Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1977 DC concert

Default 1977 DC concert

Does anyone know how to find the full 1977 DC concert? I just watched the HOTE documentary for the umpteenth time, including the bonus concert footage, and I'd really like to see the rest of it. Why do we only get about 30 minutes of it?

Border Troubadour

Default Re: 1977 DC concert

Nowhere I have found, and given the band sat on it for over three decades I suspect any extra footage is well under lock and key. I suspect we only got 45 minutes (I would say slightly under half of the concert at a guess) owing to their relentless perfectionism, and either the rest didn't make the grade, or were too much effort to rectify.

There is certainly something suspect about the documentary playing the RMW footage and Joe singing 'Spent the last year Rocky Mountain way', when on the concert footage on the extra disk he sings 'Spent the last year Washington, D.C. way' at exactly the same moment...

Stuck on the Border

Groupie - The concert is the third disc in the HOTE dvd. It is about 40 minutes of the concert.

TLR - That concert in DC was a two day affair. I think they combined songs from both days for the disc. If I remember right(please correct me if I am wrong), Don said at his runway tour earlier this year that they were considering releasing the full concert. I would bet they have a shit load of film sitting in a vault somewhere. They claimed for almost 40 years they had no filmed footage of concerts and we get the DC concert when they release the HOTE dvd. I will take anything Don says with a grain of salt, especially regarding unreleased stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Groupie - The concert is the third disc in the HOTE dvd. It is about 40 minutes of the concert.

TLR - That concert in DC was a two day affair. I think they combined songs from both days for the disc. If I remember right(please correct me if I am wrong), Don said at his runway tour earlier this year that they were considering releasing the full concert. I would bet they have a shit load of film sitting in a vault somewhere. They claimed for almost 40 years they had no filmed footage of concerts and we get the DC concert when they release the HOTE dvd. I will take anything Don says with a grain of salt, especially regarding unreleased stuff.
    I think I remember hearing about that too. I doubt it will happen but as they get older and think about what they are leaving behind I think they say "why not" and release it. I remember Felder talking about in his book concert Audio being stashed away for "posterity", and even though it was Locked up, it got released anyway without anyone's consent. Irving was going to release unreleased songs for the millennium online but didn't. I love this band but man can they please release some stuff

New Kid - I know it's the third disc of HOTE, that's what I was talking about. 40 minutes is obviously not the entire concert. It really is too bad they've kept all of this material under lock and key. I think i read somewhere that they filmed every concert they'd ever done...so why not release some of it? I have no doubt it would sell.

Is there bootleg footage of the rest of the concert though? I haven't found any. To me, this was the eagles at their peak, they were never cooler than they were around 1976-1977. I'd really love to see the rest.

Stuck on the Border

Groupie - That whole concert was filmed - they chose to only release what is included with the HOTE dvd. Don said they "may" release the whole concert. I know they filmed post HFO. I am not sure about 72-80. I could be wrong but I think they did very little filming in the 70's. Like I said, I think they have a huge vault full of stuff they have never released.

Border Troubadour

Thanks for correcting me re: the D.C. gig guys, I had heard that Henley had said something but I did not know the exact context. Hopefully it leads somewhere!

More generally, I don't doubt there is probably days' or weeks' worth of audio (or visual) recordings from their entire career in existence.

My biggest gripe with the Eagles (pre-Vince Gill) was their complete and utter negligence of releasing live material. They are one of the biggest bands of all time, arguably the biggest in their homeland, and all they have is a couple of live albums, a TV special and a 13-year old DVD.

They missed a monumental boat in never releasing a DVD for the HOTE tour, which would have earned untold $$$ and given their fans a souvenir of what is probably their definitive tour (just don't mention LROOE...). Should they do it now, they are doing so after the passing of their leader and would no doubt be scolded for cashing in on his death. It saddens me that we have no reminder of the wonderfully-worked first portion of those concerts, Bernie's return and some long-buried deep cuts being revived.

Talking of hidden footage, I also recall snippets of a Long Run era bootleg being shown (Glenn introducing TBS and part of Lyin' Eyes). I had no idea at all any sort of visual footage from that era existed. As much as I dislike some of the output of that era, I would probably kill to see the remainder of it: Joe Vitale onboard, the likes of Sad Cafe and King of Hollywood... wonderful stuff.

(Out of interest, I am presuming Seattle, Houston and Christchurch were all planned releases but were cancelled for some reason? (Understandable for the latter!).)

Border Desperado

I think the band should really think about releasing anything that is quality to do so. It's either do it now, reap the rewards and accolades, or whoever owns the rights after they die will release it and reap the rewards. Why not enjoy it?!?!?!?

I hope Henley really does release this concert in its entirety.

What would be nice is a dvd with concert footage from different time periods, 1972-2016, not entire concerts, but different performances across the band's career. I have something like this for Led Zeppelin and it's great. I know it would sell, and it would be a nice tribute to Glenn.

Stuck on the Border

TLR - As far as I know Seattle and Houston are bootleg tapes filmed by people at the concerts - not the Eagles. I think Christ Church may be a bootleg too but the quality is so good I am not sure. I love that CC concert with the wind and rain.
    I will never understand why they never released a dvd of HOTE - they filmed it and could have made a ton of money off it. IMHO it was a big mistake.
    I would love to see the vault open up and release all the stuff we know they have. Hey Irving, we don't care if it's not perfect - just release it !