Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Default Re: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Thanks for the info! Shows what I know. lol

So he'd played it a couple times live prior? Shoot, wish I could hear those! I love that song.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    Glenn played After Hours on the Mark & Brian Christmas Special 1997. I couldn't remember the year so I just listened to the clip. He said then that it was only about the 3rd time that he had played it live. It was from his "martini & black tie period" (The Allnighter era). He had Danny Grenier & Brian Garofalo with him for that performance.
    And you can hear the awestruck reaction of the DJ & the others in the studio. It's a favourite moment of mine.

Glenn.... if only you could hear; we would like to hear new material from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    And you can hear the awestruck reaction of the DJ & the others in the studio. It's a favourite moment of mine.

Glenn.... if only you could hear; we would like to hear new material from you.
    Yes, the DJ says "Oh wow! A standing ovation for Glenn by the way!" I love it too!

Stuck on the Border

Good grief! I decided to activate this thread because of the Solo Collection anniversary & what do I find:

'Why doesn't Glenn release the song After Hours'?!

Anyway despite the somewhat disappointing showing of the four 'newer' songs in the recent Survivor game, I still love three of them & have seen the other live - and will probably see it again next month (it's April for me now). As has been said, this is a good introduction to Glenn's solo work.

What a cool coincidence!

Stuck on the Border

So I was wondering when the new songs were recorded. "Call On Me" had to be 1993 to fit in with the tv series, but what about the others? I know he mentioned a plan to make a Nashville album called "Common Ground" when he was promoting "Strange Weather". Had he already written and recorded the others before the reunion? If not, did he offer them for the band or just want to keep them to himself? It shows he was still writing upbeat songs so I wish it come up with one for HFO.

Some of the backing for "Common Ground" reminds me of a Travis Tritt "Take It Easy".

The country "Girl from Yesterday" was definitely intended for his planned country outing (funny that now it's Don doing that). Presumably, he offered up what he thought would work best with the Eagles - he may have even offered up more than one, and decided which would be best with Don - and the best of what was leftover was what appeared on The Solo Collection.

I doubt Glenn hoarded anything because he knew that what appeared on HFO would reach far more people, and he'd want to put his best foot forward, one would think. There are considerations that would affect what he chose - He may have chosen something more harmony-oriented to take advantage of the Eagles' vocal power, and he would want to offer something that would sound good live. The original intent was an acoustic album, remember - "Learn to Be Still" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive" fit that mold, too. They scrambled to write "Get Over It" after it became a broader album; that was also the only song that wasn't a solo song modified to be an Eagles song, so that also tells you something.

Stuck on the Border

Ah, I hadn't realised HFO may have been intended to be accoustic.

I think to some extent I've been influenced by Felder's sneering about TGFY but then I listen to the songs on this and on "Strange Weather" and it's clear that Glenn wasn't struggling to write good songs at that time, so it must have been a deliberate choice. (I'm not that familiar with TGFY as the only version I have is on the HFO DVD)

Stuck on the Border

The sneering about TGFY was totally unjustified & one of the more contemptible aspect of Felder's endless criticism of Glenn. When I had the good fortune to see it in 2013, it was just wonderful. I think I'm the only person on this board who has seen it live twice - and come to that I may posssibly be the only person who saw it during the HFO tour. It was played in December 1995, unlike GOI which had been dropped. Felder gets that wrong as well. He asserts that TGFY was dropped very quickly.

I still love Call On Me, This Way To Happiness & Common Ground. They deserve wider recognition. So which song does he choose to play ? The decidedly inferior Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed.

I've said this before, but "This Way to Happiness" is one of his strongest solo vocals ever.