Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

Default Re: What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

Ever since I moved to Memphis I've been listening to "Part of Me Part of You" a lot. I have a six-CD changer in my car that goes like this 1) Fleetwood Mac CD of some sort 2) Stevie Nicks CD of some sort 3) Lindsey Buckingham CD of some sort 4) Eagles CD of some sort 5) Glenn Frey CD of some sort 6) "Other." Right now "Other" is Don Henley's Greatest Hits, lol. At any rate, I find myself listening to Glenn's CD slot and hitting POMPOY a lot, pretty much every time I get in the car. I haven't plugged my iPod into the car for a while now. (That will change soon when it's time to do the themed playlists for my trips to Atlantic City and Aspen, though!)

Maybe it's because of the personal relevance of POMPOY's theme of change, and the uplifting way it ends, with those driving high notes.... love it, love it, love it. And, like many of you, I am celebrating the song currently in my signature!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Lou I 100% agree with you on HOTM. I can't even explain what that song does for me on so many levels. I'm pretty sure I've said all this before in other threads but when I first heard the song a few years ago, it was the "I'm learning to live without you now, but I miss you sometimes" as well as "the more I know, the less I understand, all the things I thought I knew I'm learning again." That will always be my favorite part of the song because 14 years later that's still what I feel about losing my Mom....that I'm still learning to live without her. The second line, after I lost her I felt like I had to learn my faith all over again. I didn't understand why and I had to start back at square one. It's a very emotional song for me. The bridge is also a part that gets to me. I think everyone has had people in their lives that have let them down and hurt them....I know I have for sure. It's hard to let go of that and move on but you realize eventually that you must. Not for their sake but for your own! So obviously that song is pretty much always my "song of the moment"

All of that being said, I do go in music swings, instead of mood swings. lol Lately my kick has been Last Worthless Evening and After The Thrill Is Gone. Don's voice just gets me every time with LWE! I will literally replay certain parts over and over again because it amazes me how emotionally loaded his voice is on that song! And with ATTIG....I'm not going to lie...I overlooked that song a lot in the past. No longer! It's a stunner! I can't believe I didn't pay more attention to the lyrics and the vocals....it's one of my favorites now!

Ok.....I'm done until my next "swing"

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    This is a great thread, Jess. And I must say that I can't argue one bit with anything that has been said in this thread so far.

I guess my song of the moment is Glenn's I Did It For Your Love. Ever since I listened to the Soul Searchin' album on its celebration date a few weeks ago, this song has been stuck in my head. It astonishes me how much this song has grown on me for reasons which can't be explained. For many years, I liked the song but didn't think there was anything really special about it. And then suddenly I heard it a few months ago, and WOW! it hit me like a ton of bricks how beautiful the song is. And now the more I listen to it - it just keeps growin' and growin' and growin'!
    Dreamer, that's the song that I have been listening to lately too, since I played Soul Searchin' straight through recently. I keep wondering what he "did' for her love. I find that for me, the song has become very potent. It moves me deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Although I love the original recording of this song, the HFO live version is stunning. The slower arrangement gives us time to focus more on the lyrics. The way Don sings it is so, so beautiful.

I'm also a big fan of the Christchurch version. His voice is so rough and emotional. (The cold and rain helped, I'm sure!)
    HOTM is my favorite of Don's solo songs and the HFO version is, imo, even better than the original. Don's vocals on that version are just so moving. It's been a while since i've watched Christchurch. I may have to pop that one in the dvd player soon.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I agree....as much as I love the original, it's the HFO version that just captivates me. It's so emotional to listen to! I love how it's slowed down a bit and Don's voice just blows me away. Sadly, I don't even know if I've heard the Christchurch version. Yes.....I'm horrible LOL

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, yesterday I started listening to LROOE again. Everyone probably knows Waiting In The Weeds has been my favorite song on there and yes, it still is. Everytime I hear it it just blows me away. I don't know how many times I listened to it yesterday.

The line I don't know when I realized the dream was over just breaks my heart. I know it's probably a love lost song (and this is another great thing about many of the Eagles songs, that we can interpret them in different ways), but I always can't help but think it's about the band breaking up and how they realized their dream and became rich and famous and finally, after all these years, it's about over and they will all go their separate ways. Don's voice throughout the whole song just makes you feel it all. The hurt, wistfulness, and ultimate recognition of the end of the relationship. How can he sing a song like that and portray in his voice so many different inflections (there are many in this song) which make the listener (me anyway) feel his angst so well? He sounds like he feels it, too. What a brilliant singer!

And then, and though you're with somebody else, he'll never love you like I do. He knows beyond a shadow of a doubt this to be true. For himself, at least. And I believe him and I cry.

The whole song, but especially these lines, just take my breath away. It's beautiful.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And I believe him and I cry.
    Well stated Brooke! That was eloquent!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Oh, I know what you mean, Brooke. The video I made for it has a similar theme:

Waiting in the Weeds video

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

OMG, I love, love, love WITW. I can't tell you the countless times I have played it in a row. The whole verse:

"I don't know when I realized the dream was over
    Well, there was no particular hour, no given day
    You know, it didn't go down in flame
    There was no final scene, no frozen frame
    I just watched it slowly fade away"

I can relate to that more than I want to admit.

Then, "small gray Spider spinning in the dark -In spite of all the times the web is torn apart" , reminds me to never get up and all things are possible w/persistance. Actually, that whole cyclical verse, about phases of the moon and the egg & dart... cycles that life just goes on...

Yeah, this song speaks to me. Then, when Timothy sings against the guys at the end... wow... it's just perfection.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Wow That was Fabulous Soda! You are so clever
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here