Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: KISS

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: So KISS is now in the Hall Of Fame too

Here is the old topic, but either Soda or Dreamer will have to move the posts.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=3988

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: KISS

Oh my, chaim! Poor Paul! How horrible for a child to have to grow up like that! It breaks my heart.

And I'm not really a fan of KISS. I like some of their songs though.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I did feel badly for their fans when the original four didn't perform. When will that opportunity arise again?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I did feel badly for their fans when the original four didn't perform. When will that opportunity arise again?
    I don't think they will ever play together again. Gene is a softie, so there's possibly a part in him that would like to do it. When this Hall OF Fame thing started, I think Gene said he was willing to do it.
    Paul is very much in charge of KISS today. Perhaps because Gene was away so much in the 80's and still got the same amount of money, Paul has this "my way or highway" attitude today. Like Eric Singer said in a recent interview, "Nothing happens in KISS unless Paul says it does". This hasn't always been so. Paul keeps the thing focused. If Gene was in charge, we would get a folk album today and an all-star big band album tomorrow.
    So, while it was clear in the HOF ceremony that Paul still has a lot of affection for Ace (see his reactions behind Ace when Ace keeps saying some funny things) - although he obviously can't say it aloud - he seems to feel differently about Peter. Ace is lazy, but he's extremely bright and funny and can probably still deliver the goods on a good day. Peter has a real temper, he complains all the time about everything (always did - hence his nickname The Moaner) AND he can't really play anymore.

Also, when they reunited in the mid-90's, Paul and Gene noticed that all the old problems appeared again. PLUS the current linup is doing well today, so there's no need for a reunion, like there was in the 90's.

So, there are too many things - musical and personal - on the way.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-15-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Thanks for the info, chaim. Too bad about Peter. So do you think the "we're not playing because all of the members of the band weren't inducted" was just a cover for not playing due to bad feelings?

Stuck on the Border

Probably only Paul and Gene know for sure what the real reason was. The reason for not playing could be the one that was announced. Fans can always speculate, and I think it's also possible that Paul didn't want people to enjoy the original lineup too much that night, because he's been hyping the current lineup so much and bashing the original one!

In my opinion Gene is the only one of the original bunch who still has it both vocally and instrumentally. Paul can play, but his voice is gone. Peter can hardly maintain a beat anymore. Ace can of course still play rhythm well, but you never know if he's going to be great or absolutely horrible when he plays a solo today.

They could have played the first song the four of them ever played together - when Ace was auditioning the band. It's a Gene song, so Paul could have just played guitar and sung harmony. It's a simple song, but even there it's probably easy to lose the plot during the second verse if Peter and Ace aren't totally in sync when they play that syncopated part together.

Anyway, for the good times; during the reunion era some of them had lost a lot of their ability in terms of playing, but there were still moments when they were amazing. The first song the original lineup ever played together, as played during one of their best gigs (a very short one) in 1996:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9nA8x1u2aM[/ame]

Thanks for that video, chaim!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: So KISS is now in the Hall Of Fame too

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    KISS was definitely influential on late 70s/80s hard rockers and many years after that. I mean KISS influenced glam bands like Motley Crue (along with the NY Dolls) and plenty of others.

I'm not a diehard fan and I get sick of the whole brand and I'll be the first to admit they aren't world class musicians by any stretch but their songs are FUN and they are a great example of rock n' roll and having fun, no matter how trivial their lyrics or simple their music may be.
    Well stated, Austin. I'm not a big fan of their music or stage gimmickry either, but I do think they earned their place in the R&R HOF for the reasons you stated.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Just finished Paul's book. For a long time it seemed like a list of misdeeds done to him by various people throughout his life and description of the emptiness inside him that prevented him from communicating with people. But in the end it all seemed to come together. He found things that matter in life and realized how to become a better and happier person. Giving was one of the things he learned - as was not being judgmental. Even his mother (who's dead now) told him that he can call her anytime and talk about things. I was glad to read that his relationship with his parents got better. Paul knows that they do love him.

Stuck on the Border

Bruce Kulick (KISS's lead guitarist from 1984 to mid-90's) was there too, watching the original lineup being inducted.