Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite/Least Favourite Albums by Artist

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Favourite/Least Favourite Albums by Artist

I was thinking about my favourite and least favourite albums by each of my top bands/artists recently and thought it would be quite interesting to do a thread on the subject.

Hopefully this should be relatively straightforward, I'll post my favourites list below as a guide which should help. All artists/bands are welcome, and you can do as many or as few as you like. I suspect more people will want to do their favourite albums, but I thought including least favourites as well would add an extra dimension - it might seem 'negative' but I think it's interesting to read why an album by an artist a person likes or loves doesn't click with them, or why it ranks last.

I'll start with my favourites list. For an artist to be included on my list I feel I have to own at least two albums by the artist, and have included longer descriptions for those who I have more than three albums from, although this is a personal preference and there are no fixed rules as to who you can choose to do. So without further ado:

Favourite Albums by Artist
    Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
    Just edges out The Dark Side of the Moon as my favourite. I think the flow of the latter album is unparalleled, but I absolutely love every note of this album and it contains Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is probably my favourite song of all time.

Eagles – Hotel California
    Absolutely love every song on this album! I wrote loads more about it in the Eagles albums thread so here I’ll just say I love the rockers and the ballads every bit as much. Great though the hits are, I feel The Last Resort is the jewel in the crown and it was an absolute privilege to see Don perform it live. Desperado is my second favourite record though, and sometimes comes close to toppling HC!

Don Henley – The End of the Innocence
    I feel this is the most consistent of Don’s albums – I could live without Shangri-La and to a lesser extent How Bad Do You Want It, but I really like everything else and the opening and closing tracks are two of his absolute highlights of his solo career. Right now Cass County is probably my second favourite, although I’ve yet to listen to Inside Job and am new to most of I Can’t Stand Still.

Led Zeppelin – IV
    A tour de force of everything Led Zeppelin were great at! Four Sticks is a cool track and I could say the same thing about Physical Graffiti too, but there’s a couple of tracks I’m not so crazy about on there whereas I love this whole record.

Dire Straits – Love Over Gold
    Not a popular opinion, but to me this is their best and most consistent album. Telegraph Road is in my opinion Mark Knopfler’s finest hour (okay – quarter of an hour!) and the other tracks are all very strong. The songs are lengthy, but each one has its own unique character.

Mark Knopfler – Sailing To Philadelphia
    The best and most consistent solo Knopfler record, many great songs and I think he is at his best here as both a songwriter and a guitarist. Along with Long Road Out Of Eden, it’s probably my favourite record from 2000 onwards.

Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
    My favourite, hands down! Have loved this as long as I can remember (I reckon it’s probably the album I’ve listened to most times in my life) and I cannot imagine any of their other records toppling it. The self-titled ‘White Album’ is my second favourite.

Neil Young – Rust Never Sleeps
    Half of this album is solo Neil and half of it is with Crazy Horse. This is no accident – the combination of superb acoustic and electric material is one reason this album is my favourite! My favourite solo album is After The Gold Rush; my favourite Crazy Horse record is Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

Bob Dylan – Blood on the Tracks
    This is my favourite Dylan album, there is very little in it between this and the equally superlative Highway 61 Revisited but it was the first one I heard and therefore it’s that little bit more special to me. It also helps that it is perhaps the greatest breakup album ever penned.

A few others:
    Deep Purple – Machine Head
    Lynyrd Skynyrd – Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
    Wishbone Ash – Argus
    Genesis – Selling England By The Pound
    Joe Walsh – But Seriously, Folks
    Rush – Moving Pictures
    (could be Permanent Waves on another day though)

I have my least favourites already written up and will post those soon as well.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favourite/Least Favourite Albums by Artist

I can do a few, some of which I share with JCL, who is more eloquent than I am. There are some artists I love but I don't have that many albums by them (Queen) or the number of albums I have may not represent their entire career (Neil Young). Regarding least favourites, in most cases if I didn't like an album I didn't buy the CD. I will say which albums these are, but I will have to choose from albums I actually own at the moment. I will do this in the order of artists who are currently most important to me. At the moment I think I will just list the albums & if people want reasons I will attempt to give some.

