Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Very interesting discussion! I just love this song. Yeah, I know it is very sleazy, but it just proves that sleaze can be done in very good taste! Great lyrics, guitar work, vocals, and arrangement. What can I say - great band!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I always wanted to know who did this song. LOL now I know. That song is so awesome. Don and Glenn's voices are so perfect together.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

You know I always thought this was a Don lead with Glenn harmonizing, guess I should have paid more attention.
    ~Sara

Default King of Hollywood

I've listened to this song 32 times in the past week. I am in awe of the guitar solo, is that Don Felder? Thanks

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: King of Hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    I've listened to this song 32 times in the past week. I am in awe of the guitar solo, is that Don Felder? Thanks
    There are three guitar solos. The first is by Frey, the second by Felder & the third by Walsh.

This is the existing topic about the song:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2455

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There are three guitar solos. The first is by Frey, the second by Felder & the third by Walsh.

This is the existing topic about the song:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=2455

Freypower, many thanks for sharing the above thread (it was before my time on this forum)

Glenn's intro solo is beautiful! I was referring to Don Felder's solo (listening again now).... Waiting for Joe Walsh's solo at around 5:25. Lots of good stuff on that thread!

bumping this up

what a great group you guys are, contributing to this awesome thread!

i'm hooked on this song. gorgeous guitar work!

I merged the threads, in case anyone's wondering! lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by desperado View Post
    Freypower, many thanks for sharing the above thread (it was before my time on this forum)

Glenn's intro solo is beautiful! I was referring to Don Felder's solo (listening again now).... Waiting for Joe Walsh's solo at around 5:25. Lots of good stuff on that thread!
    I believe the intro could have been played by all of them (Glenn, Don and Joe). One of them starts (most likely Glenn), another guy joins later with a harmony, and then finally, the third harmony. They could all have been played by Glenn, but since there isn't much happening in the song rhythm guitarwise, it's possible that the three of them played that harmonized riff when they were cutting the basic track live. Anyway, the credits say that the first solo is Glenn's, but the intro is not a solo. Glenn's solo starts when the song modulates, and ends when it returns to the original key and Don plays a few licks. (If I'm wrong and Don played both of these - starting from the modulation - he played them with a different guitar and a very different sound. But this would mean that they thought of the intro as the first "solo". I very much doubt it, since it's a riff, not a solo.)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I believe the intro could have been played by all of them (Glenn, Don and Joe). One of them starts (most likely Glenn), another guy joins later with a harmony, and then finally, the third harmony. They could all have been played by Glenn, but since there isn't much happening in the song rhythm guitarwise, it's possible that the three of them played that harmonized riff when they were cutting the basic track live. Anyway, the credits say that the first solo is Glenn's, but the intro is not a solo. Glenn's solo starts when the song modulates, and ends when it returns to the original key and Don plays a few licks. (If I'm wrong and Don played both of these - starting from the modulation - he played them with a different guitar and a very different sound. But this would mean that they thought of the intro as the first "solo". I very much doubt it, since it's a riff, not a solo.)
    I quoted the liner notes, that's all. I would not have a clue who plays what there but if the Eagles themselves decided to describe it as a 'solo' who am I to argue with them.