4. All About Tonight - Blake Shelton
    5. Stop Draggin' My Heart Around - Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty
    6. Taxman - Beatles
    7. This Is How We Roll - Florida Georgia Line
    8. My Sharona - The Knack
    9. Shakedown - Bob Seger
    10. Too Much Time On My Hands - Styx

-----

Continued my theme of picking only one but it was hard. This is another eclectic list showing my love for both classic rock and modern contemporary/today's country.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: The Ten Song Shuffle Game

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thank you very much! I had a quick check on iTunes and found it available on that same compilation album, which is very handy for me.

When I went to see Don last week, the playlist for the drive to and from the concert was only ever going to have one flavour! I had a playlist of about 60 tracks, all of which were either Don solo tracks or Eagles songs (mostly featuring Don on lead vocals. but not exclusively) It's about an hour's drive from where I live to the venue in Manchester so there was enough time to get in a decent number of tracks on random shuffle both there and back. I didn't realise until a couple of days later what potential this had for this thread, and since then I've been meaning to get back to this. Better late than never, I hope...

This turned out to be one of the most difficult ones I've ever done! The only one of these songs that I have to say I don't think would ever get into my top three at any point in time is Waiting Tables (which I like, as in merely 'like'), I love virtually everything else on this list. I had to snub so many songs I love, but I think I'm satisfied with my top three, all of which are in my opinion simply exceptional works.

1. The End Of The Innocence
    2. King Of Hollywood
    3. Waiting In The Weeds
    4. Waiting Tables
    5. Learn To Be Still
    6. That Old Flame
    7. Those Shoes
    8. Do Something
    9. Dirty Laundry
    10. The Heart Of The Matter

The Heart of the Matter is probably my favourite Henley solo track. However, the gorgeous WITW (which sounded absolutely wonderful on a warm summer's evening. I don't see too many of those! ) and The End of the Innocence aren't far behind and I feel all are amongst the best songs Don has ever made. Commiserations to the other songs which might have stood a chance of a podium finish in a different shuffle.

Fourth place would probably go to Those Shoes, for what it's worth. Of course, this also means that two songs I loved from Don's show didn't make it... Decisions, decisions!

In order from my iPod Shuffle (I synced it, so it would have a fresh shuffle):
    1. Johnny Can't Read - Don Henley
    2. Safe European Home - The Clash
    3. The Heart of the Matter - Don Henley - GOLD
    4. Bent - Matchbox Twenty
    5. Dirty Laundry - Don Henley
    6. You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey - BRONZE
    7. Clash City Rockers - The Clash
    8. It's So Easy - Buddy Holly
    9. Do You Love Me? - The Contours
    10. Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel - SILVER

The Heart of the Matter is a beautiful song, and I love how it bookends with The End of the Innocence. Henley sings it so well and I like the guitar sound that comes after the "forgiveness"

Solsbury Hill is poetic with its rhymes, and I used it for a pantomime assignment in high school. I like how you can have your own interpretation for the lyrics.

You Belong to the City on loop helped me get through two 3.5 week winter college classes. All I had to do was write BS for a counseling class and write discussion posts & edit a video for Film Appreciation.

Sorry, I was too lazy to find the right colors for the songs because I can't tell what would look good for gold and bronze.

Stuck on the Border

I could write an esay on Solsbury Hill.

1. Life In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
    2. Get It On - T. Rex
    3. The Heartache - Warren Zevon
    4. I'm Gonna Be A Wheel Someday - Paul McCartney
    5. The World Turns All Around Her - Byrds
    6. Behind That Locked Door - George Harrison
    7. Let's Get Married - Al Green
    8. While My Heart Is Still Beating - Roxy Music
    9. Bird On A Wire - Leonard Cohen
    10. That's Why I'm Here - James Taylor

No real standouts here.

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    Sorry, I was too lazy to find the right colors for the songs because I can't tell what would look good for gold and bronze.
    RCF, sorry for the delay in my reply to this - I had been hoping to get around to doing a shuffle this week but there has been other stuff I felt I needed to get around to listening to (mostly the albums in my collection which I don't play as often) and couldn't make time for it. Although it might sound weird, of the text colours available I find 'orange' works quite nicely for gold and 'Sienna' gives a distinctive bronze colour. I also use 'Gray' for silver as I think the default silver colour is a bit difficult to see on some skins - it isn't a problem on 'darker' ones like One Of These Nights skin, but it is particularly a problem on lighter ones like On The Border). The way you indicated your choices on your shuffle is absolutely fine though, anything goes as long as it's clear.

