Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Desperado Anniversary Appreciation Thread

I meant to comment on the Under the Covers DVD earlier. I love those interviews with Don and Glenn. My favorite lines are when Don says the only thing they had to do back then was think about writing songs - and girls. He says "and girls" as if it was an afterthought and has this cute little grin on his face. My favorite Glenn line is when they show him an old photo and he says something like "this is not history, it's evidence!" That line cracks me up every time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Unfortunately, over-exposure to a song often dampens its impact - after a while, you stop listening to the lyrics and thinking about the meaning because it's so familiar. When I clear my mind and listen to Desperado with fresh ears, and think of it in the context of two young guys sitting down and coming up with this song... that's when it gets me. I know that Don isn't particularly satisfied with the original recording, as he felt rushed and nervous, but I think that makes it more endearing. In the same way that Out Of Control's raw, haphazard sound works, Don's Desperado vocals work because they're youthful and honest. It's nice that he's had the opportunity to 'perfect' it on stage in the years since, but I still think the original recording stands up there with the best live performances. This whole album is characterised by youth and a mixture of bravado and uncertainty. The themes apply as much to everyday people as they do to outlaws and rockstars. That's what makes it such a great album.

Also, just because it's been in my head all day, I feel the need to mention Saturday Night again! I like the simplicity of it, but I don't think it gets enough credit for its deeper meanings. When it gets to the "what a tangled web we weave" part, it steps up a notch, for me. I love the idea of wondering how to tell "the dancer from the dance". Is it the person you're in love with, or have you been swept up in the wave of courtship and ritual? (Obviously it can apply to many things, not just a person.) This is just idle conjecture, but I think "the dance" is important in Eagles' songs in general, whatever the dance is - the mood, the excitement, running with the same crowd, doing things that are fun but ultimately leave you alone or empty, getting caught up in the moment and going through the motions... I just love lyrics like this that hint to their later work. The fact that they wrote these songs when they were so young never fails to amaze me.

I'm also in the Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise fan club! There's just something different about it. Again, very specific lyrics that somehow turn into important universal themes.
    Wow, Troub! You said it all perfectly. And I don't think it was idle conjecture at all. Really.

Edited to add: Tequila Sunrise started playing on the radio!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Very eloquently stated, Troub!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Happy 37th birthday Desperado!

Desperado was released on this day in 1973. I've changed the default board style accordingly - it's our week to celebrate the Eagles' sophomore album and my personal favorite, Desperado!

Default Re: Happy 37th birthday Desperado!

Happy Birthday, Desperado!

I think it is my favourite album, too. I love the theme, and there are some truly great songs on it. (I'm sure I will expand on that when I have a bit more time!)

I love the board style, and your avatar is SMOKIN', Soda. Who doesn't love our Eagles as gunslingers?

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

The thing I love about Desperado is that (IMHO) there is not one weak song on the album. There are stronger individual songs in the Eagles catalog, but this album is the most consistently good - and the theme aspect really puts it over the top.

Here's a video for us to enjoy, to get into the spirit of it:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_XOh0IQ6ok[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwlY6mXy0qs"][/ame]

Stuck on the Border

Are we going to do a Survivor for it, or is that not possible at the moment due to an upcoming Road Trip?

I have to say I'm becoming a real Desperado fan. I think on this album Randy and Bernie really shine - this is perhaps the most integrated 'group' album where all four members are equally showcased.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, Happy Anniversary to my 2nd favorite Eagles album. I agree with most of you that this album is a superb piece of work. There is not a single bad song on it, IMHO. I just shake my head now when I think about when it first came out. I liked it, but I didn't think it was as good as the 'Eagles' album at the time. I wasn't alone either because it wasn't as commercially successful. It wasn't until I purchased my Eagles box set about 5 years ago, and started listening to all of the albums again that I gained a brand new appreciation for the album.

And Soda, thanks for posting that YouTube video of my very favorite song from the album. To me, that is among the best of the best.

And FP, we decided not to do a Desperado Survivor game right now. It is too close to the On the Border game and we're going to have a lot going on in the next few weeks with the resumption of the LROOE tour. We'll get around to it some time though, I'm sure.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ah yes, Desperado. 37 years ago? Impossible! This is my favorite album overall (as some of you have stated here), as I said back when we ranked the albums. I even had to change my av for the celebration! Love nearly every song on it.

And I think it's funny that someone (I think from the record company) said when they finished it up, something about "they made a f*&#@*#g cowboy record" or something to that effect! Well, cowboy record or not, it's wonderful!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Here's the show that quote was from - Under the Covers - check it out, guys. They talk about the Desperado photo shoot and show footage from it. Glenn looks magnificent.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hhKPNYKis[/ame]