Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Border Desperado

Default Re: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Fortunately, we will always have their wonderful library on albums, CDs, YouTube, and our phones!

I agree with what others have said here. A few tribute shows with Deacon may be feasible, but not a so - called Eagles reunion. The Eagles was Glenn's life, not Deacon's. I can't think Deacon would want to live his life as a stand - in/substitute for his dad.

I've read elsewhere(in a facebook group actually) people writing that he Eagles should continue with Deacon in place of Glenn. Those of us who've been around a while grew up with the Eagles, we've been around the block a few times with them & matured with them. You can't bring that back again, or turn back time.

The Eagles weren't forgotten when they 'took a 14 year vacation, and they won't be forgotten now. OK so we're all sorry there won't be any more live shows, but they've given us some great music & memories. Their songs will still be played on the radio, people will still talk about them, and in this way the band will always be with us. Also, Don, Joe & Timothy are still making new music & doing shows.

Banned

The little footage I've seen of Deacon on stage, with his dad, Deacon covered the Henley vocals. I can't see him subbing for his dad, no matter what Henley has said. The Eagles on stage are top notch professionals, I'm pretty sure that Deacon is a capable amateur at best.

Barring the obvious,Jackson Browne on Take It Easy, I can't see any further than J.D. Souther, as a cover for Frey on stage.

There seems to be a lot of support for a few tribute shows but reluctance to approve of a full tour. If Don, Tim and Joe toured together, I'd love to see it, particularly if they were promoting their new solo material rather than running through the ancient hits all over again. No disrespect to Glenn, but I think the show could be stronger without all his soft country hits in the set list.

Since Glenn's death, the Eagles have gone from, constantly making the global top ten grossing tours, to, I'm guessing, comparatively barely break even shows. A few tribute shows may appeal to sentimentalists but the Eagles are non sentimental touring musicians. Are they really going to turn their backs on megabucks success?

Despite their ages the Eagles are still capable of rejuvenation. I just played Business As Usual yesterday. What a great show opener and name for a tour

Stuck on the Border

Funk50, I understand you're stirring.

I don't know much about Deacon Frey but I've read that he studied at Berklee College of Music, which probably puts him in a different category to "gifted amateur".

I would agree that in a tribute concert, JD Souther would be a good substitute singer for Glenn. However, I doubt he would do more than that. Back in January, he said, "They're done. They're not going to go back out without Glenn, absolutely not. I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right."

It's become common for "classic rock" acts to work together to fill larger venues, such as Joe's tour with Bad Company. If Henley, Walsh and Schmit wanted to get a large audience, they don't have to put together a new "Eagles", they could just put together a package that allows each to play solo material with their own bands before coming together for an encore of Eagles songs.

For myself, I'd rather see each of them tour separately. Smaller venues and cheaper tickets together with set lists with fewer Eagles hits and more fresh material and deep cuts sounds appealing.

What I don't get is the people who want a reunion with a substitute for Glenn because they "never got to see the band". That opportunity has passed. They may as well see a tribute act.

BTW, in the notes of Marc Eliot's book, he says that at the time copyrights were being sorted, after Desperado, they also sorted out the ownership of the band name by Eagles Ltd such that no member could split and tour using the name.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    What I don't get is the people who want a reunion with a substitute for Glenn because they "never got to see the band". That opportunity has passed. They may as well see a tribute act.
    Speaking for myself, it's not that I want a reunion (concert) to happen without Glenn, it's that I would not pass up a chance to see it if it were to happen. There's a reason so many of these 60s and 70s acts continue to perform despite losing original members; people still want to see them, even if it's not the "real" thing. Lynyrd Skynrd comes to mind--were they a "tribute" act in the 80s? I'm sure even hardcore fans differ in their opinion about that.

I'm not convinced that Deacon Frey would even want to perform with a bunch of old dudes staring down 70 years of age and rehashing songs from the 70s. I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just trying to imagine it from his perspective. It's a different and special experience to share the stage with one's own father.

