Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Top 10 Artists (other than the Eagles)

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Default Re: Your Top 10 Artists (other than the Eagles)

1. The Beach Boys
    I guess I am a sucker for harmonious rock bands. Brian Wilson was not just a songwriter, but a music composer. I think Smile is the greatest album never released and I dig Pet Sounds, as well as most of the early surf hits (and even Kokomo is a guilty pleasure).
    2. Phil Collins/Genesis/Peter Gabriel
    Yeah, that’s easy, putting three amazing acts under the same heading. Genesis and Phil Collins would probably make it in the top 10 separately as well, but I want to give more artists the great honor to be in my list. I especially like Mama, That’s All (Genesis), Another day in paradise, In the air tonight (Phil Collins) and Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel). I always found it striking to see that almost all Eagles fans I knew are also Genesis/Collins/Gabriel fans. Presumption once again confirmed.
    3. INXS
    4. Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    5. Bee Gees
    6. Electric Light Orchestra
    7. The Beatles
    But the best song by a Beatle IMO is Band on the Run by Sir Paul McCartney
    8. Tears For Fears
    9. The Rolling Stones
    10. I can’t really decide whether my #10 is Talk Talk or Coldplay.

I got into the Beach Boys and Coldplay most recently. Before, I mistook the Beach Boys for not much more than a surf band who also wrote God Only Knows by chance, but then I discovered the Smile Sessions and all the fascinating stories behind it.
    It took me a while before Coldplay’s songs and Chris Martin’s voice grew on me. I actually like Coldplay just as much or even more now they are moving into something more similar to dance music.
    Before that, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, just because it took me a while to appreciate them rightfully. Before that, in my childhood, all others pretty much, because my father would play them ALL THE TIME, and I just couldn’t resist liking them. It’s also how I became an Eagles fan.

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I had to think sometime before answering this, not because it was difficult as such, but difficult to explain my full musical journey from my list, although I'll try.

I've loved Fleetwood Mac for as long as I can remember. My parents have told me they used to play Rumours to me when I was very little, and I loved it even then! This makes them the stand out exception on my list. With all of the other artists on my list I only really got into them after I turned 18 (I'm 22 now). In most cases, my parents had at least one of these artists’ albums in their CD collection – usually my Dad’s, as I have pretty similar taste in music to him, whereas I differ somewhat from my Mum and sister.

I discovered Pink Floyd for myself in 2012. The first time I really listened to their music was on holiday when I heard a bar band play several Floyd songs. I was enchanted by Comfortably Numb and downloaded it soon after. I then got the Dark Side and Wish You Were Here albums that Christmas. My musical world was never quite the same after that!

I have my late godfather to thank for my love of Neil Young. I'd already listened to Harvest and After The Gold Rush, but he helped me hugely by giving me a CD with several of his most important albums on. I can't thank him enough and only wish I'd had more of a chance to discuss Neil's music with him before he passed away. He also burned a CD of Subterranean Homesick Blues for my sister (when she was really young) which was my first introduction to Bob Dylan, but the real start for me was when my Dad introduced us to Blood On The Tracks – this was in early 2011 I think.

I first heard Dire Straits when I was about 13 and my Dad played Sultans of Swing from his Money For Nothing CD (I think he’s been a fan since they started). I absolutely loved it but didn't listen to any of their other songs out until about five years or so later. My interest in Mark Knopfler's solo music, however, was completely self-initiated, as I decided to check them out after enjoying Dire Straits. The other artist on my own, Deep Purple, is the most recent one in my top ten (2015) - I decided to listen to them after watching a documentary on hard rock/metal, and loved what I heard.

With Led Zeppelin my Dad gave me a bit of a start as he had IV on CD. I later found out the first record he ever bought was Houses of the Holy. I then checked out their other albums by myself. Similarly, I got into Wishbone Ash by listening to Argus out of curiosity a couple of summers ago after discovering it in my Dad's CD collection. He also recommended Lynyrd Skynyrd to me (he saw them twice in the Ronnie era, I think), funnily enough while listening to On The Border-era Eagles.

Of my honourable mentions, Genesis is unusual in that my Dad isn’t that big a fan of them. I remember one guy I knew at school was a big fan of the Gabriel era band, so I think that influenced me somewhat, although that was before I listened to anything by them. I didn’t really talk about music much at school to be honest. Rush is another one I discovered for myself after hearing The Spirit Of Radio and Tom Sawyer.

