Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Default Re: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    Don't know what I thought but never realized the term British also included Scots, Irish, and Welsh. Also makes sense that the Scottish customs would emerge here, especially in the mountain regions where they mostly settled.
    Nationality is, at times, a very sore point in the UK.

The Scots and the Welsh now have their own Parliaments with MPs (Members of Parliament - like your senators) voted for by people living in their constituencies. I think the same applies in Northern Ireland, but I think they've had their local Parliament probably since 1922 when Ireland was split into Northern Ireland, which acknowledges the Queen as head of state, and Southern Ireland (Eire/Republic of Ireland) with its own head of government. See first couple of paragraphs of
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland

Bit about North Ireland government
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governm...rthern_Ireland

Meanwhile the only people not to have their own parliament are the English. We're ruled by the House of Commons which consists of MPs from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

In sport, Scotland and to a degree Wales, get very upset when someone like Chris Hoy wins a gold medal in the Olympics which is included in the tally for the UK. They think they should compete as separate nations. Commentators add fuel to the fire when they describe Chris as 'British' instead of Scottish.
    In the Olympics football, Ryan Giggs who's Welsh, played such a dreadful game that English fans were outraged that such a mardy-bum should have been allowed to play for the British team as there were plenty of Englishmen who would have willingly played for the nation.

Happy families.

(And apologies for going slightly off topic.)

Thanks for the information. I love that we have such an international board.

I learned about the importance of distinguishing among the British nationalities at a young age. I was in Saudi Arabia at an international school, and I was 12. I was doing an oral report on the American revolution and I kept talking about "the English army." A girl in the class, who was Scottish, raised her hand and very adamantly insisted I should have used the term "British." I asked her why, and after she explained, I have always been careful to qualify!

And she celebrated Halloween, BTW.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    "I didn't know about the Celtic connection.
    Wikipedia agrees that it probably went to America with Irish and Scottish emigrants."

This is an interesting explanation. Don't know what I thought but never realized the term British also included Scots, Irish, and Welsh. Also makes sense that the Scottish customs would emerge here, especially in the mountain regions where they mostly settled.
    The Irish would have been British subjects at the time that Australia (and the USA) was colonised, and many of the Irish who eventually settled in Australia ahd their origin as convicts who had committed crimes against the British establishment. Often those crimes would have been revolution based!

Like UKTF said, Nationality can be a sore point here too! While I would have family and friends in all parts of the UK, and really don't feel any animousity towards England in any way, there are many irish people who would not share my benign views! Call Ireland part of the 'British Isles' (Yes, I know they are called that in an atlas) and you could be in for trouble! Suggest to an Irish person that they could in some way be 'British' and the guns will be out!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Just reviving this thread to wish everyone a

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Hope you all have a ghoulish time!

A little treat from me:

Not really very good, but I'm learning!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Smile Re: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Just reviving this thread to wish everyone a

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Hope you all have a ghoulish time!

A little treat from me:

Not really very good, but I'm learning!
    nothing wrong with that !

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Happy Halloween, everyone!! I'm getting ready for all the trick or treaters now. Probably won't have many, it's raining hard and very windy.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Have a spooky Halloween!!!! LOL my favvie day of the year. I love scaring people. LOL. Here are two of my favvie ghouls all in one (Scream ghoul and Freddy Kruger):
    And yes this is me

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I was Joe Walsh for Halloween tonight. I had a lot of fun making his Les Paul. I got a ton of extra candy too because everyone loved my Joe Walsh costume. I'll be on a sugar high for a while. Hehehe
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

happy Halloween everyone.
    we got thirty kids

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    happy Halloween everyone.
    we got thirty kids
    I got three!! I ought to keep the candy instead of taking it all to work. Since the weather's so bad, maybe they'll try again tomorrow evening. A lot of communities postponed trick or treating until tomorrow anyway, due to the forecast.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.