Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other Artists Who Appeared On Eagles Albums

Stuck on the Border

Default Other Artists Who Appeared On Eagles Albums

It struck me that I don't think we've ever had a topic about this - precisely because to my knowledge there were virtually no guest artists, apart from David Sanborn's sax on The Long Run. There was also a Celebrity Chorus on The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks.

But I've just done a quiz on Facebook & one of the questions asked 'who co-wrote & sang uncredited backing vocals on Heartache Tonight'? The answer is Bob Seger, of course. Has anyone ever heard that he sang backing vocals on the song?

For what it's worth here is EOC's list of additional musicians. It's notable that there really aren't any big name guest appearances.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/band/index.htm

Default Re: Other Artists Who Appeared On Eagles Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But I've just done a quiz on Facebook & one of the questions asked 'who co-wrote & sang uncredited backing vocals on Heartache Tonight'? The answer is Bob Seger, of course. Has anyone ever heard that he sang backing vocals on the song
    I have heard this, but only fairly recently. I have no idea if it is true.

Stuck on the Border

For what it's worth, Jack Tempchin's FB representative liked the comment I made about this. I said I'd never heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For what it's worth here is EOC's list of additional musicians. It's notable that there really aren't any big name guest appearances.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/band/index.htm
    Where's Al Perkins?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Where's Al Perkins?
    He does indeed play slide on Ol '55 but remember Soda put this together.

Also the only person who is actually credited as being part of the Monstertones on Greeks is Jimmy Buffett.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

We'll have to get those added to the list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

With great reluctance I looked up Eliot who states on page 184:

'The fact that Frey sang the lead, plus the presence of his mentor Bob Seger on backing vocals, suggests that it was much more Frey's song than Henley's'. Oh NO! (To be fair he says it's 'arguably' the best song on the album but when you read the rest of his comments it's the old damning with faint praise stuff again).

I loathe Eliot's book & I still have no reason to believe this. It could be true, I suppose. I would like to know where Eliot got this information. Does anyone else think they hear Seger in the backing vocals?

Border Troubadour

Hope you all haven't missed me too much

I heard the Seger-Heartache Tonight involvement years ago, I cannot for the life of me remember the source: I think I once saw Glenn on a TV interview on YouTube saying he rang Seger with the core of HT, when Seger blurted out the chorus over the phone, thus the song was born; however I'm sure I've also heard Glenn say he and Seger wrote the song together at one of their apartments...

On another note, I know he's not credited with any instrumentation on the album, but I'd love to know if Joe Vitale brought anything to the table for the percussion or keyboards on The Long Run. He obviously played both on the subsequent tour, and is credited as such on the Eagles Live album. I also seem to remember a relative unknown credited for guitar too: didn't someone on here once say someone used to on occasion play the rhythm guitar to Hotel California off-stage, a roadie or someone?

Stuck on the Border

I welcomed you back elsewhere TLR.

There's no argument about Seger's co-writing credit for HT (Eliot even states he came up with the title) but whether or not he sang backing vocals on the song.

As for Joe Vitale the same applies; if he isn't credited I doubt he's there.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome back from me too, TLR. Where ya been - I have missed ya around here!

And I can't pick out Bob Seger's voice in Heartache Tonight, but, honestly, the way the voices blend in the chorus, I can't really distinguish anyone but Glenn since his voice is so prominent. I, too, don't recall ever hearing that he sung backup on the song, although it is certainly possible I guess.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016