FAVOURITE ALBUMS

Beatles - Revolver
    Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Dire Straits - Making Movies
    Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia
    Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
    Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden
    Glenn Frey - Strange Weather
    Genesis - We Can't Dance
    Phil Collins - Face Value
    Peter Gabriel - So
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Paul McCartney - Band On The Run
    Van Morrison - Moondance
    Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps

LEAST FAVOURITE

Beatles - Beatles For Sale
    Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup*
    Led Zeppelin - Presence
    Dire Straits - On Every Street
    Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart
    Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding*
    Eagles - One Of These Nights
    Glenn Frey - The Allnighter
    Genesis - Nursery Cryme
    Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    Peter Gabriel - 3
    Elton John - Peachtree Road*
    Paul McCartney - London Town*
    Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
    Neil Young - Tonight's The Night*

* Stones - Dirty Work
    Dylan - Empire Burlesque
    Elton John - Ice On Fire
    McCartney - McCartney II
    Young - Trans

Those five were albums that were so bad I never bought the CDs.

Of those, the biggest surprise would be Tonight's The Night. OOH, it's about people dying of drug overdoses. Heavy, man, REAL. No it isn't. It's the most overrated album ever made, apart from the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds & Springssteen's Born To Run.
    Last edited by Freypower; 07-08-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Favorite Albums
    George Harrison-All things must pass
    Guns N Roses-Chinese Democracy
    Lynyrd Skynyrd-Street Survivors
    Beatles-Abbey Road
    Eagles-Hotel California
    Least Favorite
    George Harrison-Extra Texture Read All About It
    Guns N Roses-GNR LIES(I think it was a good filler album to stem the wait sorta speak to the Illusions but it should have been split into to EPS
    Lynyrd Skynyrd-Nothing
    Beatles-Please Please Me
    Eagles-Long Road Out Of Eden(Need to listen to this more)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Here's my least favourites list - I've actually written more about most of these than for my favourites. This is because I felt I needed to emphasise the difference between the albums that I do like and are a bit unlucky to be here and the ones that I find genuinely disappointing.

Least Favourites
    Pink Floyd – A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
    There are two main problems with this album IMO – the first is the awkward combination of 1980s production styles with sounds that nod towards classic Floyd songs, which unfortunately highlights that the newer songs aren’t as good. The other is that it is barely even a Pink Floyd record. Roger Waters was gone, but Rick Wright and Nick Mason hardly played on this record, meaning that it is virtually a David Gilmour solo album which tries too hard to sound like a ‘Pink Floyd’ album, so unfortunately it doesn’t really work as either. It although it starts and ends reasonably well (Learning To Fly and Sorrow), most of side two in particular is not very good IMO. I’m not against the post-Waters era at all – I love The Division Bell, an album which I think has aged much better.
    I think I should also pick a ‘true’ Pink Floyd album and of the albums by the classic quartet, I’d go for the More Soundtrack. It has some good, interesting songs on side one (Cymbaline, Cirrus Minor) but I find most of the instrumentals on side two to be mediocre and so I tend to switch off after Ibiza Bar. I find most of it to be pleasant, but far from essential.

Eagles – One Of These Nights
    When I posted my Eagles album rankings I placed this last – I feel out of their albums this is the one that holds together least well as a complete record. The four main Henley/Frey-penned tracks are great and amongst their best, but the songs by the others don’t quite reach the same level. I guess I find it somewhat inconsistent, and although the wide variety of music is commendable, Bernie’s tracks didn’t fit the direction the rest of the band was moving in. Having said this, I honestly enjoy most of the album, and as I enjoy all the Eagles albums something had to come last!

Led Zeppelin – Coda
    Admittedly the ‘easy’ choice, given that it is a mix of unreleased material (some from many years earlier) rather than a fully new release. These songs weren’t meant to be released together and it shows. This would be okay if they were great, but although there are a couple of good songs, several of the outtakes aren’t brilliant, especially on side two, and a couple are IMO blatant filler (Bonzo’s Montreux and the live I Can’t Quit You Baby). The 2015 re-release is an improvement, as it includes Hey Hey What Can I Do, which blows most of these songs away.
    If I had to pick one of their ‘proper’ albums, I’d go for In Through The Out Door – it’s much better than Coda of course, but although I like it and it contains several good tracks, none are among my big favourites. Presence is perhaps less consistent, but I feel it has more high points, which are higher than those on Out Door, and I prefer the ‘back to basics’ sound of that album to the keyboards on ITTOD.

