Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite Christmas Songs.

Stuck on the Border

I am with GA on the Pogues' Fairytale of New York. It is THE classic Chirstmas song. They split up several years ago now.

My other Christmas favourites are the Pretenders' 2000 Miles, Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody and John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War Is Over). I'm afraid that I am one of the people for whom Please Come Home For Christmas does not work at all.

The only favourite carols I have are Hark The Herald Angels Sing and O Come All Ye Faithful. I'm sorry, but I'm not really that way inclined.

Is there a link somewhere to the Pogues' song? I've never heard of it.

Stuck on the Border

These are the lyrics, but be warned, they are not for everyone.

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/pogues/..._20109730.html

This is a performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

Well obviously I have to include Please Come Home For Christmas because...well.....Don is just fabulous on it!

Oh Holy Night - probably my favorite! There are several versions that I like, but Russ Lee's version is my favorite!

Silent Night - Such a pretty song when sang the right way! Russ Lee's version is again my fav.

I also like Go Tell It On The Mountain and Joy to the World (both of which have Russ Lee's as my favorite version as well hehe....yes...he did a Christmas album LOL)

Stuck on the Border

I just went crazy on ITunes downloading my favorites this past weekend!

O Holy Night is probably my favorite traditional. Josh Groban's version is my favorite. Little Drummer Boy and Silent night, also.

I love Bing Crosby's White Christmas, but I think I like the Drifters version even more (the one that's in the movie "Home Alone").

Chuck Berry's "Run Run Rudolph" is fun. Brenda Lee's "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree".

I love Feliz Navidad because it brings back memories of my then 4 year old son singing louder than the rest of his pre-school class at his Christmas concert "Feliz La-di-da!!"

Stuck on the Border

I would have thought Go Tell It On The Mountain was more just a straight gospel song rather than being associated with Christmas?

I know Feliz Navidad from hearing it everywhere I went in the US over Christmas 1988 in Los Angeles and San Antonio. There is also the German song O Tannenbaum (otherwise known as Oh Christmas Tree).

I do like We Three Kings, Oh Holy Night and Oh Little Town of Bethlehem - but all the stuff about snow like Winter Wonderland doesn't cut much ice (pun intended) in the middle of an Australian summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I would have thought Go Tell It On The Mountain was more just a straight gospel song rather than being associated with Christmas?
    "Go tell it on the mountain that Jesus Christ is born..." sounds like Christmas to me.

Thanks for the link to the Pogues. You're right, that song isn't for everyone.

Some people make fun of Celine Dion, but the woman does have an amazing voice. Here she is doing "O Holy Night" - at 4:28 I just get chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jr-2eyRtV4

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

In my neck of the woods "Go Tell It On The Mountain" was always considered a Christmas song...I guess I just assumed. Like DF said, it does talk about Jesus Christ being born, in fact....the entire song is about the birth.....which is what Christmas was originally intended to be about anyway

I would never make fun of Celine Dion Soda.....I think she is one of the most amazing vocalists I've ever heard! She was fantastic on the American Music Awards!

Yes, Go Tell It on the Mountain was originally a Christmas song - it just got so popular as a spiritual it became fun for folks to sing it year-round. Nothing wrong with that.

Have you guys heard the way BNL does "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" with Sarah McLachlan? I LOVE it! Here is a version of it - ignore the poor video and just listen to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unLYrtx8aKA

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten