Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Default Re: Celebration of "Desperado"

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I love how wild and high-spirited "Out of Control" is. I understand why they don't do it anymore, but I sure wish I could have heard it live just once. Thank goodness for the old videos!
    I agree.... The first album didn't have any uptempo "shuffle" ie Chuck Berry type songs on it. Witchy Woman is more rockier than the others on Eagles LP but more RnB IMO than rocker.

Of course On The Border brought two uptempo shuffle type songs in Already Gone and James Dean. In fact they didn't do much of that kind of song from OTB until Get Over It for HFO. OOTN and HC and TLR didn't really have any uptempo shuffles.

I'm a sucker for uptempo Chuck Berry type shuffle songs as I can have fun and go crazy with improv for the solos...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Bernie Leadon on Desperado:
    Reading reviews and charts, I still can’t understand why “Desperado” received so lukewarm recognition from fans and press when it released. Do you have an explanation? “Desperado” was the second album by the Eagles. We had three hit single records off of the first album, titled «Eagles». Everyone in the industry, including the press, expected that we would follow the first album with more songs that could be hits. But I give a lot of credit to Glenn Frey (Eagles singer and vocalist) who insisted that we got commercial success with the 3 hits on the first albums, but we should immediately do an artsy album, and try to get critical success also as soon as possible. He felt that would help give the band enough weight to last for a while. The band has lasted for awhile, so maybe that was the right move.
    But we did not have immediate top ten hits from the “Desperado” album. Some songs have become classics, including the song “Desperado”, which I love. That was Don Henley’s (Eagles drummer and vocalist) first song, by the way. I think Frey is credited also, but it is mainly Don’s song, and it is a great song.
    http://www.hit-channel.com/bernie-le...therssolo/1465

This album is not my favorite but I agree with Bernie that the highlight is the song Desperado. Don's vocal is so amazing ~ to this day he sings it so beautifully. The perfect show closer.
    ~Sara

Out on the Border Restless Heart's Avatar

I love the way the board is decorated for Desperado. It really looks good.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This was a quote from an interview posted in another thread. Being that it is the anniversary week for Desperado, I thought it was very appropriate to post it in this thread. It's one of the best descriptions I've ever heard to explain the attitudes towards country rock in the 70's.

In June 1972 the rock media viewed the “country rock” hybrid as an orphan, while Nashville’s all-powerful Music Row mafia rejected the bastard spawn as patently illegitimate.
    Fortunately, it is primarily the appeal and success of the Eagles that helped change these attitudes. And now, the country music that we listen to today is pretty much what the Eagles were doing over 40 years ago.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Restless Heart View Post
    I love the way the board is decorated for Desperado. It really looks good.

Yes, I meant to comment on it. Was it you Soda who designed the board? If so, well done. the little touches like the revolvers etc. beside each thread are cool.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love it too. Miss Soda is a very talented lady and I love each 'style' that she did. Thanks for all of them Soda!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Yes, I designed it. Glad you like it! And thanks, Brooke!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

The story behind Desperado
    In case nobody saw my post on the HOTE thread, I'm a huge fan of the Old West so thought I'd share, for those who aren't aware of them, all the backstories behind Desperado and where the guys' songs tie into it all etc. Enjoy!

The most prominent gang in the album were the Daltons. There were three of them involved in dodgy dealings - Grat, Bob and Emmett. They followed their older brother Frank's example and became lawmen, mainly for the money to be made in bribes and thefts they could cover up, but eventually they were found out and struck off. Bill and Grat headed west to California to meet with brother Bill (who never rode with them, only with the Doolin Gang) and got caught up in several horse thefts that may or may not have been anything to do with them - they quickly headed back to their origins around Missouri and Kansas, where along with the likes of Blackface Bryant and Bitter Creek Newcomb they formed the Dalton Gang, led by Bob, and moved into darker crimes.

Train robberies at Wharton, Red Rock and Adair between 1890 and 1892 went swimmingly, but Bob was desperate to elevate them to the heights of the James Gang (the one with Frank and Jesse, not Joe ) and Younger Brothers. As such he set his sights upon the south Kansas town of Coffeyville.

On 5 October 1892, the three Daltons, Bill Doolin (who turned away owing to a lame horse, perhaps genuine, perhaps an excuse to avoid involvement), Bill Powers and Dick Broadwell set upon the town to do something no-one else has ever done before (or as far as I know since) - rob two banks simultaneously. The start was not wonderful however - they were recognised and word spread. Bob and Emmett took on the First National and obtained $21,000 ($536,000 today). Over in the Condon however, Grat was fooled into thinking the vault was not able to be opened until 0930 (it was 0940 in reality, and he was told 0930).

Meanwhile the citizens had armed themselves and opened fire on the First National; Bob and Emmett running quite literally for their lives and taking anyone else's who stood before them: four died on their long trek back to their horses' hitching point. As such a point was next to the Condon, the other three didn't have as far to run, but were ravaged much more savagely by bullets - Powers was fatally caught as he saddled up, Broadwell made it to the outskirts of town before he succumbed to his injuries. As the three brothers saddled up, Grat was shot fatally through his throat, Bob was gunned down and in a desperate attempt to rescue his sibling, Emmett was shot, but miraculously survived. The now famous picture which inspired Frey and co.'s on the rear cover was taken a day later after Powell was found.

Emmett, aged 21, lived until 1937, and following a jail term moved in California, as a builder, author and movie consultant.

The Doolin Bunch arose after that fateful day in Kansas, containing amongst others Bill Doolin, Bill Dalton and Bitter Creek. Their downfall came following a shootout with US Marshals in Ingalls, OK, in 1893. Though none of the three died, many of their running mates did, and the group as good as dispersed forever. Both Bills were later killed by posses after years of manhunting, and Bitter Creek Newcomb was shot down by Rose of Cimarron's brothers in 1895.

-----------------------------------------------------

And now onto the Eagles!

Doolin-Dalton tells the story very broadly of the Dalton Gang - 'Go down Bill Dalton...' to me warns Bill to stay well away from his brothers' activities, and 'Two brothers lying dead in Coffeyville' was why. 'Lay down your law books now they're no damn good' - Bill was aiming to be a politician in CA when Bob and Grat moved over to lie low for a while - the horse thefts that got tied to them ended his hopes and he later moved into outlaw bahviour with Doolin. 'Keep moving ... 'til your shadows set you free' was probably an allusion to their move back east and how they stayed well off the beaten track before the robbery. 'never, see that hanging tree' - the longer they kept it up the less likely they'd be to be found and almost certainly executed for their crimes. 'And a man ... but some just went stir crazy, Lord, 'cause nothin' ever changed' - exactly how the robbery panned out, especially when Grat was fooled so easily. ''Til Bill Doolin met Bill Dalton ... and so he left that peaceful life behind' - the move Dalton made from wannabe politician to outlaw when he met Doolin.

I'll do the rest later!

Thank you, tlr. That was very interesting.