The main problem with describing my music listening history with just these artists is that you could be left with the impression that I listened to nothing but Fleetwood Mac until the age of 18. As much as it might have seemed that way at times (I think the rest of my family would be quite happy if they never had to listen to Rumours front to back again!), this wasn’t the case by any means. My parents used to play music by classic artists such as James Taylor, Carly Simon and Jackson Browne in the car. I enjoyed all three of these, although I liked Taylor best. There was also this album called The End Of The Innocence and later a compilation by name of Actual Miles. That’s a story for another time though, I don’t think I can do that one justice here.

Later on they also played artists such as ABBA, Chris Rea (mostly greatest hits/best of albums) and some more recent albums – these tended to be big sellers like Coldplay’s A Rush of Blood To The Head and X&Y, and Hopes & Fears by Keane. I also had to sit through quite a bit of music that was my sister’s choice (and wouldn’t have been mine!). Overall there was some stuff that I liked quite a lot, some that was just okay, some music that I knew I had to put with, and some that I never got on well with. I also got a Beach Boys compilation for my birthday when I was 17 (one year before I started really building my own collection), which I enjoyed, although I do find some of their songs appeal to me a lot more than others.

I hope this is informative. There is a lot I can still say about this, especially my ‘early years’. Looking back, I think I’ve long had the bug for classic rock music, but it took a long time until I was really listening to enough of my type of music to realise that it was what I really liked.

Stuck on the Border

Thank you for going through the trouble of writing all that, JCL! Personally I enjoy these stories more than just seeing lists. I would write my own story (or at least a list), but I just can't pick the artists!

Stuck on the Border

Something I wish I could do would be to pinpoint the exact song that made me interested in an artist. There are a couple of artists I can do this for. Some of these artists are not in my Top 10 but they serve to illustrate that the old 'where were you when you first heard' stuff can be done. If I thought about it I could perhaps do more, such as Crocodile Rock, Band On The Run & Heart Of Gold for Neil Young. I have no idea which Rolling Stones & Led Zeppelin songs got me interested first. I have even less idea for the Beatles. As for Genesis I think I wrote about how I became a huge fan in that thread.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

Why I didn't hear it until 1976 when it was released in 1975 I don't know. We had a topic about songs which changed your life. This is one of them.

In 1978, my final year of high school, the following three songs appeared that had a huge impact on me & made me fans of those particular artists.

Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees

I never liked them before. I thought they were syrupy & sugary. Then this appeared & I was converted. NOT because it was 'disco'. Because it rocked. I then went & bought the Main Course album which includes my two other favourite songs by them, Nights On Broadway & Jive Talkin'. I had the great good fortune to see them play all three songs in succession on my birthday in 1989.

Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush

I have never recovered from hearing this & seeing the video for the first time. I guess you could say I've been a fan for her career. My husband was lucky enough to see her on her only tour, at the Empire, Sunderland. It's my Literature Song along with the inevitable Romeo & Juliet. I'm not actually a great fan of the book.

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

Sigh... I was too young to know Steets of London by Ralph McTell & along came that SAX & this gloomy portrait of my favourite city in the world. My favourite line:

He opens the door, he's got that look on his face

It's what is so magnetic & perhaps intimidating about the place.

Sadly after the City To City & Night Owl albums Rafferty burned out & is no longer with us but these two albums & his Stealer's Wheel work (I was in fact a massive fan of Stuck In The Middle With You all along) are worth hearing.

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

I could write a book on it, but once heard, it is never forgotten, at least not by me.

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

While this galvanic masterpiece made me a fan, it also made me remember certain other songs which had been creeping around in my head that I never acknowledged fully until Sledgehammer did its work (the metaphor is apt). I speak of course of Solsbury Hill, Games Without Frontiers & Biko.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-09-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Freypower, have you heard Baker Street Muse by Jethro Tull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irqadoy8MzU

http://www.cupofwonder.com/minstrel.html

I think Ian wrote it after living thereabouts at some point.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

For me it's difficult to pinpoint just one song that got me into each artist. In most cases, there was one song that got me interested in the first place, but it was other songs that I heard later that made me a fan as opposed to just liking one track. I will have a go at this, but I think it would also be a good idea to say which album I listened to first. In chronological order, from longest ago to most recent:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
    Dire Straits - Communique
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia
    Wishbone Ash - Argus
    Deep Purple - Machine Head (I actually got In Rock before MH, but I heard the Machine Head tracks first)

In most cases, the album I listened to first has remained my favourite (this is also true for the Eagles, as my first album was Hotel California and it's still my favourite). It's possible that the emotional attachment to them has clouded my judgement, but I think they are just the albums that I find to be most consistent and have the best songs. The main exceptions to this are Dire Straits and Neil Young. With Young, my second album was After The Gold Rush, which I found I liked better than Harvest, and with Dire Straits I found I preferred the other three of their first four albums as I listened to those (in fairness, I had already heard a lot of their best known songs before I heard any of their studio albums). I could also say Pink Floyd, as I tend to consider Wish You Were Here to be my favourite, but Dark Side is a close second, so much closer to the top of my list than Communique or Harvest.

I can't really name one song for Fleetwood Mac, as I was so young when I first heard them. I loved every track except Songbird, but I think my early favourites were Dreams and Go Your Own Way. However, The Chain has been my favourite for many years now. For the other nine artists on my list:

Bob Dylan - The songs that made the biggest impact on me when I first heard Blood On The Tracks were You're A Big Girl (beautiful) and Idiot Wind (fantastic lyrics).
    Pink Floyd - My first song was Comfortably Numb. I've loved it ever since, but it was Shine On You Crazy Diamond that really blew me away.
    Dire Straits - I heard Sultans of Swing long before I heard any of their others. Lady Writer was the first other song of theirs I heard. I liked it a lot, but I think the songs that really made me a fan were Brothers In Arms, Telegraph Road and Romeo And Juliet, in that order.
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway was the first song I listened to, but the two songs that got me into their albums other than IV were Over The Hills And Far Away, and Dazed And Confused.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - I started with Free Bird, then Simple Man. Both impressed me a lot, but I've become a bigger fan over the last 12 months or so after hearing That Smell.
    Neil Young - Heart Of Gold was the first song I heard. I remember instantly falling in love with Tell Me Why, too. Once I started listening to some of his other albums, Cortez The Killer amazed me, as did the two versions of My My, Hey Hey on Rust Never Sleeps.
    Mark Knopfler - One of the easier ones - the first two I heard were What It Is and Sailing To Philadelphia. Both are great, but I'd pick the former if I had to choose just one.
    Wishbone Ash - I heard the full Argus album at the same time (they don't really have any hits), although the song that most stood out to me was Throw Down The Sword.
    Deep Purple - The first one I listened to was Smoke On The Water. I loved it, but it was my second song, Highway Star, that really got me into them.

For my honourable mentions, the songs that got me into Genesis were I Know What I Like and Firth Of Fifth, while The Spirit Of Radio got me interested in Rush. Of a couple of other important ones, the first R.E.M. song I heard was Losing My Religion, and the one that solidified my fondness for them was Man On The Moon, although I find their albums a bit too inconsistent for me to put them in my top ten artists. With The Beach Boys I originally liked Sloop John B best (partly because I was so used to hearing chants based on that tune at football matches), but now I go for the timeless beauty of In My Room - as long as children have bedrooms, that song will never get old or irrelevant.

EDIT: Just remembered about my response to a topic from earlier this year (Five Songs That Have Made an Impact on Your Life), this gives a bit more detail about some of the songs that got me into different artists.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...595#post333595
    Last edited by Jonny Come Lately; 12-11-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Freypower, have you heard Baker Street Muse by Jethro Tull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irqadoy8MzU

http://www.cupofwonder.com/minstrel.html

I think Ian wrote it after living thereabouts at some point.
    Minstrel In The Gallery album, eh? Thank you. I will check it out.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, that's the one. One of my favorite Tull albums, but I think I'm in the minority.

I might be seeing Petty this summer. My mom is trying to get the date with Joe but it kight impact my Graduation depending on how many snow days we get.

1. Miranda Lambert
    2. Deep Purple
    3. Depeche Mode
    4. The Beatles
    5. AC/DC
    6. Twenty One Pilots
    7. Led Zeppelin
    8. Deep Purple
    9. The Killers
    10. Billy Joel