Page 194 of 302 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204244294 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

VA-that's outrageous, I hope for the best for your family

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Thanks, everyone! It's hard to say what's in his head on this, but I do know that no one will get him to take them if he doesn't want to! Most of them specifically say not to crush them or cut them, so they can't even be 'sneaked' to him, though I have to say I'd hesitate to do that. He has all his faculties, so it's his decision. All I can do is give input.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

VA - best of luck with your dad.

--

Well I went to a new pulmonologist today in a bigger city and I have a final (hoping) explanation of my fatigue and shortness of breath.

I have 50 percent lung function, 40 percent with a spasm test (what it's like when I come in contact with a trigger)....with a breathing treatment it went to 95 percent lung function...OMG. He said no wonder I passed out and I'm so tired because I'm working much harder to breathe than a normal person.

He did allergy testing and I'm allergic to dust mites and ragweed and am starting shots for both, and am on a steroid inhaler twice a day (Symbicort), and a steroid shot I got today. I also have a rescue inhaler (Albuterol) and they drew blood to send away and did a chest xray and EKG, which was normal.

He's pretty sure it's asthma and not COPD as I have no coughing issues. I go back in two weeks for another breathing test and I also start allergy shots then. He said it's uncommon for men to have asthma appear in their adulthood, and normally it's a kids thing, hence his concern for something more malicious like COPD. It's much worse than the local internist/pulmonologist wannabe I saw thought it was. He didn't do hardly any testing.

I know after that breathing treatment I felt like someone had taken a Mack truck off of my chest. Wow... I had no idea it was this bad. He said the cold air and walking is sure what caused my attack and that I'm lucky my airway didn't completely constrict and for me to carry albuterol with me when I walk more than a few steps.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Wonderful news Austin. I know it is not wonderful to deal with a chronic condition/illness but it is wonderful in that you may finally know the problem and can start treating it. And I can totally understand the fatigue. When my allergies start up and I cannot breathe, I am exhausted. Lack of oxygen just saps your energy.
    Take care! You're in my prayers.

Austin, I'm glad you're getting some answers! Yes, I learned the hard way that going to concerts when your asthma is out of control is a bad thing. At Raleigh, going up the stairs after the concert was awful. At the top I leaned against a table and seriously thought about asking security to call an ambulance. What you said about a Mack truck on your chest is no exaggeration. Then a few days later in Cincy, I had a prime parking spot right at the exit of the garage, then after walking up five flights of stairs realized I had forgotten my inhaler. I walked back down and couldn't walk up five flights again. So I drove up. Consequently, it took me over an hour to get out of the garage, and then it was a two hour drive home. From what you've said, your issues have been worse, and I can't imagine it.

When I get a rescue inhaler, I get refills and get them all filled at once. I keep one in my briefcase, in my makeup bag, beside my bed. I seldom ever have to use one, but then when I come into contact with long haired dogs or honeysuckle, it goes completely out of control in a matter of minutes. I also have a problem with acid reflux at times (I have a hiatal hernia), and when I get heartburn very badly, it gives me asthma problems as well. I've since learned that not all doctors think about that, and don't connect those dots.
    VK

So glad that you have some answers Austin! I totally agree that, even though it's no fun dealing with a chronic illness, at least you know what it is and can treat it.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Austin, great news that it seems like the doctor has figured it out! Good luck with your treatment. My son had asthma and allergies as a baby and throughout his childhood so I could understand all you are doing for it. He still has problems during ragweed season. Thankfully, his wasn't exercise induced as he was very active in sports.

I took a day off yesterday to do some stuff around home. I got all my Christmas presents wrapped and under the tree and made Christmas sugar cookies. My son had requested them a few times. I now remember why I swore I would never make them again. OMG, they are so time consuming! They are pretty and good to eat, but........! I told him he better enjoy them cause I really, really don't want to make them anymore! Ugh!

I will post a pic the the Every Picture thread. They did turn out pretty good!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Austin, great news that it seems like the doctor has figured it out! Good luck with your treatment. My son had asthma and allergies as a baby and throughout his childhood so I could understand all you are doing for it. He still has problems during ragweed season. Thankfully, his wasn't exercise induced as he was very active in sports.

I took a day off yesterday to do some stuff around home. I got all my Christmas presents wrapped and under the tree and made Christmas sugar cookies. My son had requested them a few times. I now remember why I swore I would never make them again. OMG, they are so time consuming! They are pretty and good to eat, but........! I told him he better enjoy them cause I really, really don't want to make them anymore! Ugh!

I will post a pic the the Every Picture thread. They did turn out pretty good!
    I saw the pic on Facebook, very pretty!! We used to make sugar cookies every year and the nephews decorated them. Took forever because we used knives, brushes, and toothpicks to 'paint' them with icing and they were pretty detailed. We've not done it the last two years since I now live in KY.
    VK

Thanks all!

I took my first dose of the inhaler tonight, it's Symbicort and it really has opened me up. I can walk down the hall without needing to sit down and catch my breath.

I'm very hopeful this is the cause of the chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, everything.

Austin, so glad that it already seems to be getting better.

Just read an article from DICE (an IT job board) that tech hiring is expected to 'break records' in the early part of 2015. Sounds like I did the right thing by waiting to look for a new job. I definitely am, this job currently is driving me crazy. Now, I just need to lock down what location I want to search in, and get over this aversion to not answering the phone when it's a number I don't recognize.
    VK