Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

I'm probably in the minority but I think releasing an album of Motown covers was a mistake. I wish he'd go back to the songs he wrote when he first went solo. Some of them are rather dark & depressing but in my opinion they are artistically superior to some of his really 'commercial' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'm probably in the minority but I think releasing an album of Motown covers was a mistake. I wish he'd go back to the songs he wrote when he first went solo. Some of them are rather dark & depressing but in my opinion they are artistically superior to some of his really 'commercial' stuff.
    I agree with you, 1-3 Motown covers are quite good but his own solo things are still better, especially the early years! The best example is probably In The Air Tonight, divine!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Wow, I'd forgotten just how much great stuff he had! I remember a period in the 80's when radio stations would play a couple of Phil songs every hour! And I had some of his stuff on cassette... can't remember what though.

I love ITAT too, and Easy Lover is fantastic.

I may be in the minority here, but I also really really love "You'll Be In My Heart" from the Tarzan movie...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Lots of Phil Collins on the local radio here yesterday after his retirement announcement. All of it good stuff.

One DJ commented on the Motown cover album saying it 'wasn't his best ever purchase by Phil'. I have to agree on that too. Maybe not the best way to go out.
    Melanie

Eagleskiwi, I also love "You'll be in my Heart" from the Tarzan soundtrack. That song helped me through a mighty rough time, during that time period when it was released.

I was a HUGE Phil Collins/Genesis fan in the 80's. I went to see Genesis several times, and also Phil solo. I was sorry to hear about his retirement, but I think it's great that he wants to spend so much time with his young sons.

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I read in the paper yesterday that he is not retiring, he is just taking some time off to be with his son and to let his hand heal.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Genesis is a very, awesome band. LOL I remember listening to Phil Collins as the singer and then hearing that same band with Peter Gabriel. They differ just a little bit, but I love Phil Collin's voice a little more. Follow Me, Follow You is one of the many that is my favvies from them. This band is one of a kind. I loved when he did songs for Brother Bear and Tarzan. LOL. Those songs are special.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Out on the Border tjrrockandrollmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AzEaglesFan View Post
    I read in the paper yesterday that he is not retiring, he is just taking some time off to be with his son and to let his hand heal.
    Phil stated on his own website that he indeed retired. Looks like David Gilmour is joining him in the retirement party.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Man that sucks that he is retiring!!!!!!!!! I want more music from him. LOL. I guess it is his time though.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

I adore Phil Collins! I wish I'd seen him live when I had the chance.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten