Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Great minds think alike, Shun!

Us over here in Europe and beyond wil have to rely on you guys to give us every detail 'cos we won't be able to see it

...so glad they're finally getting their due recognition...does Obama usually attend this?
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Is it doesn't get deleted, I do expect it to be on YouTube. A lot of the show's clips are on Youtube and they are the full performance. I even found Billy Joel's one.

Yes he will be there. Ever since they started this, all the presidents have been there. They sit right up there with the honorees. They are usually honored at the White House first before they tape the tv version. Too bad we can't see what is said at the White House.

Banned

Forgive my ignorance but the Kennedy Centre Honours means nothing to me.

What is the significance of Kennedy Centre Honours?
    Is Kennedy the former president of America?

I was just thinking what a great honour it was for Joe to be featured on a mural in Ohio. I suppose this tops it.

Here a nice video of who are the honorees for this year.

https://www.facebook.com/KennedyCent...type=2&theater

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

I was just thinking what a great honour it was for Joe to be featured on a mural in Ohio. I suppose this tops it.
    It's an annual event that honors those in the performing arts who have contributed the most to American culture. It's like the cream of the crop for honors. Yes the event and the place where the honors take place (John F. Kennedy theater for the performing arts) are named after President Kennedy.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

F50, here is a link to the Center.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/

It's the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Their 'About' page is pretty substantial and gives a lot of information, but it doesn't give much about the Honors Award. It is given as a Lifetime Achievement-Type award for all those who have contributed greatly to the Arts (in its various forms) in the United States. The award is not limited to US artists, just those who have impacted our society. For instance, Led Zeppelin received the Honors Award a few years ago.

Here are some quotes about this year's Award from their website:

"Quite simply," said Kennedy Center Chairman David M. Rubenstein, "our Honorees represent the voices, soundtracks, and stories of our personal lives and memories."
    "When I look at this year's outstanding slate of Honorees, I am struck by a powerful common theme-artists as history-makers, artists who defy both convention and category," commented Kennedy Center President Deborah F. Rutter.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

BTW, tickets to this event are usually very hard to get. It's one of the prime social events in Washington, DC. However, the Kennedy Center will be giving away two tickets through social media. All I know about is that the hashtag will be #SendMeToHonors, or something like that. When they release more information on it, I'll be sure to post it.
    VK

Its a nice honor. They honor people in television, music, dance, etc. They honor about 5 every year. Its a week long celebration The president honors them at a private dinner. Then they have many people at Kennedy Center to honor them with song and even dance. The taping is usually 3 weeks before its televised. Here's more on the Kennedy Center Honors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_Center_Honors

VA. We were posting at the same time. LOL

I read this earlier today and it may be of interest for those who have followed this event through the years. The administration of the Center and the Honors have changed and there have been some changes, like 5 Honorees instead of 4. When I lived in the DC area, it was always a huge splash that was covered on all the local media, and I'm sure still is. God willing I'll be back in the area by Dec. I've decided that horrible traffic, appalling weather, high prices, and mosquitoes are better than being here.
    VK