Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm enjoying season 2 of "Humans". It's really good, enjoyable sci-fi with important themes. It's set in the current day but in a world where human-like robots ("synths") are commonplace - essentially a slave class. They are used for domestic duties, caring for the elderly, as sex workers and in season 2 even as a marriage counsellor (who can switch to a more soothing scottish accent if it makes the couple more comfortable!). There's also action, adventure and conspiracy mixed in. It's based on a swedish series.
    My husband likes this show, which I could not get into at all, same as I could not get into Westworld. My current favourite show is Lucifer.

As a Walking Dead fan, the current season with its horrible psycopathic cartoon villain is the worst ever, and the number of comments on social media from people who say how much they love this creep is very depressing. It's possible to identify with villains if they have decent language to speak (any villain in Shakespeare). There is more to it than being sadistic & laughing at people.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    As a Walking Dead fan, the current season with its horrible psycopathic cartoon villain is the worst ever, and the number of comments on social media from people who say how much they love this creep is very depressing. It's possible to identify with villains if they have decent language to speak (any villain in Shakespeare). There is more to it than being sadistic & laughing at people.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Watching certain episodes this season is about as fun as watching a hostage video. The one-note villain is tiresome and repugnant. I hope this isn't a spoiler but in last night's episode, the normal people were preparing to fight back, so hopefully this Negan character will be dispatched sometime. It cannot come too soon.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've become attached to "Frasier" reruns. How sad am I. The show was so well done.

Peep Show
    The Larry Sanders Show

I thought last night's "Walking Dead" episode was the best all season, possibly since the previous season's episode about the Wolves attacking Alexandria. As others have expressed here, I have no affection for Negan whatsoever. If not for his looks, I suspect his character would be universally denounced. Maybe the depiction as a "one-note villain" is meant to reflect human devolvement as the ZA wears on. The mid-season finale gives some hope.

<SPOILER ALERT>

Speaking of looks, I'm bummed that the hottest guy got knocked off.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Speaking of looks, I'm bummed that the hottest guy got knocked off.
    Yeah, he was fine wasn't he? I'm not familiar with his background (new viewer here), but he seemed kinda nice too.

Have you all been watching the show from the beginning? I was wondering if they ever went into much detail about the virus that caused the zombie plague: its origin and whatnot.

I've watched from the beginning, and there has been no revelation about what started it all or what the etiologic agent is. I was hoping it would be shown in the spin-off series "Fear the Walking Dead" but it wasn't.

Spencer seemed to be a nice, decent character who was somewhat sheltered and naive. The writers portrayed him as a little shady, too. He did try though, and I think he had a point about Rick bringing trouble to the community. When he set out to try to ingratiate himself with Negan, I had a bad feeling.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I had completely forgotten about Spencer being the son of Deanna, the Alexandria matriarch. I had hints about what would happen to him so I wasn't surprised, although it was overly violent.

I was pleased to see the real Rick back & the others back in the fold. Now perhaps they can get on with it.

I must also say that Negan was given a script which required him to act, horrible though he was, instead of just standing around laughing & posing.

The other much vaunted arrival is The Grand Tour - the Amazon Prime replacement for Top Gear. Sadly there is a huge budget which appears to have been spent mainly on massaging Jeremy Clarkson's already huge ego. The other two, James May & Richard Hammond, are even more sycophantic sidekicks & the thing is so scripted their own personalities have disappeared.

They couldn't use The Stig or the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car so they have an ex NASCAR driver making sneering comments about European cars and a pointless segment in which celebrities are due to appear but are 'killed'.

They could still be at the BBC if Clarkson didn't think the world revolved around him. As it is they run the risk of becoming a parody of themselves.

I didn't like the way the BBC tried to continue TG with Chris Evans & Matt LeBlanc, but now that Evans has gone, I think TG can beat TGT at its own game.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Even though I don't watch "The Walking Dead" I am a fan of Jeffery Dean Morgan and have seen how other TWD fans love him on there. He does have a huge fanbase especially with us women who loved him on "Grey's Anatomy" and some films (me) and others who love him from playing the 2 main characters' dad on "Supernatural". So a lot of it is love for JDM not his character.

I'm also really happy today with the Golden Globe noms, especially for the TV side!!! Three of my new favorite shows "The Crown", "Stranger Things", and "This is Us" got nominated for Best Drama Series. But they are going up against "Westworld" and "Game of Thrones" so it'll be tough competition. A lot of my favorite TV and film actors got nominations too and a surprising amount of my fav musicians for their songs in a movie.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Now that the shows are coming back and most of the mid-season ones are premiering besides my normal shows so far I'm loving the new season of "Sherlock"!!! It's finally airing the same day as the UK here in the US and it's been so good with so many twists. For new shows so far I'm loving "Emerald City", the new take NBC's done of "The Wizard of Oz". They keep calling it a limited series, which usually means it's a miniseries (story told only in one season), but the ratings are good for Fridays.

Also, I'm really looking forward to checking out "Victoria" on PBS this Sunday about the story of Queen Victoria (it already aired in the UK) and then on the 26th the new take on the Archie Comics characters "Riverdale" starts and it's already getting great reviews. It is darker and has more of a "Twin Peaks", "Gossip Girl", and supernatural vibe, but makes sense since they are supposed to include the "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" characters as well as the "Archie" and "Josie and the Pussycats" ones and the comics themselves are starting darker storylines too and I loved all three comics/cartoons/90s shows as a kid.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

I wrote this back in early November.
    Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I'm getting hooked on The Americans. It's a nice twist on the Cold War spy drama to have the protaganists be KGB spies in Virginia. The time period is early 80s with Reagan as a new president and the secrets relate to the SDI programme. I'm still on series 1, so please don't spoil me!
    Also funny that the russian spy pretending to be american is played by a welsh actor.
    It started as a slow burn. I enjoyed it but was busy watching other things and so it was an occasional pleasure. Since Christmas, it has really taken a hold on me and after taking nearly two months to watch one season, I'm through the other three seasons in a couple of weeks. I'm also going back and reading weekly roundups in the bogs - there are so many! It's the kind of show people get obsessed with. The showrunners have announced that is has been renewed for two more seasons and that's it. Which is good, because they will get a chance to finish the story. Two years should take it to 1985, the arrival of Gorbachev and the beginning of the end for the Cold War.

Russian spies are nice and topical, too.

I highly recommend it. The only problem is I can't explain why it is so good because that would be giving away all the secrets. It's smart, well-written and well-acted. I've seen numerous articles on why it's the best show that no one is watching. The critics love it. There are complaints about the lack of awards love (though the two leads were both nominated for Golden Globes this year).

Now back to wondering how to fill in the next few months before season 5 shows in the US and I hunt for a way to watch it before I get too spoiled.