Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Default Re: Souther's back!!

I also got an email about this today from Amazon. I had a listen and I liked it. Too bad he's not touring in my area

Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona aka Texas

So he will be in Austin on 12/5? is that correct? at the cactus cafe.

If so.. Im going!

Icon and banner by me.

Speaking of Souther, just found this on YouTube:

JD Souther does Doolin-Dalton

Some different lyrical choices. It's interesting.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default A note from J.D. Souther

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.
    Hey everyone,

Great first week thanks to the superb team here and especially to you; all of you. CD's are selling out, we're adding shows, and the two disc vinyl edition (due for the Holidays here) looks great and sounds fat and real...you know; like vinyl.

Here's the first really gone piece of response to the new work. Rich Dutch chocolate art. It used to be panties and poems. On occasion, both. Oh, well. Time passes. Things change. Anyway I love it and thanks go to Marjan Klink in The Netherlands and to her friends who came with her to the show in London last year. We'll see you all soon. It takes time to get around the world but that's where we're going.

I may throw down a little poetry from time to time as it's a more natural and less stilted form of expression for me.

Obviously I couldn't do it without you,
    JD

MikeA

How nice! I really should get that album!

Default Re: JD Souther

There is probably another JD Souther thread somewhere with tour dates, but I couldn't find it right off the bat:

Sat 11/22/08 Omaha, NE

MikeA

Reviews of J. D. Souther's new album and tour continue to be peppered with references to his deep connection to the Eagles. This one is out of a Philadelphia paper. J.D. calls one song on the new album "Henley's favorite"--now I definitely want to hear that one.

J. D. Souther performs solo at Tin Angel on Sunday with a new album full of gems like the heartstruck, "I'll Be Here at Closing Time," the dripping-in-sarcasm "A Chorus of Your Own," exotic "Journey Down the Nile" and evocative "House of Pride." It's all reminiscent of stuff he recorded on his own or gave to his friends Don Henley and Glenn Frey to sing in the Eagles.

Truth is, Souther's been surviving quite comfortably, thanks, on the royalties for hits like "New Kid in Town," "Best of My Love," "Heartache Tonight" and "Victim of Love" - work that's all over the Eagles' 16-million-selling "Hotel California" and 40-million-sold greatest hits albums.
    A heck of an annuity. The guy's also done well with covers recorded by everyone from one-time flame Linda Ronstadt to Roy Orbison (a big influence), Brian Wilson, Jimmy Buffett, Joe Cocker, George Strait, Joe Walsh, India.Arie, Brooks & Dunn, Warren Zevon, James Taylor . . . Yeah, the list just goes on and on. We caught up yesterday in a phone chat.

Q: Do you remember that we met once, eons ago, in the basement of the Main Point? I was a fledgling reporter. We were supposed to be doing an interview. But Ronstadt - then quite a hottie - was sitting next to you, casually scratching your chest with her long finger nails and staring at me with those big doe eyes as we tried to talk. I don't think either of us could concentrate.
    A:
    (Laughing) I'm sure that was so. Boy, did I love the Point. A beautiful place in every way. I felt so at home there that I even looked into buying a house that was for sale in the neighborhood. I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't know anybody but the waitresses.

Q: I know you kind of gave up music for a spell for acting in movies like "Postcards From the Edge" and on TV shows like "thirtysomething." What finally got you back into writing?
    A:
    I was in Cuba in 1998 with a bunch of songwriters under the aegis of Music Bridges. We were there to write with Cuban songwriters. I was sitting on the lawn at the Nacional Hotel and I started to write "Rain" [one of the songs on the new album]. That and a couple I'd previously started, like "Journey Down the Nile," now Henley's favorite, became the start of this project.

Q: I was struck by the jazzy, brassy orientation of the arrangements. Have you done stuff like that before?
    A:
    There were some notable jazz players, like Stanley Clarke, on the "Black Rose" album in '76. But back then I was thinking guitars first, not horns. Truth is, this is a continuation of a whole life of music. I started playing violin at 10, then clarinet and saxophone and drums. I was a jazz drummer until I was 22. I never held a guitar until then. But guys like me and Henley - Texas transplants living in L.A. - were infatuated with the combination of country and rock-and-roll being done by bands like the Burrito Brothers, Dillard & Clark and Poco. So I started playing and writing on guitar. It was a lot easier than writing songs from a drum kit.

Q: Weren't you in the Eagles for about five minutes - at the very beginning, when they were Linda Ronstadt's backup band? A: True. Working in a group is not what I was best at. The day I decided I wasn't going to be in the Eagles, I don't know who was more relieved, them or me. I still prefer to make my own music, though I have to tell you, this new effort was such a cooperative venture, with these amazing players, and equal parts of structure and freedom. That's how the best music is made. You can't have one without the other.

Another brief interview with JD Souther:

"Five Questions with JD Souther"

Can't believe I'm seeing him in just a few days!

Thanks for posting that, Soda. I'm very envious, especially as it's such an intimate venue. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic evening. We expect a full report!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Seeing JD Souther two days after the Eagles was a huge contrast - huge production and huge audiences to a one-man show in an intimate venue. Both shows were great!

It was an intimate venue indeed - basically, the back room of a small Irish pub. I'm not sure what the capacity was, but unfortunately, very few people were there. The set up was several small tables around a balcony, some tables and booths on the floor, and about ten rows of folding chairs, ten across. I would estimate it was about a third full. JD asked if it was the cold keeping everyone away - and it was DANG cold. It even got down to 14 degrees with wind chill before the night was through!

