Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Joel

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Billy Joel

I had to use the TM app on my phone, so it took a while and I didn't get a very good seat, but I did get one. I'm really looking forward to it!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Just got my tickets for his Nationals Park show in DC! I got spoiled by the seats I had for McCartney there last summer but I'm only a few rows further back for this one.

I've gotten to the point when I've seen almost everyone I want to/can see. Now I'm seeing a lot of acts I think I *should* see before they retire.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

wow guys I am aging myself but when I was a "Kid" I saw him at the academy of music in Philly when Piano Man album came out....talk about awesome and then I saw him a few times at his many Spectrum concerts in Philly....something definatly pre JAHH days lol

He puts on an awesome show and is very entertaining.
    I have been listening to his cd from 2009 in the car and I love the kennedy center honors tribute they did for him

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Went to the show last night and it was great!! I wish I had time to do justice with a real review, but alas, I have a lot of things on my plate right now.

The warm-up band was Gavin McGraw, and he was pretty good. He did one song that was rather long, but he walked around the arena as he sang, and came up in the aisle next to me to sing. Very interesting and the crowd ate it up and loved it.

I've seen Billy Joel twice before, but the last time was the Glass Houses tour, so it's been a while. He came out on stage and introduced himself as "Billy Joel's Dad." He said that Billy was "doing some hair styling thing somewhere", it was pretty funny.

They played Root Beer Rag which I heard him play live back in the 70's, and I loved it. They had the camera up in the air and pointing straight down, so you could see his fingers on the keys as he played. He said there was a mistake, though, I think the band wasn't in sync with him, and so he stopped the song and they then picked it up again from there. He was quite amusing about it.

He only had one encore, but it was five or six songs, and all songs from the 80's like Uptown Girl.

The surprise of the evening was when he introduced one of the road crew and said he'd sing. The guy came out and did an incredible job with Highway to Hell, and the entire place was rocking. Everyone seemed to like it, and all sang along. Billy played guitar on it, and just stayed out of the way. I was thinking, that as a solo act that played over two hours, it made for a good break for him.

He had some sort of inhaler/squirter thing and he kept spraying his mouth. He explained that it moistened his throat, that he'd seen Madonna use it once, and while it hadn't helped her, he found that it helped him. He made jokes like that all night long.

He had a trumpet player, and he had the guy play the Call To Post that they play before the Kentucky Derby, and of course the crowd loved it. Then he mentioned that Wilson Pickett was from Louisville, and then played a verse and chorus of In The Midnight Hour, and the crowd liked that as well. Of course, the crowd all noticed that he pronounced the name of the city "Louieville", which of course is not correct. He was smart enough to not bring up the topic of basketball.

He played Piano Man as the last song of the set, before the encore, and at the end, the band was quiet, he quit playing and singing, and gestured for the crowd to sing. It was great to hear that many people sing "Play us a song you're the piano man..."

If I think of more, I'll add to this, but it was a great concert, and I recommend catching this one to anyone who has a chance to go.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks for the review!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thanks VA! It sounds like a wonderful time!

Border Desperado

Thanks for the review VA, you're so lucky you got to see him!

Stuck on the Border

Thanks VA. Re Highway To Hell & the roadie, that happened the last time I saw him down here.

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

Thanks for the review! Makes me more excited to see him in July for sure.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, thanks for your review. I would like to see him sometime.

And, what is the correct pronunciation of Louieville? Do you pronounce the s?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten