Thread: The Eagles sound

Stuck on the Border

Default The Eagles sound

Just wondering what identifies something as an Eagles song to you? With seven singers, five guitarists (including Steuart Smith), two basists, many songwriters, how do we recognise a song as being the Eagles?

Earlier, I was playing samples of one of JD Souther's albums and one track screamed "Eagles!" to me so much so that I wondered why it hadn't made it on to one of their albums. Turns out it's a Frey-Souther co-write and I see that Glenn and Don Henley and Don Felder all played or sang on the album so I'm not imagining it.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bars-Burn-Down-Album-Version/dp/B001GVUUMA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397221434&sr=8-5&keywords=til+the+bars+burn+down]'Til the Bars Burn Down[/ame]

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: The Eagles sound

UtW, I agree! Definitely sounds like an Eagles song to me too!

What defines an Eagles song? I can't explain it, but I know something does. Other artists have it too. They all have their own sound that makes them recognizable.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Just gave that song another listen and you're right!!! It would've made a good fit on The Long Run. Glenn on lead vocals and rhythm guitar. Joe and Felder on lead guitars and back up vocals. Henley harmonizing with Glenn. And Timothy on bass of course and backup vocals. It definitely has a "Heartache Tonight" vibe, but it would've fit after "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree that song does sound rather 'Eagley', maybe because Glenn's voice is very prominent in the chorus. But, like others, I'm not sure how to define 'Eagley'. I guess it's the old 'sum is greater than the parts' thing - it's the combination of the lyrics, vocals, harmonies, instrumentation, and arrangement of the songs. I don't know if that's it or not, but, I know one thing for sure - my ears love 'Eagley'!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I used to listen to this JD song a lot when I was young. It has been recorded somewhere else too. I'll have to investigate. It's definately a Frey/Souther tune.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I down loaded it ,I agree
    The guys have sung on so many songs as well as played for other artists
    I have been building play lists lol