Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Giving opinions is fine. However, some of the posts I read do sound to me a little bit more like moral judgements than personal opinions. In some cases, rather absolute moral judgements.
    I don't think it is a 'moral judgment' to say that I would object to Henley, Walsh, Schmit & perhaps Leadon touring & calling themsleves 'Eagles'. I say that there is no 'Eagles' without Glenn Frey. If not even statements like this can be made on this board any more, I begin to despair.

Of course I can't tell them what they can & can't do. But until today I at least was able to express my thoughts.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Of course I can't tell them what they can & can't do. But until today I at least was able to express my thoughts.
    Watch out, today you're not even aloud to think those thoughts!

This is a discussion board. What's the point of having a board where everyone has to be "nice" all the time - except, of course, when they're criticising others for not being nice enough?

For the record, I wasn't hurt by Funk50's post. I just assumed he was trying to stir things up because he thought it was a bit quiet. I also don't object to people stating their opinions strongly or bluntly. Myself, I just hate it when someone takes something I've written and misrepresents it.

I suggest that everyone rereads: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=450 . If you think someone's post breaches these guidelines, report to a moderator and ask them to investigate. If you don't trust the moderators, take it up with the owner of the board. It's her hard work (and money) that keeps this going.

Can we get back to discussing the band?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't think it is a 'moral judgment' to say that I would object to Henley, Walsh, Schmit & perhaps Leadon touring & calling themsleves 'Eagles'. I say that there is no 'Eagles' without Glenn Frey. If not even statements like this can be made on this board any more, I begin to despair.

Remember that in reading forum posts we are interpreting written words, which don't include nuances of tone. Some of what I read goes beyond personal opinions and thoughts, and looks to be clear statements on what is objectively right and wrong.

And I think it's important to remember that there is an awful lot we don't know. All it would take is for Glenn and Don H to have had a discussion about what they would want for the future should one of them pass, and then the entire 'properness' (for want of a better word) of any eventuality can flip from one extreme to another. The guys in the band know Glenn and his family's wishes much better than we do.

You can say that you would morally object should the band tour again. To which my response (as a Devil's Advocate as I don't believe the band will tour again) would be that how can you know that Glenn wouldn't have approved? E.g. if he had known that he was dying and had the chance to talk about the topic.

I have no objections to people expressing and discussing personal opinions. But, I think that in some cases people need to be clearer that what they are saying is a personal opinion, not a claim to objective morality. Note: Just speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to stop people expressing their thoughts on this forum or anywhere. But, I also have the right to respond to people's posts.

I think that suggesting that we're not allowing people to express their thoughts is a misinterpretation of what I'm saying (assuming that it's me that's being responded to here.) I'm just expressing my own thoughts about how we can't really be sure what is wrong or right in this situation. We don't, and I suspect can't ever, know what is right or wrong as Glenn is able to speak for himself.

You can say that without Glenn Frey that there is no Eagles. To which I would respond that without Glenn Frey things could never be the same. However, if Don H (and it's just my opinion that it's solely up to him) decided differently, I would not feel that I had grounds to object.

If things went my way, I would be happiest with a Henley/Walsh/Schmit/Leadon album and/or tour credited to that name or a new band name. However, I don't feel that as some random person around the world that I would have any basis for criticising them if they did the same but credited it to Eagles. Note: No Randy as I don't feel he's well enough. Again, this is just my guess from what I know, which could be wrong.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 10-21-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for clarifying, but as a fan of Frey since 1979 & as a fan of the Eagles since 1976 I do believe I have a right to object to any combination of the suriviving members calling themselves 'Eagles'. The heart of the band is gone. Regardless of the others' talents, in my opinion anything else would be a shell of what the band used to be. I suppose my use of the word 'wrong' implied that I was indeed sitting in judgment. I'm not. If they do this let them. But I don't have to approve of it.

Glenn was the frontman, sang half the songs & was the bandleader. He also was a major part of the harmonies they were so well known for. Take that away & you have what Henley once called 'his backing band'. You want to go & see Henley, Walsh, Schmit & Smith & Crago with that huge gap in the middle? Fine. If you think that's 'Eagles' your definition is more flexible than mine.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm 100% with FP on this one. Glenn was the cornerstone of the Eagles. Without him they are no more IMHO. I do not think they can just rebrand like that and replace him, even with Deacon. What would they want to prove anyway?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I, too, agree, FP.