Dire Straits – On Every Street
    This comes across as a tired follow up to Brothers In Arms. I feel the whole album too often tries to recreate the songs from its predecessor with far weaker material. Heavy Fuel, for instance, is fun but ultimately a poor man’s Money For Nothing – without a killer guitar riff and with clumsy, less incisive lyrics. Some of the other tracks are unmemorable to the point where I struggle to actually remember how they go, and even Knopfler’s guitar work doesn’t seem as inspired as usual. The only real saving grace is the magnificent title track, there are a few other decent songs but they wouldn’t stand out on the earlier albums IMO. I was very disappointed when I first listened to it and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who didn’t already own the five earlier albums, all of which are far better.

Mark Knopfler – Golden Heart
    I am mostly familiar with his first four solo albums so I can only really compare the 1996-2004 releases. I prefer this album to On Every Street as I feel that it is less overproduced and homogeneous in its overall sound, but the songwriting is (with a few exceptions) not quite there and thus the album is overly dependent on Knopfler’s guitar playing. Fortunately, most of his electric solos here are great, but for the most part I enjoy the songs with prominent guitar solos, whereas the lower key tracks are not very memorable and don’t do it for me. I like about half the songs from this album, but I can take or leave the rest.

Fleetwood Mac – Tango In The Night
    Too much 1980s pop for my taste as I feel there is too much use of synthesisers, and nowhere near enough of Lindsey’s guitar. The absence of Stevie for most part is another blow, although I actually only like one of her songs on here, and I think most of the album tracks haven’t aged well. On the plus side, I think the singles are undoubtedly very good pop songs, and there was another very good song hidden under the production of Big Love (I love the stripped back live version).

Neil Young – Re.Ac.Tor
    This is more difficult for me as for the most part I own Neil Young’s ‘better’ albums (mainly 1968-79 and 1989-94). I have not explored his work outside this era to any great extent, but I have heard this one so I feel this has to go down as my least favourite. Neil has made several other guitar jam-based records with Crazy Horse and this isn’t one of the better ones. It’s not all bad – I must admit I do actually enjoy T-Bone, extremely repetitive though it is, and Southern Pacific is a good song. He has far, far better albums in his catalogue though!

EDIT: I hadn’t remembered about Trans. The ‘computer voice’ album – ugh! I’d actually managed to forget about it, but give me Re.Ac.Tor over that one! I think Tonight’s The Night is a good album, but I agree it is overrated. From that era I much prefer On The Beach, generally considered by critics to be ‘good but flawed’ compared to the ‘perfect’ Tonight’s The Night. To me it’s probably the other way around.

Wishbone Ash – Wishbone Four
    This album is reasonably enjoyable, and has some decent songs, but is definitely the weakest of their first four albums and disappointing after Argus. I get the sense they tried to make a ‘Led Zeppelin III’ type album with more acoustic songs, but I think they tried a bit too hard to get mainstream success and I think they lost much of what made them great in the first place – the extended guitar duels and the English folk influences. They lost a bit of their musical identity, and most of the songs are unfortunately too slight to make up for this.

I didn’t include Bob Dylan – I own six of his albums (Freewheelin’, Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks and Desire) and this is only scratching the surface of his career. These are all generally regarded as classic releases so I feel there is little point in picking one of them when I’m almost certain he has worse albums that I haven’t heard. I’ve also left out Lynyrd Skynyrd – I have three of the five Ronnie-era albums and I really like all of them. I really need to get around to listening to Nuthin’ Fancy and Bullets before I can name one for them.

With the others listed I haven’t listened to enough of their albums to pick a least favourite – for example, with Rush I’ve only listened to Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, both of which I really like so there seems no point in picking a least favourite.

In summary, One Of These Nights is probably the 'unluckiest' album to here (I genuinely like and enjoy it), while On Every Street is the one I am most sure of (I much prefer their other five albums).

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Favourite Albums

The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Ringo Starr - Goodnight Vienna
    Paul McCartney (Wings) - Wings at the Speed of Sound
    John Lennon - Imagine
    George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Depeche Mode - Ultra
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Peter Gabriel - Up
    Annie Lennox - Diva
    Depeche Mode - 3 Feet High and Rising
    Crowded House - Together Alone
    Split Enz - Waiata

Least Favourite Albums

The Beatles - Yellow Submarine
    Ringo Starr - Sentimental Journey
    Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peach
    John Lennon - Mind Games (some great songs, too few)
    George Harrison - Living in the Material World
    Pink Floyd - Ummagumma (though some song titles are useful for song games)
    Depeche Mode - Exciter
    Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (or Desperado if HFO doesn't count as an album)
    De La Soul - Art Official Intelligence
    Peter Gabriel - PG2
    Fleetwood Mac - Time
    Annie Lennox - Nostalgia
    Crowded House - Woodface
    Split Enz - Conflicting Emotions

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

10 Favourites

Revolver--The Beatles: The ultimate musical journey. Makes you wonder why 'Sgt. Pepper' is considered the best. While the weakest spot is "Eleanor Rigby," all the other songs more than make up for one less-than-stellar track. Amazing album.

Animals--Pink Floyd: A journey through life's darkest corners. Some amazing jams, though you would probably need to be of a certain mind-set to truly appreciate this one.

The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys--Traffic: Spacey, jazz rock with afro-beats. The title-track is one of the great songs. A real mind-bender of an album.

One of These Nights--The Eagles: Those dissonant musical sounds of their past and future, melded together at that present time, makes this a true gem of an album. Not one bad song, and representative of easily their best work over their 45 years.

Nilsson Schmilsson--Harry Nilsson: This one is a recent discovery for me. Pop Rock at its best. "Without You" is an epic song, though "Gotta Get Up" and "Down" are also noteworthily fun.

The Soft Parade--The Doors: People slag this one for its experimentation with horns and brass. I think that is exactly what makes this album the triumph that it is. The only weak point comes in the title track, when the song goes all weird and wired after Jim Morrison's entreaties for sanctuary and soft asylum. "Tell All the People," "Wild Child," and "Wishful Sinful" are pure classics.

A Space in Time--Ten Years After: This album paints a great bluesadelic panoramic view of the early 70's British music scene. Not a single bad song on here.

Wheels of Fire--Cream: Bluesadelic surrealism at its absolute finest. "Those werrre thhhheee daaaayyyyyyyysss..."

Aja--Steely Dan: Smooooooth jazz...

Tommy--The Who: Concept albums are a difficult art form to pull off. Bands like the Who, the Pretty Things, and Pink Floyd were probably the only ones who were ever able to make anything of it. "Tommy" is really a book in album-form, telling the tale of 'that deaf, dumb, and blind kid,' with each song serving as book chapters. Literature as music.

6 Least Favourites

Let Me Up(I've Had Enough)--Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Only three really amazing songs("Jamming Me," "The Damage You've Done," and "Self Made Man") appear on this 1987 mishmash. The rest are quickly forgettable.

Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory--Traffic: The 1973 follow-up to the 'Low Spark' album is a pretty flaccid affair. The nearly 14-minute epic "Roll Right Stones" is the only truly essential cut from the album. The title track is a very funk-influenced track, and is catchy in places. 'Evening Blue" is merely pleasant listening. "Tragic Magic" and "(Sometimes I Feel So)Uninspired" are as bottom of the barrel as that band gets, and unfortunately signified the predominant musical direction in which they went on their next and final outing, 1974's "When the Eagle Flies."

Yellow Submarine--The Beatles: Over half of the album is an assortment of Classical scores composed by producer George Martin for the animated film of the same name, which is nice if you're one who's into that sort of music. To the studio half, two of the songs("All You Need is Love" and the album's title track) have both already seen released on far superior albums. This leaves four original songs--"All Together Now," "Hey Bulldog," "It's All Too Much," and "Only a Northern Song." The first one is a total throw-away. 'Northern Song' is only remarkable for the swirling keyboards. 'Bulldog' and "It's All Too Much" are classics in their own right, but can't ultimately same the album from a harsh review.

33 1/3--George Harrison: Three outstanding tracks in "Beautiful Girl," "Crackerbox Palace," and "This Song." The rest are varyingly mediocre.

Mind Games--John Lennon: The title track is one of the great songs. "Tight A$" is a fun, but quite pointless song. The rest is unremarkable.

Third Stage--Boston: The last of the 'true' Boston albums("Walk on," "Corporate America," and their most recent outing don't count IMO) succumbs to the excesses of the 80's music scene. "We're Ready" is about the only memorable song from this one.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

Eleanor Rigby is the 'weakest' song on Revolver? Wow. I regard the song as a work of art. Utterly timeless & moving in its depiction of loneliness & death.

I also don't consider Yellow Submarine to be a 'true' Beatles album because of the George Martin soundtrack instrumentals.

I take issue with your belief that OOTN doesn't have a bad track. In my view it has at least two (Visions & I Wish You Peace) & most of the rest is mediocre at best. Amazing how opinions vary.

These are just some of my all time favourite albums - I didn't include any of the Eagles albums as I love them all anyway....

In no particular order:
    Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still / End Of The Innocence
    Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns / Fallen Empires
    Athlete - Tourist
    Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid
    Newton Faulkner - Hand Built By Robots
    Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
    Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A
    David Grey - White Ladder
    Moby - Play
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Favorites:

Bad Company - Bad Company or Company of Strangers (the latter is definitely the best of the albums without Paul Rodgers.)
    Eagles- Hotel California
    Glenn Frey - Strange Weather
    Don Henley - Cass County
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Free-Heartbreaker or Tons of Sobs
    Def Leppard -Pyromania
    Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast, though Power slave is a close second
    Van Halen- Van Halen or 5150
    Styx- The Grand Illusion
    Lynyrd Skynyrd- Street Survivors
    Genesis - Genesis ( Selling England by the Pound for the Gabriel era)
    CSNY- Crosby Stills and Nash
    Stephen Stills- Stephen Stills
    Allman Brothers Vand- Allman Brothers Band
    AC/DC- Back in Black
    Black Sabbath- Paranoid or Mob Rules
    Led Zeppelin - II
    Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
    Bob Seger- Night Moves
    Elton John- Madman Across the Water
    Metallica- Ride the Lightning
    Rush- A Farewell to Kings or Permanent Waves
    Yes - Going for the One or The Yes Album
    Judas Priest- Screaming for Vengeance
    Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 07-16-2016 at 06:05 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Least favorite albums:

For most of the artists, I haven't heard all of their albums, so I'm only judging the ones I've heard.

Bad Company - Fame and Fortune (The first album without Paul Rodgers. Bad Co Mk. II hadn't found their sound yet.)
    Eagles- Eagles ( The non hit songs aren't that good.)
    Glenn Frey- After Hours (I do like the album, but the music isn't my type.)
    Don Henley - I Can't Stand Still ( I just like this one the least.)
    Fleetwood Mac-Time ( This would make my list of overall worst albums. It's horrible compared to all of their other albums.)
    Free Free (Same as Don's, it's the one I like the least. Plus, I dislike the album cover.)
    Def Leppard-X ( too poppy)
    Iron Maiden - The 2 albums with Blaze Bailey ( Paul Di'Anno and Bruce Dickinson are much better suited for this band.)
    Van Halen - Van Halen III( Gary Chorone & Van Halen=not a good combo)
    Styx- Kilroy Was Here ( Dennis Deyoung got his way too much album.)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd-Gimme Back My Bullets( it's just not as good as the other 70s albums )
    Genesis - Wind and Wuthering ( Meh, Phil sounds too much like Peter. It's not as strong of an album compared to their others.)
    CSNY-CSN( has the least number of sings I like.)
    Stephen Stills- Right by You (uninspired and Meh. His best songs went to CSN's Daylight Again album.)
    Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters(not quite as good as their first 3 studio albums)
    AC/DC- Black Ice ( It doesn't hold up at all compared to their 70s and 80s albums.)
    Black Sabbath-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath ( I just can't into this one.)
    Led Zeppelin-Coda( Zep without Bonzo? No, Thank you.)
    Pink Floyd- The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (It's good, but I prefer the albums with David Gilmour.)
    Bob Seger- Like a Rock (boring and bland)
    Elton John - The Diving Board (I love the first 4 songs, but the others I don't like much.)
    Metallica- Does Lulu count? ( That collaboration album is horrible.) If not, I'll go with the other universally loathed album, St. Anger.
    Rush- Signals (Subdivisions is my favorite Rush song, but the rest of the album isn't of the quality of Subdivisions.)
    Yes- any album without Jon Anderson. (He's Yes for me.) Of the albums with him, Relayer.
    Judas Priest- Turbo (Turbo Lover? )
    Tom Petty - Hard Promises ( I don't like Petty's early 80s work much.)
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 07-17-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time