Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

To continue with our On the Border celebration week, I thought I'd also go ahead and post the posters that were included with the album. I know they are really big, but not as big as the originals, which opened up to be double the size of the LP cover. In any event, most of us probably won't have a problem with the size ...

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

AWESOME!! Just look at those handsome faces.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Love those pics!!! If I was around back in 70s I totally would have had that poster on my wall. LOL
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

A fantastic album - thanks for posting the posters!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

A belated happy 42nd birthday to this great album!

It is my third favourite Eagles album overall and I definitely think is underrated outside of this community. My favourite songs are Already Gone, My Man and Good Day In Hell, all of which are my among my absolute favourite Eagles songs, although I like all of them a lot and gravitate towards different songs in different moods.

To me there is one man who more than anyone else who made this record great. I think Glenn was on fire at the time of this album - all of his lead vocals are terrific. Three of the four hardest rockers, the only exception being the title track, are his vocals. I know GDIH is a co-lead, but it is Glenn's voice that I hear most prominently. It was also the last album where he really contributed a lot of guitar. I really like his slide playing on Is It True? and especially Midnight Flyer, and I believe he played the R&B-inspired guitar on the outro to the title track, as well as the solo on Already Gone. He also played the piano on Ol' 55 and YNCLAL, as well as (I believe) coming up with the beautiful melody to The Best Of My Love. I think he really shone throughout the record. That's not to say he was the only member who shone - the song where he is least prominent is IMO My Man, which I absolute love and consider it to be Bernie's finest Eagles song, while Don and Randy both make great contributions. There is also the small matter of Don Felder's storming guitar work on GDIH and Already Gone.

In short, I just love the overall sound and feel of this album, as well as the songs. I also really like the artwork from this era, the cover looks great and the stylised lettering is also very cool.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

JCL, thanks for your thoughts on this album! I enjoyed that!

I love the artwork and pictures too! Fantastic album!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Happy 43rd Birthday to On The Border.

Like I said last year. This album has really grown on me especially when you hear a lot of the songs on Pandora and IHeart Radio.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Happy 43rd Anniversary to "On the Border"!!

I love this album--it covers all the bases in terms of depth and range of this band's talent. Rock, pop, bluegrass, country, R&B are all heard--and done very well--here. I love the slide guitar, pedal steel, and piano parts, and there's some excellent bass work as well. The vocal leads are stellar and the vocal harmonies rank as probably their best ever.

Of course, Don Felder's "late arrival" harkens a new era for the band...

A wonderful, superb album!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Happy 43rd Anniversary to "On the Border"!!

I love this album--it covers all the bases in terms of depth and range of this band's talent. Rock, pop, bluegrass, country, R&B are all heard--and done very well--here. I love the slide guitar, pedal steel, and piano parts, and there's some excellent bass work as well. The vocal leads are stellar and the vocal harmonies rank as probably their best ever.

Of course, Don Felder's "late arrival" harkens a new era for the band...

A wonderful, superb album!
    I really like this album too, just might be my favorite as well! (hard to pick)
    I agree with you that the harmonies are the greatest!!

Border Troubadour

Belated happy birthday On the Border!

It may not have the strong underlying concept of Desperado or the sheer prolificness of Hotel California, but it is a set of ten well-written, listenable songs. It is a superb album from first to last, relenting only slightly for me with Is It True?. I even love the cover!

There are a couple of personal highlights on this album that rank among the Eagles finest moments for me: the utterly beautiful harmonies and steel pedal that accompany Ol' 55, the effective simplicity of Best of My Love, and the glorious carousel line and subsequent solo in You Never Cry Like a Lover. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I still wear the album t-shirt I bought during their HOTE tour leg in England three years ago, even if it now fits me like a parachute!