When my friend and I got there, the front row only had three people in it, and none of them were in the center (a lot of them were at tables eating)! We plopped down right there, of course! We noted with surprise that we were the only ones there under 40. Odd to feel young at my age.

Still, JD enjoyed himself and said we were a great crowd - he called us the "elite group." lol His show was VERY laid back and casual. He played songs as they occurred to him, saying that he couldn't really remember the set list order. He also forgot the words to one of his newer songs, and asked for someone to bring the lyrics sheet up (I did wonder if that was a ploy to draw attention to his new album, though!)

He had no backing band - just three guitars and a piano. He tuned the guitars himself sometimes before - and in one case DURING a song (not missing a beat while doing it; just kept on trucking). His voice is amazing - just like on the records. He said he prided himself on not having to lower keys like a lot of his colleagues.

The Eagles came up in the context of "How Long," "New Kid in Town," and "Best of My Love," all of which he played. He also played an impromptu segment of "Doolin-Dalton," but not the whole song after teasing us to guess the Eagles song he was going to play next and taking everyone off-guard with the rarity! Regarding "How Long," he said that when Irving Azoff called to tell him that the Eagles were covering it, he replied, "Well, I guess I'll add it back to my setlist then." After "New Kid in Town," he said, "It took a long time to write that song. When we started it, we were writing about ourselves. By the time we finished it, we were writing about our replacements."

He did play "Last in Love," to my delight, saying that he was a romantic as well as a political type - that most of his songs were either about sex or death, lol.

Another rarity was that he did Talking to the Moon! He just sat down at the piano and played it - a stripped down, gorgeous version.

He did several songs from his new album, which fit seamlessly into his set as they have that same kind of classic Souther sound. Also, he started one of them - "Journey Down the Nile" - while in the Hillman, Souther, Furay band in 1973, but "they weren't ready for it." I liked it. I wound up buying his new CD, which he signed for me.

He also mentioned Jackson Browne while tuning, Waddy Wachtel and Jorge Calderon before "You're Only Lonely," and several other folks from around that time.

When he was tuning and apologized for boring us while he did so, someone yelled out "You can tell us a story about the Eagles while you do it!" He just shook his head and said "You can read about that anyplace." Someone yelled out "How about Warren Zevon?" And he said "I miss him," then told a story about how he did a great version of "Simple Man, Simple Dream."

The only sour moment for me was when he started rhapsodizing about Castro. Apparently he started several of the new songs while visiting Cuba with other songwriters such as Bert Bacharach and Bonnie Raitt. Even Woody Harrelson came (did you know that he was a songwriter too?) His words were, "Yeah, he probably did what they say he did - jailed and executed dissenters - but I guess that's what you have to do if you want to stay in power for 50 years." He continued, "He was really charming to us, gave us cigars, took us to a baseball game. We had a great time... he stood a head taller than everyone else, a very distinctive presence..." I was thinking, "How can you, as someone who has sung songs about social protest, be so blithe about protester's deaths, so enamored of their prosecuter?" Luckily he got off of that after about five minutes.

On the positive side, he congratulated Illinois on the election of Barack Obama and also complimented McCain's concession speech. He added that just because the Democrats were in charge now didn't mean we could all relax and assume everything would be fine - they still need to be pushed. He urged us to write our congresspeople when we were unhappy so they knew that if they didn't shape up, they wouldn't be able to "go back to Washington and get expensive haircuts and fancy dinners."

He's quite a talker; very conversational. That's cool though; I like it when they do more than sing and leave. He also had some "audience participation" - he encouraged us to sing "oooh, sweet darlin', you get the best of my love" while he sang over it, harmonizing and improving. Nice!

The songs he performed (out of order - may have forgotten some):
    Jesus in 3/4 Time
    How Long
    Faithless Love
    Simple Man, Simple Dream
    Silver Blue
    Lullaby
    Little Victories
    You're Only Lonely
    If You Don't Want My Love
    The Last in Love
    White Rhythm and Blues
    Trouble in Paradise
    I'll Take Care of You
    All I Want
    I'll Be Here at Closing Time
    Journey Down the Nile
    In My Arms Tonight
    Rain
    A Chorus of Your Own
    The Border Guard
    The Secret Handshake of Fate
    New Kid in Town
    Best of My Love
    Talking to the Moon
    Doolin-Dalton (snippet)

As you can see, the show was quite long, and it didn't start until 9:30 (he had an opening act, April Smith, who was quite good). We left there at 12:00, which was brutal for me because I had three hours to drive and a time change to deal with as well. I wound up pulling into a gas station after two hours and sleeping for a half hour because I was so tired. Then, back to work at 9:30!

So, as you guys know, I was really hoping to get my Longbranch Pennywhistle album signed. Well, it happened! He was signing stuff afterwards and I handed it to him. He did a double take when he saw Glenn's signature and paused. "Well, I'll guess I'll sign it by me" (Glenn had signed by his picture on the album). His handwriting is little more than a scrawl, but I think he wrote "Best Wishes, JD Souther." lol He signed his new CD for me, too, and personalized it "To Nancy." I love that!

I also handed him a copy of the How Long video that I uploaded to YouTube - the one that Glenn's kids saw. He was delighted by that because he said he'd never seen it! We chatted a bit about Glenn and Taylor as well because apparently she is doing some kind of school project that involved JD or during which she hung out with JD (I was kind of unclear about that but didn't want to be nosy). I was just thrilled and left very happy! My friend who came with me took a photo of JD and me with her cell phone, and if it comes out I'll post it.

Well worth that excruciating drive!

JD says he'll be back in the summer with a full band. I'll be there!