Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Your Favorite MOMENTS In Songs??

One of my all time favorites is from my all time favorite Eagles song-the opening chords of Take It Easy. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. And now, it also makes me sad because I also now think of Glenn and that he's gone.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

The piano and drum-cymbal climax on the Eagles' "Hollywood Waltz" is sort of cathartic in its own way.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    One of my all time favorites is from my all time favorite Eagles song-the opening chords of Take It Easy. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. And now, it also makes me sad because I also now think of Glenn and that he's gone.
    Same here! From the first time I heard TIE I was immediately struck by the intro, and I've absolutely loved it ever since. It's one of those songs that I can pick multiple great moments from - the Winslow Arizona verse and the combination of the harmony vocals and banjo during the bridge near the end.

There have been a few additions to this thread that I wished I'd thought of myself, mostly by Eagles and Floyd. Hollywood Waltz is a song that I tend to forget how much I enjoy - I never really think about it as one of my favourites, but it's a good, solid addition to their discography and the climax is a highlight. That's kind of how I feel about the OOTN album as a whole, which I tend to think of last in my personal rankings yet when I think about it I really enjoy most of it. Another moment I love from that album is the bridge in Too Many Hands - I really dig Randy's bass playing that starts at 2:49 and ends at 3:07. It's a neat addition to the song and adds an extra dimension alongside the guitar parts.

Two other big favourite moments of mine are the guitar and bass parts in the mid-section of LITFL (from 2:29 to 2:46), and the acoustic guitar at the end of Bitter Creek when Bernie's solo starts to emerge at about 4:10 with those haunting vocals locked into the song's groove, absolutely love that part and I can and do listen to it over and over sometimes.

I am delighted to see the mentions for Pink Floyd's Dogs - the Animals album has so many great moments. One of my favourite moments from Dogs is the section starting at 4:46 where the acoustic guitar and dog barks come in. I find it difficult to describe but it's dark in a very powerful way. Although a bit too long to count as 'moments', I also love the mid-section of Pigs (Three Different Ones) with the talk-box solo between about 4-7 minutes in, and the beautiful yet lightly chilling piano intro to Sheep, especially once the bass starts rumbling in the background about 30 seconds in. It really creates a sense of there being 'a certain unease in the air'.

Quote Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
    This might not be what you had in mind, as it's a song and video moment, but I'll mention it anyway. I love the end of Take It To the Limit from the 1977 show at the Capital Centre. It's at about 4:15 in this version. Randy nails the high notes and the video cuts to Glenn who looks so proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hmF_IX9Ic
    Wow. That's exactly what I had in mind. The vocal was amazing, but the humanity with Glenn. Thank you so much. I remember it, I've seen that concert a few times, but you reminded me. Thanks again.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    - The intro of the Bee Gees' "Jive Talkin'." Rumored to have mimicked the sound of driving across a bridge, it moves the body to the rhythm.
    Yes, we're very proud of that song in Miami. The chucka-chucka sound made by their car's tires while driving over Sunny Isles Bridge to their home on Miami Beach caused Linda Gibb to remark to her husband Barry one day, "that's the drive talking." He immediately came up with the chorus to Jive Talkin'. Poor Linda didn't get a co-writing credit but that's the breaks

Even now, when I see that bridge I think of it as "the Jive Talkin' bridge." Unfortunately, they did a major overhaul/renovation of the bridge in about 2000 and it doesn't make the chucka-chucka sound anymore, it's very smooth.

My favorite moment in a song: "In the Evening" by Led Zeppelin - Jimmy's guitar solo. Sounds like he's literally pulling the strings off his guitar. Somehow, it's still musical and explosive.

I must say Jimmy's guitar solo in "Dazed and Confused" is massively exciting as well. Page knows how to build tension and set it off in spectacular fashion. He's the meistro, no two ways about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I am delighted to see the mentions for Pink Floyd's Dogs - the Animals album has so many great moments. One of my favourite moments from Dogs is the section starting at 4:46 where the acoustic guitar and dog barks come in. I find it difficult to describe but it's dark in a very powerful way. Although a bit too long to count as 'moments', I also love the mid-section of Pigs (Three Different Ones) with the talk-box solo between about 4-7 minutes in, and the beautiful yet lightly chilling piano intro to Sheep, especially once the bass starts rumbling in the background about 30 seconds in. It really creates a sense of there being 'a certain unease in the air'.
    Jonny is much too young to know about 8-tracks, but my older brothers had several Pink Floyd albums on 8-tracks, including Animals and Dark Side of the Moon. I used to listen to Animals over & over; Dogs was my favorite track because of Gilmour's brilliant guitar playing and singing. It's hard to pick one moment but his first solo about 2 minutes in - whew.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

One Led Zeppelin moment I love is Robert Plant's almost standalone vocal just after the four minute mark in Whole Lotta Love. I'll try and replicate his awesome performance in writing:

Way down inside, WO-MAN, you need it..,[guitar lick]...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE!

Another of my favourite Robert vocals is the call-and-answer section in the final minute of You Shook Me on the first album where he screams before and after each of Jimmy's guitar licks before his spectacular scream at the end. In the early Led Zep days, especially 1968-71 (basically the I-IV era) he had quite extraordinary pipes, no wonder he suffered a few problems with his voice as the 1970s progressed!

ETA: I've heard of 8-tracks, although I've never seen an 8-track cartridge and certainly never listened to any music in the format! But oddly enough I think it's only thanks to Animals that I know of them - the 8-track version of Animals was slightly different as it had the 'full' version of Pigs on the Wing with Snowy White's guitar solo, as opposed to the two halves of it that bookend the longer, darker tracks on the standard editions. I think the album works better with the song split in half, but the full version makes more sense as a standalone song.

LOL, your transcription is pretty good. That song scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid: the swirling vortex into Hell portion which you describe.

Jimmy's power chord crunch riff is irresistible though, it never gets old, it's always thrilling.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Zeppelin-wise, John Paul Jones' piano intro to "South-Bound Saurez" is so chillingly mind-altering in the best ways. Same goes for that pulsating synth at the intro and throughout "Carouselambra," easily the most under-rated of Zeppelin's long songs.

The way the lead guitar and the organ meld together on "Dancing Days" is also pretty sweet. Another amazing Zep moment is the guitar solos after the vocals at the end of "Over the Hills and Far Away."

On another note, Chris Wood's Saxophone solo in the final minute of Traffic's "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys" is probably one of the most incredible moments in all of music.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Besides Gilmour's great vocals (the chord Dm9 is also great, especially with the acoustic) in the song "Dogs" from 5:30 right before the vocals, the last few seconds of the guitar solo is too great... I'm still in awe many years later.. I also love how "You'll reap the harvest you have sown" is double-tracked vocally.