View Poll Results: LROOE - which disc do you prefer?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disc One

6 46.15%
  • Disc Two

7 53.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LROOE - which disc do you prefer?

Default Re: LROOE - which disc do you prefer?

Disc one by quite a bit...

I've never been a fan of this record and the 3 songs I liked off it are all on disc one.

How Long - the classic country twang sound with an upbeat tempo

Busy Being Fabulous - a more contemporary modern country song

Guilty Of The Crime - a fun Walsh tune

TBH, the only two I listen to nowadays are How Long and BBF. I feel those are the best songs on the album and I personally don't care for the songs that I feel have too much of that Henley "Dirty Laundry" vibe where he's complaining about something or they just seem to be to far removed to what I like or expect from the Eagles. LROOE to me was a record that had mostly songs with strong heavy lyrical content that was serious and had a message and TBH, that's the last thing I look for in a song. I like fun, light rockers or at the very least informal party songs that aren't so deep and serious. I look to music for fun and something to make me laugh or smile or relate to. And for me, I live out a different life through. And songs like Fast Company and the like ain't it, just to be honest.

That said, I'm warming up to "Somebody" after FP talked about it recently in another thread. For me it was a lost diamond in the rough that is a lot of Henley talking about subjects I have no interest in and suck the fun right out of you. Which is probably why I'm not a lyrics guy and am a instrument/music guy. I like fun and light songs, or if they are going to have deep lyrics, have them be interesting enough to both catch my attention and not put me off and give me a reward for listening with some good guitar based stuff. Hotel California being a great example. It's not a fun rocker about partyin', but there was something there to keep me interested and WAIT for that solo. I think HC is the exception more than the rule in my case. Generally, I'm more of an Already Gone-type song guy.

Stuck on the Border

I'm finding it hard to choose between the two. I like songs on both but there are few that stand out as favourites. Maybe "What Do I Do With My Heart" and "Somebody", so that's one each. My disc 2 has "Hole in the World" so that gives it a slight boost and I prefer "Last Good Night in Town" to "Guilty of the Crime".

Like Austin, I don't look to music for social and political messages and the Henley songs that are more about the lyrics than the music don't do a lot for me. That's said, I like the title song but disc 2 also has the scolding "Frail Grasp on the Big Picture".

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Sorry, meant to get back to this earlier. I submitted my original post in a bit of a hurry due to a sudden change of plan for that day and intended to revisit this.

I think some very interesting points about the two discs have been raised so far. In my first post I said that although I considered disc two to be my favourite, two of my top three songs are on disc one, which could seem a bit contradictory, so I thought it would be a good idea to look a bit deeper into the album. If I was to name my top ten songs from the album I think I'd go for:

How Long
    Busy Being Fabulous
    Waiting In The Weeds
    Do Something
    You Are Not Alone
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    Somebody
    Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
    Last Good Time In Town
    Business As Usual

So, five songs from each CD... once again, this doesn't seem very conclusive! However, given that there are eleven songs on disc one, whereas only two, I think this provides some justification. I think it may come down to the weaker songs on each disc - I like all of the songs on disc two (if I had to pick a 'weakest' it would be ILTWAWD, mainly because I don't think it's very 'Eagles'-ish, as a song it's fine), whereas on disc one I'm not a great fan of Fast Company and although I really like the harmonies No More Walks is a bit awkward melodically.

I personally love Don's social commentary songs, for their lyrics and their music, although I can understand why Austin and UtW feel the way they do. I think the title track is absolutely brilliant, one of the best songs they've ever done. Frail Grasp just really appeals to me. I think I'm on the same page as Don sense of humour-wise (rather dark and twisted!), so that probably helps! Business As Usual has is probably the track that has grown on me most. Again I love the lyrics, but I also dig the riff (especially on the intro) and the guitar solo. I say this not to be 'contrary' or anything like that, but I think these songs are a big part of why disc two is my favourite.