Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first CD you ever bought?

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Now, about the Monkees: I watched them the first go-round too, and I had a huge crush on Davy. I was tickled when MTV ran their old episodes back in the 80s. About five years ago, Davy actually came to Birmingham to do a midnight concert on the day after Thanksgiving at our largest mall, The Galleria. I loaded up my van with my daughters, their friends, and several of their moms, and we did the "Thanksgiving Rock & Shop" until the wee hours. I stood in line to get my picture made with Davy while everyone else shopped. He was just as cute in person, and sweet and gracious too, signing autographs and posing for pictures all night long. Great fun!
    You got your picture made with Davy? Cool! I remember entering an MTV contest to meet the Monkees. I was so disappointed when I didn't win - and so jealous of the girl that did! I remember being disgusted when I watched the filmed meeting and the girl didn't even know how to do the Monkee walk. lol

The first concert I ever went to was a Monkees concert, for their anniversary tour. The Monkees were also my first computer project. My family got a computer around that time, but I never had much reason to type anything on it, and I wanted one. I decided that I would type up all the lyrics to all of the Monkees songs and call it "The Monkee Treasury." I did it over several weeks, and all was well, until one of my Dad's friends accidentally deleted it! Back then there was no "recycle bin." Nancy was not happy! And look at me now, 20 years later, still typing up lyrics.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

We got our first CD player in 1994, and bought 5 CDs to play the same day. I can only remember two of them though, one was Hell Freezes Over, and one was Texas Flood (Stevie Ray Vaughan). I think one may have been Steve Earle (Exit 0). No idea what the rest were. Now we have about 300, but we still have all our LPs and singles. I've started collected LPs again, even though I don't have a record player (yet).

I used to have a list of all my tracks (from LPs, tapes and CDs), but it got a bit too big and then I couldn't be bothered to keep it up to date.
    You can spend all your time making money
    You can spend all your love making time
    If it all fell to pieces tomorrow
    Could you still be mine

Nancy, I think you and I must be related somehow. We have so much in common--Eagles, GH, Monkees..who knows what else? I love it!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Now, about the Monkees:
    Gee, who knew we had so many Monkees fans here?! I was thrilled when MTV started showing re-runs of the series in Spring of 1986 at all hours of the day and night. I had just had Tom, and I would sit up with him watching the Monkees while he nursed. I credit the Monkees with getting me through those long weeks of 2 am feedings. I'll bet if he hears the "Theme from the Monkees" today, Tom still thinks it's time to eat.

Peter thinks he's named after my grandfather (that's the story I'm sticking with), but I actually came up with the idea for his name because I always loved the way Davey would say "Pe-tah".
    [

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Here's another Monkees fan! I loved watching them on tv in the 60's, too! And Davey was my crush, too! We do have good taste in men, don't we?! And I'll join you, Z and Glenneaglesfan with the geritol and walkers!

DonFan, that is so cool that you got your picture with him! Would you mind sharing it with us? And I turned 50 last August, too!

And as I'm typing this, Take the Last Train to Clarksville is playing on my radio! Right after Already Gone!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Ahhh, Davey..... <sigh> ...... he was my second big crush, right after Sir Paul. That man could play a mean tambourine!

DF, I too, would love to see that picture of you and Davey. Please?
    I am not an island
    I am not alone
    I am my intentions
    Trapped here in this flesh and bone

Stuck on the Border

Back on topic for a moment I was thinking how disposable music has become, at least for me. We were all so proud of our records & then CDs. Now, with iPods, if you don't think a song is perfect you can delete it. When I had nearly 6000 tracks on there and it nearly filled the hard drive, I had to have a severe rethink. Now every second or third track I hear, I think 'do I really need that'? Even the Beatles have had a couple of tracks deleted from my library (Revolution 9, anyone)? While it's sad in a way, it means I pretty much only hear the cream of the crop. I also now rotate stuff on there so I won't fill up the hard drive again. The only artists who are going to be permanent fixtures in some form are the Beatles, Eagles, Glenn, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Randy Newman & Dire Straits/Knopfler. Everyone else can be dispensed with. That is just how life is now.

It is hard chosing the best and most important music, isn't it?

I would love to share my Davy pic with you guys (not for me but for Davy, who is so cute), but it's not on a disc & I don't have a scanner. I can send a copy of it to Nancy and she can scan it, if that's all right with her.

I wouldn't mind at all scanning that in for you - I'd love to see it too!

Freypower, I just got an iPod nano as a surprise late birthday gift before I left for West Lafayette. It has 8 gigs on it. I spent a day filling it up and I put so much of my music collection on there that I probably won't be listening to a full CD of music any time soon. I'll just put the best songs on my iPod. I guess that kind of thing makes musicians cringe!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG FP - I can't believe you had almost 6000 songs on your IPOD. That is amazing.

Now ladies - You can count me in as another Monkees fan. I had a huge crush on Davy as well, although I liked Mickey a lot, too. The last time I saw a picture of Davy, he still looked quite well. We'd love to see your picture, DF.

And one last reprimand to all of you about all this old age talk. Like I said, nobody here is older than me, and as some very wise gentlemen once proclaimed - "I'm not ready for the rockin' chair!" :P

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016