And UTW, you must have been reading my mind. I was also going to link to our Netiquette Guidelines. I think they are right on about what our members should expect from other board members.

I don't think we should be in the business of censuring opinions on the board. But, as outlined in the guidelines, the key to offering opinions is to be respectful of other members and the band, and base it on known facts instead of insults, name-calling, or character assassination. And, of course, if you want to offer opinions, you should be prepared that others may disagree and challenge you. Also, keep in mind that if have a minority viewpoint, try not to take it personally. It doesn't mean everyone is ganging up on you just because they happen to disagree with you.

I think that, overall, we have a great community where most of our members are very respectful of one another. Hopefully, this will continue to be the case.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I'm 100% with FP on this one. Glenn was the cornerstone of the Eagles. Without him they are no more IMHO. I do not think they can just rebrand like that and replace him, even with Deacon. What would they want to prove anyway?
    We may decide that Eagles are no more (which I think Don H has decided.) However, that is their decision, not ours. They wouldn't have to want to prove anything. They might just want to continue on with the band that they have devoted a large part of their lives to. This has happened with other bands who have lost very important members. The Guess Who, Genesis, Manic Street Preachers, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, and I'm sure many others. I'm not saying that it would be the right thing or the wrong thing for Eagles to continue. I'm just saying that it's fully their decision. And I personally think the right thing for them to do or not do is what they want to do or not do, not what others think they should do.

If Eagles continued on, then they wouldn't have to be the same band, nor would they have to 'replace him'. As has happened with other bands, and Eagles themselves, they could continue on with just the current members. Or they could include other members such as Bernie, Randy if well enough, or anyone else they choose.

Early on in the Eagles' history, Glenn was the clear leader and sang half the songs. But, their roles changed over the years, and Don H emerged from being compositionally and vocally a minor member to become their main lead vocalist and an equal compositional partner to Glenn during their peak period. If we look at their last album, Don H and Glenn were very even in terms of their vocal contribution. Glenn may have been the lynchpin originally, but within a few years Don H matched him in terms of composition and eclipsed him in terms of lead vocals. Joe and Tim had lesser contributions, but a future album with Don H/Tim/Joe/Others (however attributed), if they decided to do that, could have expanded participation by Tim/Joe, neither of whom I think are spent talents. Particularly Tim. whose just released album is IMHO the best thing he's done yet. It's not a band which has one talented guy and 'a backing band', it's a band where all members were talented, could contribute quality songs, and could sing. See the other thread where five Eagles have had top 40 solo hits (if I remember correctly.) Deacon Frey might work for a tribute where there would be a need for someone to sing Glenn's songs. But, if they go on more permanently, then they don't need a replacement for Glenn. They could continue on as something different.

Now, I'm not saying that Eagles should or should not continue. But, they most certainly can continue. All they need to do is agree that they are going to do it, and there will be nothing to stop them. At present, this looks very unlikely to me. However, things can change. As I mentioned, there's a reason why they released an album called "Hell Freezes Over".

My opinion is: they should do what they (collectively) want to do. 'Eagles' belongs to them, and it's their lives they're making decisions about.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

AT, at the risk of beating the dead horse, of course, the future is up to the band, not us fans. I don't remember reading anyone suggesting otherwise here. However, fans shouldn't be precluded from respectfully offering their feelings and opinions about this. But, since this remains a contentious topic where fans, obviously, have a wide range of views, we all should be sensitive to that.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

How many people on this board would actually go and see this 'band' without Mr Frey? How many people consider that his songs were so unimportant that they can just be ditched? How many people would actually consider it the real thing?

As for the suggestion that they should consider doing an album it took them long enough to do LROOE. Why would Henley do an album to make more use of Walsh & Schmit? I got the distinct impression, with his stated opinion that it should have been a single album, that he wasn't happy with their contributions. They have their own careers for that.

I apologise for going over the top with the 'I can't express myself' stuff but I am finding this thread more & more depressing & distressing the further it goes. I hope that makes sense. I am NOT trying to tell the former Eagles what to do. But I personally don't WANT them to continue as if nothing happened. They haven't had a lineup change. Their founder died.

The very thought makes me sad, no Glenn no Eagles. They didn't break up to reunite. Glenn didn't quit, he didn't retire: he died. There is no reunion to be had. I just want to cry now.