Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Default Re: Celebration of "After Hours"!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I agree about My Buddy & also to some extent about I'm Getting Old Before My Time & Worried Mind. I tend to agree that perhaps one more uptempo track to go with Route 66 would have helped.

Also, although I love the song After Hours, it isn't my favourite track here. My favourites are Here's To Life, Same Girl & The Shadow Of Your Smile.

In my view Glenn had done more than enough work with Jack Tempchin. If I could have had anything besides After Hours I would have liked an album of songs he wrote on his own. He was quite capable of that.
    Oh yes, Here's To Life - such a beautiful song and all time favorite how could I forget.

Same Girl is also beautifully done. After Hours was never my favorite though I do enjoy the song. I gave the album as holiday gifts and they were well received. I felt it was an honor and a privilege to introduce my friends to a side of Glenn Frey they most likely didn't know existed.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I agree about My Buddy & also to some extent about I'm Getting Old Before My Time & Worried Mind. I tend to agree that perhaps one more uptempo track to go with Route 66 would have helped.

Also, although I love the song After Hours, it isn't my favourite track here. My favourites are Here's To Life, Same Girl & The Shadow Of Your Smile.

In my view Glenn had done more than enough work with Jack Tempchin. If I could have had anything besides After Hours I would have liked an album of songs he wrote on his own. He was quite capable of that.
    I agree, an album of songs Glenn wrote on his own would have been wonderful. I agree, he was quite capable of that, I love the songs he wrote on his own on LROOE.

Dawn - I've heard that Tempchin released that album but I haven't listened to. I heard one song, Privacy, and I wasn't impressed.

@groupie -- At the risk of setting the fox loose in the henhouse, I'll go out on a limb and say, with the notable exception of "Fabulous," the Glenn songs on LROOE are the best on the record.

Pippin - add Waiting in the Weeds to that, and I agree 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I agree, an album of songs Glenn wrote on his own would have been wonderful. I agree, he was quite capable of that, I love the songs he wrote on his own on LROOE.

Dawn - I've heard that Tempchin released that album but I haven't listened to. I heard one song, Privacy, and I wasn't impressed.
    Yeah, me too.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've read that interview too and I appreciate this album meant a lot to him. It's a sweet gesture; this type of music is just not my cup of tea. Maybe it will grow on me with time, as lot of Glenn's work seems to. I would have liked an album of Frey/Tempchin originals more though. It really does speak volumes that After Hours is the favorite song of most...it was better, imo, than all the songs he was covering on the album. Such beautiful imagery.
    groupie, I can relate to what you are saying. I didn't think it was my cup of tea either. I was not all that excited about this album when I first heard about it. But I did buy it and after listening to it a few times I grew to really like it. And now I love it. Glenn did such a wonderful job with all of the songs on it! It's really beautiful! And it was such a sweet thing to do for his parents! What a great guy!

I think my favorite song is After Hours.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @groupie -- At the risk of setting the fox loose in the henhouse, I'll go out on a limb and say, with the notable exception of "Fabulous," the Glenn songs on LROOE are the best on the record.
    Agreed, but I would substitute the title track & WITW for BBF, which does nothing for me.

Stuck on the Border

Privacy is dreadful. It's a really clumsy rework of singalong shouted choruses like It's Cold In Here, Partytown & Better In The USA. With a title like that, it could have made for a thought provoking lyric, not vapid stuiff about having no privacy to kiss his baby or whatever it was. Both Glenn & Tempchin were better than that.

Happy 6th Birthday to After Hours. I finally sat down last year and listen to the whole album. I love the songs.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'd also like to acknowledge the 6th anniversary of After Hours.

As I've said before, although it's not my favorite of Glenn's solo albums, it is still superbly done both musically and vocally. I'm not a huge fan of this type of music, but I maintain that Glenn's versions of almost all of these songs are among the best I've ever heard. His voice is just incredible.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016