EDIT: What the hey, I decided to do one this afternoon:

1. Round & Round (It Won't Be Long) - Neil Young
    2. Corporal Clegg - Pink Floyd
    3. Royal Orleans - Led Zeppelin
    4. Hey Hey, What Can I Do - Led Zeppelin
    5. The Last Few Bricks (Live) - Pink Floyd
    6. The Trial (Live) - Pink Floyd
    7. Sara - Bob Dylan
    8. Marbletown - Mark Knopfler
    9. When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
    10. Albuquerque - Neil Young

I'll try to be reasonably brief - not especially varied, with 8 of the 10 songs by just three artists, and several of my favourites absent altogether, Eagles included. It's quite a bit different from the last non-specific shuffle I did as although I like all of these to a greater or lesser extent, I think one song stands out to me as being clearly the best here - When The Levee Breaks. If I compare it to my previous random shuffle in this vein (post #29), I'd say Levee is probably the best song from the two, but any of the top four from that shuffle would have come second here.

The silver medal goes to another Led Zeppelin song - oddly enough Hey Hey... didn't make the top three when I did my Led Zep-only shuffle, but does here! Bronze goes to Bob Dylan's Sara from the Desire album. Reasonably confident in my choices this time around overall.
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 07-24-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Another re-synced iPod Shuffle 10 song "jamboree."

1. How Long - Eagles - GOLD
    2. I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down - Elvis Costello
    3. Life in the Fast Lane - Eagles
    4. Bankrobber - The Clash - SILVER
    5. Electric Feel - MGMT
    6. Long Day - Matchbox 20 - BRONZE
    7. It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) - R.E.M.
    8. No Sleep till Brooklyn - Beastie Boys
    9. The Call Up - The Clash
    10. Three MC's and One DJ - Beastie Boys

"How Long" was the first Eagles song that I remember and paid any attention to back in 2007-2008 on VH1. I was only like 9 or 10 at the time. I liked it then and now I love it. I love listening to it on repeat when I'm doing schoolwork/studying. It's sad that they used the "Buh buh buh bye bye baby, rock yourself to sleep" from the How Long video when they announced Glenn Frey's passing. I also love how Glenn sings, "Goodnight baby, rock yourself to sleep" and then it goes Don and then to Glenn.

The Clash was my second love of a band, after Matchbox Twenty. I love Joe Strummer's vocal on "Bankrobber" as well as the reggae feel.

Matchbox Twenty was my first favorite band, and I like "Long Day." I even considered using it for a drama project, but it had one profanity. It's angsty, and I was into the band around the time I first heard "How Long" on VH1.

EDIT: Thanks, JCL, for telling me the colors for the top 3.

Stuck on the Border

Genesis:

1. The Musical Box
    2. It
    3. Back In NYC
    4. For Absent Friends
    5. Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist
    6. Dodo/Lurker
    7. Behind The Lines
    8. In The Wilderness
    9. Shepherd
    10. Looking For Someone

A nice selection of mainly Gabriel era tracks, but the mighty Dodo/Lurker wins Gold!

The unreleased track Shepherd is the only Genesis song which features a (partial) Tony Banks lead vocal.

1. Country Must Be Country Wide - Brantley Gilbert
    2. Keep Pushin' - REO Speedwagon
    3. All Down The Line - Rolling Stones
    4. Do Ya - ELO
    5. Who Made Who - AC/DC
    6. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
    7. Roller Coaster - Luke Bryan
    8. Estranged - Guns N' Roses
    9. Foreplay/Long Time - Boston
    10. Young - Kenny Chesney

Probably going to surprise some with my choice, but this is what I'm feeling today out of this shuffle.

10 songs from the iPod Shuffle

1. Some Nights - fun.
    2. Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations
    3. Buddy Holly - Weezer
    4. Clash City Rockers - The Clash
    5. Train in Vain (Stand by Me) - The Clash
    6. I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton
    7. Heartache Tonight - Eagles
    8. Dirty Laundry - Don Henley
    9. Janie Jones - The Clash
    10. Heart of Gold - Neil Young

I don't feel strongly enough about these songs to have a top 3. Other than "Should I Stay or Should I Go," I think "Train in Vain" is a good song to introduce someone to The Clash because I know that the punk rock sound can be unappealing and rough at times.