Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Songs that Make You Cry

Border Desperado

Default Re: Songs that make you lose it

Oops! My bad. Sorry about that. I would try to merge the threads, but I don't know how

No big deal. I'm sure a moderator can do it for us.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm quite pleased this topic has come up, because I definitely have a couple that I can add. Two in particular stand out - I absolutely love both of these songs, but they both well and truly make me lose it!

I'm glad High Hopes has already been mentioned, as I have to admit I am absolutely hopeless when listening to this song. I'm just about okay until it gets to the final chorus, but when it gets to the 'dawn mist glowing' line I totally lose it and feel all emotional throughout David's wonderful slide solo that follows. I'm not quite sure why this is, but I think it's because it was Pink Floyd's final act as a band (I still think it is, as I feel The Endless River is an epilogue, rather than a true new chapter in the Pink Floyd story), and therefore when I hear the final lines and the solo I always think about all the brilliant music that came before it, especially as 'the endless river, forever and ever' lines recall the carefree innocence of the Syd Barrett-era single See Emily Play.

The one that really gets me is Fleetwood Mac's Silver Springs. It's the end that does it to me. Hearing Stevie sing 'I'll follow you down til the sound of my voice will haunt you' and 'You will never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you' basically reduces me to a weepy little sap every time. I really can't explain this one except for saying that hearing that voice singing those words overwhelms me.

There are a lot of other songs that really do move me a lot, if I have a bit of time I'll try to make a decent list, but I have to be especially careful about listening to the two above songs over all others in anything other than my own company - I have listened to them both on train journeys, but I usually only do it if I'm not sitting next to someone, just in case I can't control myself.

My two are Harry Chapin singing Cat's in the Cradle and Sarah McLachlan's Angel. They get me every time.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Songs that Make You Cry

I went ahead and merged the two threads.

Just a few songs that make me tear up are Because You Loved Me and My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion and Elton John's version of Candle in the Wind that he rewrote for Princess Diana's funeral.

And most recently, Part of Me, Part of You and It's Your World Now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

Sometimes even Peaceful Easy Feeling will get to me now.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

As I replied on page 4 back in 2010, there is really no song by itself that makes me cry. It's usually a song at an event (I've teared up during The Star Spangled Banner at sporting events) or in a movie (Have a Little Faith in Me during the dying scene in Phenomenon gets me every time).
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

JCL, I adore Silver Springs.

I thought in January I was going to cry at some of the songs I put in my In Memoriam playlist. I didn't.

However there is a song by Tony Banks called I'll Be Waiting which I used in my signature last week.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KndqlzozMM4[/ame]

I suppose Fading Lights & Since I Lost You by Genesis would qualify.

I cannot listen to "What Do I Do with My Heart" anymore! I just can't. The song reduces me to a sobbing hot mess, and I'm totally helpless to do anything about it. It's like a stab right through the heart - a reminder of what I felt like the minute I found out about Glenn.

Add to that, the line that Don sings, "I'll love you 'til death do us part," drops me to my freakin' knees. It sounds like he's singing it personally about losing Glenn!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

A lot that have been mentioned I totally tear up listening to too. Vince Gill's "Go Rest High" has even more meaning for me since my Grandpa passed away last year. He requested that play as the final song at his memorial service as he loved that song. We all were crying during it but sang along, and then right after it ended a train whistle blew, which my Grandpa loved trains, so we all knew that was a sign from him. Another that now reminds me of my Grandpa (and my other Grandpa who's still here) and makes me tear up is The Judds' "Grandpa".

James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" gets me too as I'm just reminded of one of best friends that died five years ago in a car accident. Paul McCartney's "Here Today" does too for the same reason.

Others I cry hearing are Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" and a newer country song "You Should be Here" by Cole Swindell, since he wrote it about his dad dying recently. And now "Desperado" too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."