Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the Eagles DVD - confused!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default History of the Eagles DVD - confused!

Like many people on here, I absolutely love the History of the Eagles documentary. Whenever I come across it on TV I always start watching it and so does my Dad! My sister has also expressed interest in seeing it. I'd really like to get it on DVD, probably for Christmas, and if at all possible I'd like to get the 3 disc edition with the Washington 1977 show. However, I've had a search for it on Amazon and am somewhat confused by the different editions of the DVD that are coming up in a quick search.

So you can see where I'm coming from, here's what I get if I search for 'History of the Eagles' on Amazon in the DVD and Blu-ray department (unfortunately I've no idea whether this link will work for people outside the UK).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...d=D7H6YIL3N3MV

The main two things that I'm surprised by:
    - The 3 disc edition seems massively more expensive than the 2 disc version; new copies of the former seem to be going for about £69, compared to £16 for the latter.
    - The 2 disc edition seems to have an '18' certificate, whereas the 3 disc one is only a '15' - does this suggest that the 3 disc version has edited some parts?

Therefore I really wanted to ask if anyone on here knows why these seem so different? I'm guessing most people here have the 3 disc version and I had expected simply that the 3 disc edition would be a bit more expensive and have the extra disc, but it seems more complex than that.

Sorry if this isn't more helpful, I'm just a bit befuddled!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: History of the Eagles DVD - confused!

Bloody hell, that is confusing. To add to the mayhem, the Blu-Ray version says it's 1 disc. WTH?

The deluxe version seems entirely too expensive. Have you tried Ebay?

Check it out: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/History-of...WYbmCfsf2u7nUg

Stuck on the Border

I bought the UK 3 disk version from Amazon UK soon after it was released for about £25. The 2-disk version only cost about £10 at the time. I haven't noticed any editing.

The 3-disc copies offered through Amazon mostly seem to be imports from Japan. I suspect the UK version is now the DVD version of "Out of Print".

Although this one ships from the US, it claims to be region 2 (UK is region 2, US is region 1)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/History-of...-/381596484249

If you have a multi-region DVD player, you could just buy from the US.

I don't know about any edited versions of the official release, but aren't there some bootleg copies with some slight variations that exist? I ask b/c I'm sure I've seen the HC performance on YT that shows a couple of scenes of Randy I have not seen on the commercial version. Nothing major, just a couple of camera shots. I can imagine there are sellers trying to peddle this on the web somewhere.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I bought the USA 3 disc blu ray but it doesn't play on my UK blu ray player so I bought the UK 1 disc blu ray version but there is no concert included.
    Had to watch the 'bonus' concert via YouTube

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Oh that sucks, Philh! I'm a bit of an Anglophile and found some simple work-arounds (simply enter a numerical code) you can do on some DVD players to make them play formats from all regions. It worked great for awhile, about a year or two, I could watch obscure Alan Bates films and episodes of Top Gear to my heart's content. Then one day, the DVD player shorted out and was ruined.
    I'm afraid to try it again. I have a DVD of "The Caretaker" that I've never seen, and it's said to be Eric Clapton's favorite film. But I digress...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Bummer, Philh! At least you tube was available for you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I looked for multi-region blu-ray players and came up with nothing. You can get multi-region DVD players and blu-ray players which are multi-region for DVDs. It seems the blu-ray encoding must be harder to hack. (For a multi-region DVD player, just search on amazon or similar - prices start at around £20).

One option is if you have an old computer with a DVD player you can re-set the region up to 5 times. So keep one computer for watching DVDs from another region. I don't know if this works for Blu-ray players on computers.

I purchased mine on Amazon. 3 Disc Set worth it, for the concert footage. Only thing I wish they had played the entire concert. I'd try Amazon. Good Luck.......I just re watched it last night on NetFlix.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I bought the de Lux edition off the official website when it was released. It was a large leather type box with a lot of other memorabilia in it as well. Sadly the DVDs did not play on my Region 2 DVD player either!! But I kept them as part of the presentation box anyway. I bought the 3-disc box set as soon as it was released here - Think it cost about 25 Euros at the time. Not hectically expensive.
    Then the weekend after Glenn passed away one of my local radio station did a weekend dedicated to him and the Eagles with prizes every hour and I won a copy of the 2-disc version in their phone in!!

I don't think theres anything in any version it that would certify it as 18s. My 13 year old (at the time) was able to watch it no problem
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP