Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Henley at Hyde Park 3 July (with Carole King)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Don Henley at Hyde Park 3 July (with Carole King)

Quote Originally Posted by L101 View Post
    This is getting so annoying - another review complaining that Don is focusing too much on his solo material and not enough on the Eagles material - not sure they understand that it's a Don solo tour ??

" It was a warm, wonderful show on a hot summer’s night and a contrast to supporting player Don Henley’s set. The former Eagles frontman spent too much time on his solo work and not enough on the band’s back catalogue, although he redeemed himself with Hotel California and Desperado – the latter movingly dedicated to fellow Eagles frontman Glenn Frey who died in January."

http://attitude.co.uk/review-stevie-...h-summer-time/
    I agree, and I think what makes it especially annoying is that the single biggest difference between his Hyde Park setlist and his other European shows is that he dropped virtually all of the Cass County songs (the only survivor was IDMTTS), whereas all of the Eagles songs he played were retained. Less than 12 months ago, Seven Bridges Road was the closest thing he had to an Eagles song on his setlist, whereas in this show six of the fifteen songs were Eagles songs. Once you take out these plus 7BR, most of the other remaining songs were included on his solo compilations Actual Miles and The Very Best Of, so there is no case for saying that he left out classics in favour of newer or more obscure material, and his solo material did not dominate the show by any means.

No matter what. For his solo songs, he will always going to have The End of The Innocence, The Heart Of The Matter(I think people would be mad if he didn't have that song in his set), Dirty Laundry, and The Boys Of Summer. Everything else is open.

Looking at his setlist for the European tour, it was balanced compare to him having all new songs last year, but he had to promote the album. SO that was understandable.

I've been to show where the artist plays new songs back to back. With you not knowing none of the new songs, yeah you get restless. But if its scattered, its better instead of 4 new songs in a row.

I would be really disappointed if he didn't play his solo hits in addition to a few Eagles songs. That reviewer is clueless.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    No matter what. For his solo songs, he will always going to have The End of The Innocence, The Heart Of The Matter(I think people would be mad if he didn't have that song in his set), Dirty Laundry, and The Boys Of Summer. Everything else is open.

Looking at his setlist for the European tour, it was balanced compare to him having all new songs last year, but he had to promote the album. SO that was understandable.

I've been to show where the artist plays new songs back to back. With you not knowing none of the new songs, yeah you get restless. But if its scattered, its better instead of 4 new songs in a row.
    I would agree with Shun that yes the setlist was very balanced as far as I saw. He showcased his new album well without overdoing it, had a very good mix of Eagles and solo songs and also rockers and ballads.
    I'd have liked ASWTDID but it wasn't a deal breaker that it wasn't included.

I also think he deferred very well to Glenn . It had to have been difficult for him but it was nice for Glenn's fans to hear him say something. And the Desperado dedication was perfect
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Oops. I left out All She Wants To Do Is Dance. That would definitely say that would be in the setlist all the time. I would say Sunset Grill and New York Minute, but he sometimes leave those songs out. I don't think I ever seen a setlist of those songs I listed(including ASWTDIS) not in the show.

Out on the Border

Hi All! I'm a newbie. Here is a review:

https://peterviney.wordpress.com/pet...ley-hyde-park/

Hi, newbie. Welcome. And thanks for the review!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Thanks and welcome!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here are a few videos from the Hyde Park concert. They came up on my google alert.

The Last Resort
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRxarTaf3Yk[/ame]

Everybody Wants To Rule the World
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abXN40VzKeM[/ame]

Hotel California
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27wMpf7Z7Ro[/ame]

The Boys Of Summer
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hVmLf8wJU[/ame]

Border Troubadour

Thanks Shun, TLR is just sublime! Don - always magnificent
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...