People make all kinds of emotionally-charged declarations when someone close to them has just died. It's not uncommon for things to change over time when the pain and grief are not quite as fresh. I think that's why Don H went from "the Eagles are over" to well, maybe envisioning something with Deacon Frey. The same thing could happen to J.D. Souther.
    Last edited by Delilah; 10-10-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The little footage I've seen of Deacon on stage, with his dad, Deacon covered the Henley vocals. I can't see him subbing for his dad, no matter what Henley has said. The Eagles on stage are top notch professionals, I'm pretty sure that Deacon is a capable amateur at best.

Barring the obvious,Jackson Browne on Take It Easy, I can't see any further than J.D. Souther, as a cover for Frey on stage.

There seems to be a lot of support for a few tribute shows but reluctance to approve of a full tour. If Don, Tim and Joe toured together, I'd love to see it, particularly if they were promoting their new solo material rather than running through the ancient hits all over again. No disrespect to Glenn, but I think the show could be stronger without all his soft country hits in the set list.

Since Glenn's death, the Eagles have gone from, constantly making the global top ten grossing tours, to, I'm guessing, comparatively barely break even shows. A few tribute shows may appeal to sentimentalists but the Eagles are non sentimental touring musicians. Are they really going to turn their backs on megabucks success?

Despite their ages the Eagles are still capable of rejuvenation. I just played Business As Usual yesterday. What a great show opener and name for a tour
    Well, thank you so much for that.

Sometimes it might help if you thought harder about what you write. You have offended me & I would hope everyone else who cherishes Mr Frey's memory.

You obviously believe that without Glenn the remaining Eagles (they are not 'the Eagles') could have megabucks success again. You outright state he was a liability yet you claim no 'disrespect'.

Oh, and the snide dig at Deacon as being a 'capable amateur' was completey unnecessary.

Good luck with this. If it happens I suppose you will feel vindicated. Well I will not. I will feel utterly hollow & cheated.

NB I see UTW wrote that you were 'stirring'. You could have done it in a rather more sensitive way. Or you could have considered the feelings of others.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-10-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Speaking for myself, it's not that I want a reunion (concert) to happen without Glenn, it's that I would not pass up a chance to see it if it were to happen. There's a reason so many of these 60s and 70s acts continue to perform despite losing original members; people still want to see them, even if it's not the "real" thing. Lynyrd Skynrd comes to mind--were they a "tribute" act in the 80s? I'm sure even hardcore fans differ in their opinion about that.

I'm not convinced that Deacon Frey would even want to perform with a bunch of old dudes staring down 70 years of age and rehashing songs from the 70s. I don't mean any disrespect, I'm just trying to imagine it from his perspective. It's a different and special experience to share the stage with one's own father.

People make all kinds of emotionally-charged declarations when someone close to them has just died. It's not uncommon for things to change over time when the pain and grief are not quite as fresh. I think that's why Don H went from "the Eagles are over" to well, maybe envisioning something with Deacon Frey. The same thing could happen to J.D. Souther.

I maintain that Henley's statement was twisted out of context & out of proportion by some media.

IF there ever were any more concerts, it most certainly would not be about "mega bucks success". They all have plenty of money, and were more successful than any other American band. When you get older, and friends start dying, you get a whole new perspective on things. Especially when that friend has been so important in your life's work. I think it would be about honoring him---(whose singing of "all his soft country hits" is the main reason I and many others loved this band). It can never again be "business as usual". Ever. JMHO.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

Don, Joe & Timothy wouldn't be so disrespectful to Glenn's memory as to tour under the name 'Business as Usual'.

Also, Glenn's songs are a part of what the Eagles were. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand the Eagles music at all.

I find it hard to respond to Funk 50 when he makes a post like the above.

I don't know what happened to Funk 50 in the last few months. Ever since Glenn's death, he's made cruel comments about how the band would be better off without him, starting when Glenn was barely cold in his grave.

I don't understand it. Funk 50 has always stirred crap up before and he was often rude, but he was never cruel. I don't know what changed. Death usually makes people more sensitive to others, but Glenn's death has only made Funk 50 go from occasionally obnoxious to downright sadistic whenever the topic arises, taking pleasure in causing other fans pain.

At any rate, as I've said before, this topic is another tempest in a teapot. I wish people would check out the context of a quote before they spread around distorted "facts."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten