View Poll Results: Which is your favorite way to listen to music?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like the organized format of albums and playlists. I like to know what song is coming next.

13 48.15%
  • The shuffle feature on my audio device. I like the element of surprise, but from songs I've chosen.

13 48.15%
  • The randomness od radio, baby! I want to be surprised!

1 3.70%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What is your favorite way to listen to music?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: What is your favorite way to listen to music?

I'm having to go back to cds since my ipod has quit. Now it seems that every cd I have has scratches. Why? I've taken care of them! I've cleaned the cd player......? Makes me mad.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I can't even imagine what my LP's would sound like at this point. I wanted to get a turntable to play them, but I have a feeling they would sound very scratchy & I would be very disappointed, which is why I still haven't gotten a turntable. I probably still have pot seeds floating in some of those albums... But the artwork on those albums is priceless!!! Compared to seeing a cd, it just doesn't even come close. I think I may someday get some of those album frames to hang them on the wall because I probably won't be listening to them! Sad

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I can't even imagine what my LP's would sound like at this point. I wanted to get a turntable to play them, but I have a feeling they would sound very scratchy & I would be very disappointed, which is why I still haven't gotten a turntable. I probably still have pot seeds floating in some of those albums... But the artwork on those albums is priceless!!! Compared to seeing a cd, it just doesn't even come close. I think I may someday get some of those album frames to hang them on the wall because I probably won't be listening to them! Sad
    It is sad, but I'm right there with you. On top of all that, I had the LPs stored in my attic for at least two summers (not on purpose!). So I'm not sure any of them would play.

There's a lot of people who are fond of all the pops and clicks and say how much richer the music sounds on vinyl. I can't hear the music for all the pops and clicks. It distracted me in the 70's, it irritates me now.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I usually have in my head in advance the albums i want to hear that day. And i'll make my own playlists.

Mick

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm very much an albums guy - I like to listen to albums from front to back. That doesn't mean I don't listen to songs separately but if I never play an album in full there's usually a good reason why not.

There are also albums which I think are quite simply best listened to in order as they are tied together by a concept or a common theme. Pink Floyd's concept albums (The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall) are the most obvious examples in my collection, and it's the same with Desperado. There are also albums which are worth listening to in order simply because every track is great (I consider HC to be in this category, alongside albums like Led Zeppelin IV, Wishbone Ash's Argus and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours) or because the whole is better than the sum of its parts (Neil Young's After The Gold Rush stands out to me in this regard).

There are one or two albums where sometimes I deviate from the usual front to back, take Pink Floyd's Meddle for instance where sometimes I start with the epic 23-minute long Echoes (which took up the whole of side 2 on the original LP) before then going on to listen to side 1, while I've also listened to the electric side 2 of Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Rust Never Sleeps before playing the acoustic side 2.

Having said all that, I have recently created a few iPod playlists which have a 'pool' of songs which are then played at random, usually in the car.
    - Acoustic & Ballads - Mainly a softer, quieter collection of songs, probably more acoustic folk or country songs than ballads in truth.
    - Rock, Rhythm & Blues - A collection of harder rockers or blues-inspired songs. My Dad loves this playlist but my Mum isn't such a fan (I deliberately put most of the songs she doesn't really like but I wanted to include on one playlist so I could play the others around her).
    - Other Favourites - Pretty much anything else goes here, the only real criteria being that it's not too off the wall or too long. I think of it as the middle playlist of the three.

All in all the playlists have been fun to listen to, I sometimes like the songs to be random although I dislike total randomness - I've never been much of a radio listener, sometimes songs I like do come up but quite often they get cut which usually annoys me. The lack of classic rock stations in the UK does not help either.

The Eagles feature prominently on all the playlists as they have such a wide range of material, the same isn't true of other acts - for example most of the Led Zeppelin songs I've included are on the rock playlist whereas my Fleetwood Mac songs are mainly on the other two with just a few on the rock one. All of the Neil Young songs on the acoustic/ballads playlist are solo and the ones on the rock playlist are with Crazy Horse, with the middle featuring songs by both.