Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

Default Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

I was talking somewhere else, naming my favorite bands and artists, and someone responded with a patronizing "You probably like that stuff because YOUTH is good".

I'm 34, and 99% of what I love (music, movies, stand-up comedy) was created before I was born. And that 1% with music is the stuff recorded by bands/artists that started in the 60s and 70s.

Default Re: Dislike Music Outside of the 60s and 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    I was talking somewhere else, naming my favorite bands and artists, and someone responded with a patronizing "You probably like that stuff because YOUTH is good".
    What does that mean?

This person assumed I was much older than I was, and that I was just reminiscing.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

To quote Morrissey, "Not everyone is intelligent." Meaning not everyone who criticizes you even knows what the hell they're talking about

They dismiss it as nostalgia because they likely don't have any taste in music and just accept what the media conglomerates dish out. Or if your critic is a hipster, what the cognoscenti deems au courant.

I have friends who keep saying "Dude, you gotta listen to new music?" - and when I ask why, they have no answer... First off, I've heard plenty being in someone else' car, television, movie, etc... Didn't move me, for many reasons. But most importantly, why would I deprive myself of pleasure?

Only music I like out of the 60s and 70s range is Gary Clark Jr and GNR .

My friend listens to Ed Sheran amd John Mayer who I like to call Corprate Rock

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I absolutely love 80s music and 90s (especially 90s alt rock) as well as 60s & 70s. I also liked a lot of the music that was out in the early 2000s too as I was in high school and the first time at college then and really into the punk rock that was out at the time. As for today's music it's similar to how it was for me in the 90s as I mostly listen to current country music and alternative rock. There's a lot of great artists and bands in both genres that I like. As for today's pop music I do like Ed Sheran, Adele, Lady Gaga, Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, and a few others but I don't listen to that genre as much as I used to.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I notice that 15-yr olds always revert to the 60s and 70s, but NONE of them seem to know 80s bands, regardless of how big they were.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    To quote Morrissey, "Not everyone is intelligent." Meaning not everyone who criticizes you even knows what the hell they're talking about

They dismiss it as nostalgia because they likely don't have any taste in music and just accept what the media conglomerates dish out. Or if your critic is a hipster, what the cognoscenti deems au courant.
    You're so "right on."

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

I think there is something to be said for the theory that when you're in the teens and in your twenties at your most emotionally vulnerable, the music you hear gets connected to your life in a way that doesn't occur with the generation before you... and that kind of intense life connection doesn't occur as much as you reach middle age and beyond. Thus, the vast majority of each generation will almost inevitably claim that music started to go downhill right after they left behind their youth.

I was a teen in the late 80s/early 90s, and when everyone hates on 80s and 90s music, I think of all those songs I connected with when I was young and how big a part of my life they were. To this day, I know the lyrics to just about every hit of that time period, even the ones from earlier in the 80s that were still playing on the radio when I was coming of age.

While the bands I am most passionate about (BY FAR) are the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac, I know many more of the songs played on 80s and 90s stations than I do the ones played on the 60s and 70s stations. Thus, I find myself enjoying the music of those stations more...

... and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten