Thread: One of my favorite Bernie songs

Default One of my favorite Bernie songs

This is "Corduroy Road" which he wrote and sings on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album "Workin' Band." It's a good album and on Spotify, if you're interested.

His vocals on this are really good, and of course, the NGDB are premiere musicians, so you've got a good combination there. Just thought I'd share it since I've only seen it mentioned once on his threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYp2bI76O4

Default Re: One of my favorite Bernie songs

And for some nice Bernie banjo (and steel guitar) work from the same "Workin' Band" album: "A Lot Like Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaDVidIiIM0

Bob Carpenter handles lead vocals on this one. Kind of a dark song, but excellent work from the whole band.

His work with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band really gets overlooked. Thanks for the links! I like "Corduroy Road" - it's an interesting choice of imagery.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Hadn't heard this before. It's such a feel-good tune musically that I need several listens to get it. But I do like the chorus already.

People have heard a lot of the NGDB as far as singles go, but their albums have some incredible music. "Workin' Band" is on Youtube in its entirety, and is also on Spotify. You hear a lot of Bernie's work on it.

I'm not surprised they hired Bernie. These guys seriously respect good musicians. See them if you get a chance. They do a great show and they're good guys, too.

Glad you're liking the music!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    People have heard a lot of the NGDB as far as singles go, but their albums have some incredible music. "Workin' Band" is on Youtube in its entirety, and is also on Spotify. You hear a lot of Bernie's work on it.

I'm not surprised they hired Bernie. These guys seriously respect good musicians. See them if you get a chance. They do a great show and they're good guys, too.

Glad you're liking the music!
    Thanks for the links, Pippin. I’m one who is only familiar with the singles, although I have heard the “Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Vol. 2” collaboration, which I don’t think was ever released as a single. I’ll have to check out the rest of the album.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Delilah-- You're very welcome! I also highly recommend the Circle Vol I and Vol. III, as well. Circle III has some excellent tracks. There's a video on YouTube of "Circle" from the Vol. II record, with an all-star cast. Well worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI

After getting to know more about The Eagles through the History Of The Eagles DVD I at times have listened to a few solo songs by Don, Glenn, Timothy and Bernie and of the three of them I love Glenn's solo work the best, Don comes in second, and my third choice would be Bernie Leadon. Over the weekend while browsing an antique shop in search of vinyl records I came across a vinyl record The Bernie Leadon • Michael Georgiades Band Natural Progressions (1977) I didn't purchase it as I'm not really a Bernie fan but I do like his songs in The Eagles & the ones on that album I found after I listened to them online.

I know a few of the singles by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band but I'll check them out again as I love old music in general

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - I had totally missed this thread somehow. Thanks for posting those YouTube videos, pippin. I hadn't heard those tracks in ages so it was fun to listen to them again. I agree that Bernie was a good fit for the NGDB - too bad he didn't stay around with them a little longer.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016