vince appears to be very well known and they know he was never in the Eagles until this knew carnation of the band.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

WOW this thread moves so fast. As far as I’m concerned and I think many of the longer term borders would know I definitely DON’T think that the band should be performing in their current format with no obvious salutation to Glenn Notwithstanding Deacons presence, and I DO wish the kid well the band just cannot be the same, and to market it as such without the acknowledgment that things have changed is just a travesty to Glenn ’s memory.

I’m not saying that all of the band should have given up performing, or performing together out of respect for him. They are professional musicians and as well as that obviously the Eagles was their job and their love and they were not ready to retire. BUT it seems like Glenn has just been airbrushed out of anything to do with the band.

Even if they had adapted their name to reflect that they are not and never will be the same as the band Glenn Frey fronted. Or called themselves ‘Eagles featuring Deacon Frey/Vince Gill’ or something to that effect. Or has some sort of tribute or acknowledgment to him during the show it might be easier to accept the new lineup but it just seems like Glenn has been swept under the carpet and forgotten about so that Irving can make money out of his cash cow.

I was at an Eagles Tribute band last week. Throughout the show the guys in the band referred to the guys and their contribution to the band. When they played ‘Ol 55’ instead of a montage of pictures and videos they put up a picture of Glenn beside his Gladys looking up to the sky. A fitting tribute IMHO.
    If they can do it surely the band can....
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I was at an Eagles Tribute band last week. Throughout the show the guys in the band referred to the guys and their contribution to the band. When they played ‘Ol 55’ instead of a montage of pictures and videos they put up a picture of Glenn beside his Gladys looking up to the sky. A fitting tribute IMHO.
    If they can do it surely the band can....
    The current band does refer to Glenn during the performance. For example, Deacon, before singing Peaceful Easy Feeling, says, "Here's one my dad used to sing." At the end of the song they have a large photo of Glenn (the one they have on the Eagles.com website under Glenn Frey 1948-2016) up on the screen for several seconds. When that comes up, there is a huge roar from the crowd in acknowledgement.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I agree that many people who go to the concerts may not know who Glenn Frey was. That's why the band should make sure they do with some kind of a tribute. If people leave the concert thinking of Vince Gill (whom many of them probably know) as an Eagle, they should know who started the band and whose stuff Gill is now performing - the guy who wouldn't even be there if Glenn hadn't died. Just my opinion.

When they add such a famous guy to their band and don't mention Glenn, many people will associate Vince Gill with the Eagles more than they associate Glenn with the Eagles. That's just wrong. Again, just my opinion.

EDIT:

Many people say that the Eagles are about songpower and not the members - and this alone justifies them continuing without Glenn. So, although the members (like Glenn Frey) aren't important, Deacon Frey and Vince Gill sure are celebrated a lot everywhere. It's not important to celebrate the person who started it, was there until his death and did all the albums, but it's important to celebrate the people who are now singing and playing his stuff live.

Absolutely agree. They also claim the band continuing is a tribute in and of itself to Glenn Frey.

Personally, I am now realizing there is another possibility to explain the absence of a celebration of Glenn's life just for fans.

It's not good for the brand.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

I am not being smart or nasty when I say this, but big freaking deal. They could do A LOT MORE for the guy who founded the band, was it's leader and front man since it's inception. That "tribute" does not impress me. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I am not being smart or nasty when I say this, but big freaking deal. They could do A LOT MORE for the guy who founded the band, was it's leader and front man since it's inception. That "tribute" does not impress me. Sorry.
    Amen.

Stuck on the Border

[QUOTE=longtimeeaglesfan;374289]The current band does refer to Glenn during the performance. For example, Deacon, before singing Peaceful Easy Feeling, says, "Here's one my dad used to sing." At the end of the song they have a large photo of Glenn (the one they have on the Eagles.com website under Glenn Frey 1948-2016) up on the screen for several seconds. When that comes up, there is a huge roar from the crowd in acknowledgement.[/QUOTE]

That's nice. Glad to hear about the audience reaction. The dad comment doesn't say anything to the people who don't know about Glenn, but the picture thing is nice.

Glenn Frey had a successful solo career as a musician, arranger, singer as well. He also became involved with teaching & mentoring young people studying songwriting at NYU Steinhardt and received much gratitude and praise from his former students.

Edited to add

My personal opinion is Glenn may very well have had other plans for the Eagles that DID NOT involve another huge, intense tour. Rather, he seemed focused on bringing the Eagles to Broadway or another theatrical/musical type venue. IMHO this could/would have been fantastic.
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-31-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Oh, here we go again. This thread is for the people who don't agree with the band re-forming without Glenn. Posts that are not about that are off-topic and will be moved. I have already moved redstorm's.

I don't get why people who don't feel that way about the band are reading this thread.

ETA: If problems persist with the poster obviously deliberately ignoring the purpose of the thread with intent to troll, I will stop moving the off-topic posts from this thread and start deleting them instead.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I gotta say that it's easier for me to talk about my feelings about the current band now that it's been made clear several times who(m) this thread is for. I don't post a lot in internet forums, and when I do I don't have the energy to try and defend how I feel over and over again. I want to thank the people who kept fighting to keep this thread as a "no Glenn, no Eagles" zone. Austin, for example.